Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to tjh290633,csearle,jfgw,bionichamster,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Iweb / Nationwide problems

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
monabri
Lemon Quarter

Iweb / Nationwide problems

Postby monabri » September 12th, 2019, 1:19 pm

I've experienced problems transferring funds into my iWeb account from the linked Nationwide account. I've made several calls to both iWeb and the Nationwide (and one totally useless call to VISA) in an attempt to resolve the problem.

The Nationwide say the fault is with iWeb and IWeb reckon the fault is with Nationwide :?:

The available balance reduces in my Nationwide account but the money does not arrive at iWeb.

iWeb can't take the money as the Nationwide transaction is missing a verification code ("token") issued by VISA. The Nationwide reckon that their payment system is working fine - which I can believe as I've paid money to another bank and between mine and my wife's Nationwide accounts with no problems.

The money will come back after 7 days but at the moment I cannot trade.

(I have experienced exactly the same problem with my wife's account as well so it is not unique to my account).

I've been using the iWeb/NW linked accounts for several months now with no problems until today.

Has anyone else experienced problems with iWeb funding?

djbenedict
Lemon Slice

Re: Iweb / Nationwide problems

Postby djbenedict » September 12th, 2019, 1:29 pm

I added £500 to my iWeb ISA account earlier today (from First Direct as it happens). All fine. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

djbenedict
Lemon Slice

Postby djbenedict » September 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm

djbenedict wrote:I added £500 to my iWeb ISA account earlier today (from First Direct as it happens). All fine. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

NB this was at 1209 if that is useful to know.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » September 12th, 2019, 5:40 pm

monabri wrote:iWeb can't take the money as the Nationwide transaction is missing a verification code ("token") issued by VISA. The Nationwide reckon that their payment system is working fine - which I can believe as I've paid money to another bank and between mine and my wife's Nationwide accounts with no problems.

That's different. Paying money to another bank or your wife is a faster payments transaction. When you instruct IWeb to fund your account it does so by making a debit card transaction, charging the debit card linked to your account, and that's an entirely different mechanism.

If there's something you were going to buy (online) you might just go ahead and buy it using that debit card, and so if that fails you can then turn round to NW and say there's a general problem with debit card payments, not just to IWeb. If it succeeds then you can turn round to IWeb and tell 'em your debit card is working fine elsewhere so the problem must be theirs. Good luck. :D

If there's nothing you want to buy you could just get yourself some Premium Bonds or other NS&I savings, as money paid into NS&I is done by debit card.

BTW, in case you need to (while you're waiting for them to sort it out) you can fund your IWeb account by a direct faster payment from your bank. You'll need to ask IWeb the sort code, account number and reference to send to.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » September 12th, 2019, 5:50 pm

BTW, we are suspiciously close to 14-Sep when (almost) all online transactions are required to be verified by "Strong Customer Authentication", the most common implementation of which is asking you to enter a code sent to your mobile phone.....one wonders if there's a implementation cockup at NW....

stevensfo
Lemon Slice

Postby stevensfo » September 12th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I funded my Halifax Sharebuilder account a few days ago with no problem at all, so since iweb is more or less the same as Halifax, I guess the problem must be at Nationwide's end.

Not sure if it's relevant these days but Nationwide is a Building Society and I remember having quite a few problems with paying in/out at one time.

The reasons why I still have a Nationwide account are lost in the mists of time. I vaguely remember that years ago, they were great. Now, they're just another bank trying to rip-off the punters.

Steve

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » September 12th, 2019, 9:56 pm

mc2fool wrote:BTW, in case you need to (while you're waiting for them to sort it out) you can fund your IWeb account by a direct faster payment from your bank. You'll need to ask IWeb the sort code, account number and reference to send to.

My personal experience with NatWest and II (TD as they then were) was that transferring money from a bank account to a share dealing account or ISA account was much more reliable with a direct transfer using on-line banking. The problem being that employing a debit card mostly used for withdrawing cash from hole in the wall machines ran into "computer says no" when trying to use it to transfer the rather more substantial sums required for ISA subscriptions or share purchases.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » September 12th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Alaric wrote:
mc2fool wrote:BTW, in case you need to (while you're waiting for them to sort it out) you can fund your IWeb account by a direct faster payment from your bank. You'll need to ask IWeb the sort code, account number and reference to send to.

My personal experience with NatWest and II (TD as they then were) was that transferring money from a bank account to a share dealing account or ISA account was much more reliable with a direct transfer using on-line banking. The problem being that employing a debit card mostly used for withdrawing cash from hole in the wall machines ran into "computer says no" when trying to use it to transfer the rather more substantial sums required for ISA subscriptions or share purchases.

I've had no problems putting £20K lump sums into my ISAs with II/TD and IWeb (I alternate the two) on my debit card. £25K into ATS too (not an ISA).

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”