Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Can anyone IT minded make sense of this?

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
XFool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Can anyone IT minded make sense of this?

Postby XFool » July 11th, 2018, 7:11 pm

londoninvestor wrote:
BobGe wrote:Going back to the advice: "Our IT department have suggested updating the time zone on your PC to (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London and not GMT..." Can anyone find a difference between UCT+00.00 and GMT?

The key is in the "Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London".

So "(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London" doesn't mean "UTC+00:00 all year round", which would indeed be for all intents and purposes identical to GMT.

It means "UTC+00:00 as the base, but modified by the daylight saving time rules of the UK, Ireland, and Portugal". That means UTC+00:00 in winter, UTC+01:00 in summer.

To be fantastically pedantic, you could argue that Dublin shouldn't really be in here. Ireland has the same time as the UK and Portugal in practice, but has a different legal definition. Instead of having a standard time of UTC+00:00 which moves forward in the summer, Ireland has a standard time of UTC+01:00 which moves backward in the winter. "Winter" here being the exact opposite of the UK and Portugal's "summer" - every EU country that applies a time adjustment does so at exactly the same time of year: forward at 02:00 UTC on the last Sunday of March, backward at 02:00 UTC on the last Sunday of October.

So... ;-)

The simple answer (of course) is: If the PC was set to GMT, rather than (UTC +00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon and London with Daylight Saving Time, it would be out by one hour during BST. Whew!

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Postby BobGe » July 13th, 2018, 12:47 am

Ok, so...
"Our IT department have suggested updating the time zone on your PC to (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London and not GMT..."
would seem to be making the assumption that the PC is presently set to GMT - i.e. no daylight saving time set. Then changing the PC time zone from 'GMT' to '(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London', thus appling daylight saving time will correct the issue.

Put simply the advice is: 'your PC is set to the wrong time, set it to the time in use in U.K.'

Or in more detail: 'Our servers are using daylight saving time - we think you aren't. We think this is causing you unnecessary time-outs. Set your PC time to match our servers by setting your PC to '(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London' and activate daylight saving.'

Everyone agree?

londoninvestor

Postby londoninvestor » July 13th, 2018, 4:48 pm

BobGe wrote:Ok, so...
"Our IT department have suggested updating the time zone on your PC to (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London and not GMT..."
would seem to be making the assumption that the PC is presently set to GMT - i.e. no daylight saving time set. Then changing the PC time zone from 'GMT' to '(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London', thus appling daylight saving time will correct the issue.

Put simply the advice is: 'your PC is set to the wrong time, set it to the time in use in U.K.'

Or in more detail: 'Our servers are using daylight saving time - we think you aren't. We think this is causing you unnecessary time-outs. Set your PC time to match our servers by setting your PC to '(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London' and activate daylight saving.'

Everyone agree?

Yes, that's my interpretation too of what they're saying.

I mean it would be better if they fixed their underlying problem - clearly it's not impossible to allow users to have different timezones, or no American broker would be able to operate US-wide - but that doesn't necessarily help you in the short term!

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » July 13th, 2018, 5:08 pm

BobGe wrote:Ok, so...

I'm not sure where the "thus" comes into it.

On Windows 10 at least, what applies daylight saving time is having "Adjust for daylight saving time automatically" turned on. You can have your time zone set to "(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London" and not have it apply daylight saving time if you don't have that turned on.

Mind you, on W10 you can just set it to set the time zone automatically and it'll do the right thing -- well, it does for me at least :)

As for having the PC set to GMT, on W10 at least there's no such option...

londoninvestor

Postby londoninvestor » July 13th, 2018, 8:41 pm

mc2fool wrote:As for having the PC set to GMT, on W10 at least there's no such option...

It does have "(UTC) Coordinated Universal Time" which to all intents and purposes is the same thing as GMT.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » July 13th, 2018, 9:05 pm

londoninvestor wrote:
mc2fool wrote:As for having the PC set to GMT, on W10 at least there's no such option...

It does have "(UTC) Coordinated Universal Time" which to all intents and purposes is the same thing as GMT.

Indeed, and so is "(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London" (or any of the other UTC+00:00 options) without DST applied, for all intents and purposes. :D

But my comment wasn't about how to get GMT under W10 but that the instruction to change the time zone "to (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London and not GMT" was poor, as it could be confusing for some when they found it wasn't set to GMT 'cos there isn't a GMT option -- and, of course, it was totally flawed in not mentioning that the vital thing was to ensure that auto-DST was also turned on.

londoninvestor

Postby londoninvestor » July 13th, 2018, 10:00 pm

mc2fool wrote:But my comment wasn't about how to get GMT under W10 but that the instruction to change the time zone "to (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London and not GMT" was poor, as it could be confusing for some when they found it wasn't set to GMT 'cos there isn't a GMT option -- and, of course, it was totally flawed in not mentioning that the vital thing was to ensure that auto-DST was also turned on.

Yes agreed.

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Postby BobGe » July 15th, 2018, 4:44 am

Similarly, there may not be a (UTC+??:??) option. Vista, for example, has: (GMT+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

I've replied to ask what is their suggestion regarding DST. ;-)

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”