Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Halifax vs iWeb, and regular investing

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
Jabd2001
Lemon Slice

Halifax vs iWeb, and regular investing

Postby Jabd2001 » July 5th, 2018, 7:46 pm

I am looking for a broker for both and ISA and a SIPP for a family member.
Shortlist is iWeb and Halifax. I know iWeb but have never used Halifax.
The accounts will be invested in funds with infrequent trading, and will be each worth around £50k
Any people with experience of both care to comment?
In particular, how flexible is the Halifax regular dealing facility - can you just set it to invest from a cash account (eg like Youinvest) or do you need to link to a regular DD (like Alliance Trust)?

Also, any comment on general administrative competence eg dealing with powers of attorney and third party mandates?
Thanks.

paulnumbers
2 Lemon pips

Re: Halifax vs iWeb, and regular investing

Postby paulnumbers » July 5th, 2018, 8:48 pm

The regular investing is very flexible. It doesn't even have to be regular, you can do "one off's", and from cash in the account.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » July 5th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Jabd2001 wrote:I am looking for a broker for both and ISA and a SIPP for a family member.

I know HSDL, but not iWeb! But as HSDL is Halifax, as is iWeb, they should be pretty well identical. But not having an iWeb account I don't know how 'identical' they are...

Unfortunately I have never used regular investing. I have in the past on an IT account used dividend reinvestment but, at £2 per trade, gave it up as too expensive for the then relatively small amounts involved. I have to say I have some gripes with HSDL admin.

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Postby BobGe » July 6th, 2018, 3:43 am

Jabd2001 wrote:I am looking for a broker for both and ISA and a SIPP for a family member.

Save for a little difference in charges, they are effectively one and the same. iWeb is the 'budget' product.

Jabd2001 wrote:In particular, how flexible is the Halifax regular dealing facility - can you just set it to invest from a cash account (eg like Youinvest) or do you need to link to a regular DD (like Alliance Trust)?

It can debit clear funds held in a sharedealing cash account or can be set to debit a linked bank a/c (one only) a few days in advance of the investment date.

Jabd2001 wrote:Also, any comment on general administrative competence eg dealing with powers of attorney and third party mandates?
Thanks.

Pass, sorry.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”