Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,Anonymous,CryptoPlankton,GrahamPlatt,Walkeia, for Donating to support the site

Alliance Trust Savings taken over by Interactive Investor

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Re: Alliance Trust Savings taken over by Interactive Investor

Postby Chrysalis » October 2nd, 2019, 8:28 am

The insistence on mobile phone authentication is a choice. National savings can do authentication via a code delivered on a landline. Presumably they are mandated by government to be accessible, whereas II only have to maximise returns for their owners.

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » October 2nd, 2019, 9:44 am

Chrysalis wrote:National savings can do authentication via a code delivered on a landline.

Some models of landline phone and answering machine are able to read back text messages. So you quote the landline number in the box marked "mobile". That's provided they don't exclude landline numbers as a validation.

I'd agree that a blacklist of inflexible Brokers etc. is needed.

swill453
Lemon Quarter

Postby swill453 » October 2nd, 2019, 9:55 am

Alaric wrote:I'd agree that a blacklist of inflexible Brokers etc. is needed.

So far we don't have any.

A mobile phone is a convenience (quelle surprise?) but there's always* an alternative.

* - unless someone can come up with one that doesn't.

Scott.

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » October 2nd, 2019, 10:09 am

swill453 wrote:A mobile phone is a convenience (quelle surprise?) but there's always* an alternative.

The suggestion is that there are financial institutions that will insist on the use of a mobile number for some forms of validation. Consumers perhaps can treat that at a the very least as a tie break when choosing between providers.

swill453
Lemon Quarter

Postby swill453 » October 2nd, 2019, 10:18 am

Alaric wrote:
swill453 wrote:A mobile phone is a convenience (quelle surprise?) but there's always* an alternative.

The suggestion is that there are financial institutions that will insist on the use of a mobile number for some forms of validation.

Only a "suggestion", none have been offered so far. User wickham in this thread confirms II has a landline alternative.

Scott.

Julian
Lemon Slice

Postby Julian » October 2nd, 2019, 1:19 pm

Halifax Banking does the authorisation-code-to-validate thing completely the other way round, or at least it used to do about a year ago which is when I closed my account so I can't say after that.

Instead of texting a 4 digit authorisation code to a mobile and the web site waiting for the user to enter it Halifax used to display the code on screen and then call your designated number which in my case was my landline. The call was an automated call that started with something like "This is your Halifax authorisation call, if you're not expecting it please <do-something-appropriate> otherwise please enter the 4 digit number currently displayed on your screen on the keypad now. You then entered the number on the keypad at which point the automated message said something like "Thank you, you can hang up now" and the screen (Halifax web page) then moved on to "thank you, your transaction is authorised".

I confess that I haven't sat down and thought it through in any detail but at first glance both methods seem equally secure to me and the Halifax one doesn't require a mobile phone. It's presumably more initial development work for the provider since that automated system has to pass the keypad input on to the web site but Halifax managed it.

I'm OK using a mobile but I realise that not everyone is and there does seem to be at least one alternative out there that has been made to work.

- Julian

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Postby Chrysalis » October 2nd, 2019, 1:58 pm

Julian, now I think about it, that is how NSandI do it - you key in the code into your phone.

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Postby Chrysalis » October 2nd, 2019, 1:59 pm

I have a mobile phone, but my difficulty with using it for authenticating financial transactions is the lack of signal in my house. I have to go up to the attic whenever I need to use it!

daveh
Lemon Slice

Postby daveh » October 3rd, 2019, 11:48 am

Julian wrote:Halifax Banking does the authorisation-code-to-validate thing completely the other way round, or at least it used to do about a year ago which is when I closed my account so I can't say after that.

Instead of texting a 4 digit authorisation code to a mobile and the web site waiting for the user to enter it Halifax used to display the code on screen and then call your designated number which in my case was my landline. The call was an automated call that started with something like "This is your Halifax authorisation call, if you're not expecting it please <do-something-appropriate> otherwise please enter the 4 digit number currently displayed on your screen on the keypad now. You then entered the number on the keypad at which point the automated message said something like "Thank you, you can hang up now" and the screen (Halifax web page) then moved on to "thank you, your transaction is authorised".

I confess that I haven't sat down and thought it through in any detail but at first glance both methods seem equally secure to me and the Halifax one doesn't require a mobile phone. It's presumably more initial development work for the provider since that automated system has to pass the keypad input on to the web site but Halifax managed it.

I'm OK using a mobile but I realise that not everyone is and there does seem to be at least one alternative out there that has been made to work.

- Julian

Yes my bank is the same (not suprising as its Lloyds, Halifax's parent). It also offers me the choice of which phone to ring as I have my work phone, mobile and home phone registered with them. Seems to work well.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » October 3rd, 2019, 12:51 pm

Chrysalis wrote:I have a mobile phone, but my difficulty with using it for authenticating financial transactions is the lack of signal in my house. I have to go up to the attic whenever I need to use it!

Can you not set it to work on WIFI?

I found EE's wifi interface helpful when I was on holiday in Devon and had wifi, but no mobile signal.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » October 3rd, 2019, 2:43 pm

johnhemming wrote:
Chrysalis wrote:I have a mobile phone, but my difficulty with using it for authenticating financial transactions is the lack of signal in my house. I have to go up to the attic whenever I need to use it!

Can you not set it to work on WIFI?

I found EE's wifi interface helpful when I was on holiday in Devon and had wifi, but no mobile signal.

In my case I haven't got a mobile phone or mobile contract, so wifi is impossible.
I said that I thought the alternative for me was to call by landline, which I did to ask questions and get my country of birth inserted, but the call centre lady went though a huge number of questions, my full name, all my address, (my phone number was visible to her), my email address, my date of birth, three characters from my password and a few other questions. If I had wanted to buy some shares the price might have changed to my disadvantage! I'm a bit wary about telling even a call centre all those answers as she could write them down for use next time when she asks for other characters in my password :o

Roll on fingerprint authentication, or even registering my desktop IP or some other PC info for next time (my bank has done this).

Parky
2 Lemon pips

Postby Parky » October 3rd, 2019, 4:28 pm

The last 25 posts ranting about the use of mobile phones for account security are surely off-topic? Please start a new thread somewhere if you want to discuss or rant further. :evil:

swill453
Lemon Quarter

Postby swill453 » October 3rd, 2019, 4:34 pm

Parky wrote:The last 25 posts ranting about the use of mobile phones for account security are surely off-topic? Please start a new thread somewhere if you want to discuss or rant further. :evil:

Didn't it start as a comment about a change resulting from the takeover?

Scott.

Parky
2 Lemon pips

Postby Parky » October 3rd, 2019, 5:10 pm

swill453 wrote:
Parky wrote:The last 25 posts ranting about the use of mobile phones for account security are surely off-topic? Please start a new thread somewhere if you want to discuss or rant further. :evil:

Didn't it start as a comment about a change resulting from the takeover?

Scott.

Yes, I didn't count that post in my 25, but the "discussion" immediately veered off into the long grass. I won't say any more, as I am now going even further off topic. :oops:

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » October 3rd, 2019, 8:29 pm

wickham wrote:In my case I haven't got a mobile phone or mobile contract...

There are SMS to email services. Can't recommend any but may be worth looking around.

feder1
2 Lemon pips

Postby feder1 » October 3rd, 2019, 8:50 pm

I am on the Alliance to ii transfer. I have already been to the ii site to add my mobile number and personal details.

I have just received an email (3 Oct 19) from ii telling me that my bank account details have been changed!

They haven,t.

According to the ii site I will not be able to see any transferred data until 14 Oct so I checked on the Alliance site and the bank details are correct there.

So I wonder what the email is saying?

Parky
2 Lemon pips

Postby Parky » October 4th, 2019, 8:29 am

feder1 wrote:I am on the Alliance to ii transfer. I have already been to the ii site to add my mobile number and personal details.

I have just received an email (3 Oct 19) from ii telling me that my bank account details have been changed!

They haven,t.

According to the ii site I will not be able to see any transferred data until 14 Oct so I checked on the Alliance site and the bank details are correct there.

So I wonder what the email is saying?

I've a bank details problem too. I sent a request in mid-September to ATS to add bank details to my account (on paper, as it's a joint account), but have had no confirmation of receipt, and the details have not yet appeared on ATS on-line. I've emailed ATS about it, but no reply yet, and ii have said I can't see my details on their site until 14th October. I hope these things are not slipping through the cracks. I will post again if I can find out what's happening.

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Postby Chrysalis » October 4th, 2019, 8:51 am

I had a text to same effect. Called them up and was told it just meant they had added account details from ATS. I did point out that the text was inaccurate and likely to result in a flood of pointless calls!

Although in my case it revealed yet another change to arrangements which will make it difficult to operate my accounts in the way I have been used to. I have two first steps account, for each child, each linked to a different account (designated to the respective child) into which dividends are paid. II only allow one account to be linked to, across all the accounts you may hold. This is pretty awkward. (But at least I don’t have a personal account I also need to withdraw to!) The only workaround I can think of is that I allow income to build up, and then withdraw it by calling them, withdrawing to one account, then changing the linked account and withdrawing to the other account.

I have to say this is proving to be the trouble I feared. I’d transfer out to Hargreaves Lansdown if I could, but I am trapped in OEICs with capital gains liabilities and these would attract a high platform fee with HL.

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Postby Chrysalis » October 4th, 2019, 8:54 am

@parky, try calling ATS. The team handling the (presumably many!) II queries seem helpful (at least the one I spoke to was). I’m also waiting for an update to my ATS details - in this case a joint account authority- and they were able to tell me that it will be dealt with on Tuesday. It is getting uncomfortably close to that deadline though.

feder1
2 Lemon pips

Postby feder1 » October 4th, 2019, 8:57 am

It's reassuring that it was ii that sent that stoopid email making us customers very worried about theft.

However the feeblist of minds could have written it better eg.

"Interactive Investor has now commenced transferring data from Alliance"

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”