Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

IWeb's new website & increase in commission

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

IWeb's new website & increase in commission

Postby Bouleversee » May 16th, 2018, 5:50 pm

When I went onto my IWeb account today and accessed the research page, a completely different set up appeared, more like that of Selftrade, very large and spread out, and I noticed it said commission £12.50. I haven't been warned about any increase from the usual £5. Has anyone else been made aware of it? Needless to say, by the time I had pondered over the new layout and returned to my portfolio, the usual notice saying they had logged me out because I hadn't used my account for 10 minutes, which drives me mad because I have been reading the information and moving around the research page all the time. I have a very extensive list of holdings in 2 accounts and I really don't have time to keep logging in after every bit of research, which one has to do just to see the daily movements if nothing else which most brokers show on the portfolio list.

What do others think about the new research pages and are the portfolio lists not also going to be changed? I haven't so far found any broker's website changes to be for the better.

I tried to phone to query the increase but was told (after the usual lengthy recorded spiel) that there was a wait of at least 10 mins. so gave up.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Slice

Re: IWeb's new website & increase in commission

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 16th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Bouleversee wrote:When I went onto my IWeb account today and accessed the research page, a completely different set up appeared, more like that of Selftrade, very large and spread out, and I noticed it said commission £12.50. I haven't been warned about any increase from the usual £5. Has anyone else been made aware of it? Needless to say, by the time I had pondered over the new layout and returned to my portfolio, the usual notice saying they had logged me out because I hadn't used my account for 10 minutes, which drives me mad because I have been reading the information and moving around the research page all the time. I have a very extensive list of holdings in 2 accounts and I really don't have time to keep logging in after every bit of research, which one has to do just to see the daily movements if nothing else which most brokers show on the portfolio list.

What do others think about the new research pages and are the portfolio lists not also going to be changed? I haven't so far found any broker's website changes to be for the better.

I tried to phone to query the increase but was told (after the usual lengthy recorded spiel) that there was a wait of at least 10 mins. so gave up.

I can't see that myself, nor do there appear to be any changes on their dealing charges page:

http://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/char ... harges.asp

RC

Grumpsimus
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpsimus » May 16th, 2018, 6:26 pm

I have just had a look at the IWeb site and I can not see any reference to commission of £12.50. Even on the research pages it talks about £5 commission.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 16th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Well, I can assure you I am not dreaming. I wondered whether it might be because the holding I was checking out was an AIM share so I went on to my account again and from the portfolio page (which hasn't changed) clicked the cross for research against AZN and got straight onto the strange new layout and saw the £12.50 again. Very strange. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that last night, after receiving a message about a corporate action and found that was telling me that Trading Emissions had held an EGM to approve a distribution and the cancellation of their AIM registration prior to winding up the company, that the ex-entitlement date was tomorrow and that would also be the last day one could deal in the shares, I rang to complain that I should have been told the EGM etc. was coming up and also about the fact that I am constantly logged out while researching my large no. of holdings and asked why the warning is shown on the portfolio page, which one can't see while checking out x-d. dates etc., instead of on the page one is looking at. I think the person I was speaking to accessed the research page; I don't know whether she has switched me to the newer model or why I am seeing a different one from other posters.

I suppose I shall have to suffer a long wait on the phone to find out what has happened; perhaps I am not the only one and that's the reason for the phone wait. However, I think we can assume that once the new website is launched, they will also put the commission rate up so be prepared.

mc2fool
Lemon Slice

Postby mc2fool » May 16th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Keep your hat on :D. IWeb themselves do not have a new website -- at least not any newer than the new website they launched just three months ago. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3523&p=34285

The research pages have certainly changed (and yes, yuck) but although they do indeed appear to be part of the IWeb site they are actually re-badged Web Financial Group (Digital Look) pages. Halifax Share Dealing also uses these, with their own branding -- basically blue vs orange. Spot the difference:

https://www.markets.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/share-centre/sharedealing/details/?csid=10009
https://www.investments.halifax.co.uk/share-centre/sharedealing/details/?csid=10009

And therein lies the cockup. Halifax charges £12.50 per deal and what's obviously happened is that datum is also being displayed for the IWeb branded edition of those pages.

Everywhere on IWeb's site itself it still says £5.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 16th, 2018, 8:22 pm

So I finally got through and was told that the new website went live today but whether you could access it or not would depend on what browser you were using. TBH I find their staff's accents difficult to understand sometimes so I'm still not clear which browsers work but I think he said that
Firefox was the most compatible with their website. He said it now includes a lot more information.

As regards the £12.50 he said there were various errors they were trying to sort out including that one, that it was still £5 and that we would be notified if there was to be an increase. My guess is that it's only a matter of time.

What I didn't get round to was asking whether any changes were to be made to the portfolio pages, e.g. showing the daily price changes, which everyone else does. As regards the logging out without warning while you are on the research page, the person I spoke to yesterday said that whether any change was made to that would depend on how much feedback, i.e. complaints, they received, so I hope you will all do your bit.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 16th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Mc2Fool -

Funnily enough, I suggested to the chap I was speaking to tonight that it looked like someone else's webpage and perhaps that was why the price was wrong but he wouldn't admit it. I didn't spend long enough on it to identify it as that of DL and as I hate that and don't use it either and believe it not to be always accurate, you have made me feel very depressed, even if it's good news about the charges. Why couldn't they sort out that one at least before they switched? I much preferred the old one. What did that one not have that the new one does?

mc2fool
Lemon Slice

Postby mc2fool » May 16th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I didn't spend long enough on it to identify it as that of DL and as I hate that and don't use it either and believe it not to be always accurate, you have made me feel very depressed...

IWeb have always used DigitalLook+Morningstar for their research pages, at least for the over a decade I've been using them. It's a lot more obvious now than before 'cos it's specified in a huge box towards the bottom of each page, rather than the small(er) print before.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 16th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Really? I don't remember ever seeing anything on DL that resembled the individual research pages for my shares at IWeb.

mc2fool
Lemon Slice

Postby mc2fool » May 16th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Really? I don't remember ever seeing anything on DL that resembled the individual research pages for my shares at IWeb.

And nor will you now, but it is and was provided by them. Here's a web archive snapshot of the main page from a month ago. Scroll to the bottom and read the small print...

https://web.archive.org/web/20180419120415/https://halifaxiweb.digitallook.com/

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 16th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Really? I don't remember ever seeing anything on DL that resembled the individual research pages for my shares at IWeb.

No, DL provide custom page layouts for their rebadged services to other brokers. Barclays Stockbrokers (as was) used DL, but the pages were always in the 'Barclays' format.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 16th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Bree -

So whose format is the new one, then?

Gilesyb27

Postby Gilesyb27 » May 16th, 2018, 10:02 pm

I found the exact same thing today
a-don't like it, very spread out and couldn't find trades data
b-I don't believe that the commission price is a simple error....... more a glimpse of the future!

Glad I'm also not the only one to be infuriated at being logged out by a message I cant see and when I AM doing stuff on their site :roll:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 16th, 2018, 11:14 pm

Gilesyb27 -

So are you going to tell them you don't like it and how many times have you complained about the logging out? Unless we all, and I mean ALL, make a fuss, nothing will change.

Gilesyb27

Postby Gilesyb27 » May 17th, 2018, 9:41 pm

true, I've not complained, just presumed it is what it is. But I would if the price goes up 150%! :o

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”