Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

iii auto subscribing to websites?

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
taylor20

iii auto subscribing to websites?

Postby taylor20 » August 15th, 2018, 5:36 pm

I've just had an email to my tddirect@mydomain.co.uk email address that is associated with my iii account, but for a subscription to the Northern Bear website?

The subject of the email is: Confirm your subscription to Northern Bear plc

With the content of:

Hello!

Hurray! You've subscribed to our website mailing list.
We need you to activate your subscription by clicking the link below:

Click here to confirm your subscription.

This may seem to be an unnecessary extra step but it prevents people being signed up unwillingly.

Thank you.

The link goes to the domain: http://northernbearplc.com/thank-you-fo ... bing/?blah blah blah

Has anyone ever had anything similar? (Seems a direct violation of GDPR to me).

I got the email at 10:45 this morning, and I've been nowhere near the Northern Bear web site (I have recently added a holding to my iii account though).

Weird.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: iii auto subscribing to websites?

Postby Breelander » August 15th, 2018, 10:04 pm

taylor20 wrote:I've just had an email to my tddirect@mydomain.co.uk email address that is associated with my iii account, but for a subscription to the Northern Bear website?

The subject of the email is: Confirm your subscription to Northern Bear plc

A long time before TDW became TDD and then ii I opted in to TDW's share holder information service that lets you vote on your nominee holdings as easily as if you held them as certificates. Part of that meant regular announcement emails. Some were forwarded by TD, but for some companies they come direct from the Registrar to me. Seems each company has different arrangements and TD set up whatever was appropriate each of my holdings.

Seems a direct violation of GDPR to me

Seems a direct consequence of GDPR to me that you now explicitly see what was always happening, but previously it had assumed your implicit agreement.

flint
Lemon Pip

Postby flint » August 16th, 2018, 12:07 am

taylor20

Personally, I would not click on the link without first contacting iii to check the link is OK.

taylor20

Postby taylor20 » August 16th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Breelander wrote:A long time before TDW became TDD and then ii I opted in to TDW's share holder information service that lets you vote on your nominee holdings as easily as if you held them as certificates. Part of that meant regular announcement emails. Some were forwarded by TD, but for some companies they come direct from the Registrar to me. Seems each company has different arrangements and TD set up whatever was appropriate each of my holdings.

Thanks, that would certainly explain it (although an odd and inconsistent method I would have thought?

Breelander wrote:Seems a direct consequence of GDPR to me that you now explicitly see what was always happening, but previously it had assumed your implicit agreement.

Well yes and no, Northern Bear are being compliant by double checking that I really want to subscribe. However I don't recall agreeing to this with TDW (Its the sort of thing I would _never_ knowingly agree to), or more importantly iii who should have re-requested confirmation when they took over TDW clients.

This is what it says regarding the information service:

Voting & Information
Subscribe/unsubscribe to our free Voting and Information Service. This enables you to receive shareholder materials and vote on decisions directly affecting your UK registered shareholdings.

Subscribe online to receive all information electronically. You can view the documents and vote in your voting mailbox.
Shareholder materials will be received electronically directly from the company in which you hold shares.
You will receive email notifications when new documents are available and so it is essential we have your correct email address.

Your current email address is tddirect@

I would like to subscribe to the Voting & Information Service

So although not explicitly stating that they will give away your email address, the line "Shareholder materials will be received electronically directly from the company in which you hold shares" certainly implies that they will.

Annoying because obviously I want the first part:

"This enables you to receive shareholder materials and vote on decisions directly affecting your UK registered shareholdings.
Subscribe online to receive all information electronically. You can view the documents and vote in your voting mailbox."

hey ho, now disabled.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”