Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Barclays Charge No Fees!

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
TahiPanasDua
Lemon Pip

Barclays Charge No Fees!

Postby TahiPanasDua » September 7th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Have Barclays resorted to altruism since the compulsory transfer of my portfolio from Barclays Stockbrokers to SmartInvestor? Or have they just screwed up?

In a phone conversation with Barclays a few days ago I was astonished to learn that they have not charged me any account fees since the transfer. Was that in August 2017?

I was informed that I would be charged from September onwards. Can anyone shed any light on this? Many thanks.

PS, despite some improvements to the new website since the changeover, I still find it a pain in the posterior and will instigate a transfer to HL just as soon as I can summon the massive energy required to get off the sofa!

TP2.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Re: Barclays Charge No Fees!

Postby PeterGray » September 7th, 2018, 1:12 pm

No, I've no idea why they haven't been charging fees to some people. I assumed it was just lack of organisation!

My wife has been charged fees and gets 2 letters a month, a day apart - one saying they will be charging her and the next saying they have taken the DD! I have had no charges since they moved.

I did make several complaints when they moved me, and I got some compensation, so I have wondered if that they had been waiving my fees as part of that. I had decided not to ask them what was happening, as I didn't want to remind them they weren't charging. Lets see if I now get charged at the end of this month!

Peter

JuanDB

Postby JuanDB » September 7th, 2018, 1:31 pm

My wife and I both moved from Barclays stockbroker to SmartInvestor accounts. The moves were roughly 6 months apart. Neither of us was charged for around the first 9 months following our respective move date and we were notified 1-2 months before they started applying charges.

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Pip

Postby TahiPanasDua » September 7th, 2018, 3:24 pm

PeterGray wrote:......I did make several complaints when they moved me, and I got some compensation.....

Peter

You may have hit the nail on the head. I also complained vociferously at the change over. As we know, they were losing quite a few customers at that time so maybe it was a ploy to keep the rest of us happy until we got used to the new arrangement.

It didn't work with me. I have got used to the high fees but even there I was enquiring about the date of the removal of the 220,000 holdings cap on fees and may thereby have shot myself in the foot. Don't enquire if they are still not charging.

I just don't like the site. It's not user friendly. I have, rather unhelpfully, suggested they take a look at HL's site or revert to the old StockBrokers formula. Not much chance of either of course.

TP2

Gadge
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gadge » September 22nd, 2018, 10:17 pm

I don't like it much either.
What is a credible alternative though?

I am reluctant to use Hargreaves Lansdowne further.
I love their site and their great customer service, fees are very reasonable apart from their fund holding fee which is an out outrage at .45% for just holding it there....Gggggrrrhhhh!

HL gives better information than BS ever did e.g. it allows me to see income per month going back years.
However, I am simply unwilling to place yet more eggs in their basket.

Anyone have an idea of another credible platform

Ideally, I would like one which allowed me to hold funds at a reasonable cost, gave overall portfolio yields without me having to work it put myself and gave other sensible information along those lines. It would also be handy, if it allowed me to compare various companies and indices on one chart over various time periods as Barclay Stockbrokers used to allow me to do.

Gadge

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » September 22nd, 2018, 10:25 pm

Gadge wrote:Ideally, I would like one which allowed me to hold funds at a reasonable cost

ii charge dealing commission when buying or selling funds, but don't make any extra platform charges because you are holding OEICs rather than ITs, ETFs or direct shares.

doug2500
2 Lemon pips

Postby doug2500 » September 23rd, 2018, 12:36 pm

Iweb charge £5 to buy funds but no ongoing charges afterwards.

I doubt they would satisfy your other desires, but I don't know.

kenko92

Postby kenko92 » September 25th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Smart Investor apparently having difficulty in paying out dividends again.
I wish I had moved last year but am now intending to gradually run down my account.
I suspect Barclay's will soon be looking to sell the remaining clients to another broker.

Hanoi

Postby Hanoi » September 26th, 2018, 1:50 pm

I would contest fees as they have made such a mess.

I am missing Shell divi, due 17th Sept but still not paid. Yet another Formal Complaint in a couple of days.

BP not paid either, due 21 Sept.

CTCs also wrong. They admit they're wrong but can't give me a timescale to correct the mistakes.

No problems with either HL or HSDL.

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » September 26th, 2018, 6:32 pm

kenko92 wrote:I suspect Barclay's will soon be looking to sell the remaining clients to another broker.

When they were Barclays Stockbrokers, did they have a reasonably good reputation and were presumably at arms length from the rest of the bank? Now they are trying to be "SmartInvestor" is it how it looks on a mobile phone now more important than the traditional services that need to be supplied?

kenko92

Postby kenko92 » September 26th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Yes the previous site was excellent,intuitive and easy to get around.
This one is appalling,I can't even login half the time.
It would be interesting to know how many clients have moved elsewhere.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”