Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Barclays Smart Investor

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
daveh
Lemon Slice

Re: Barclays Smart Investor

Postby daveh » February 5th, 2018, 1:43 pm

PeterGray wrote:Odd, I've never either been put through to an Indian, presumably in a Indian call centre or asked for a telephone PIN? Are you ringing 0800 279 3667 or 0141 352 3919 or is this some Bank number? If that's a real change that it makes Barclays Stockbrokers much less attractive. One of the positives has always been (other than during the Smart Investor transfer when you couldn't get through) was the quality of the people answering the phone.

However, part of your problem may be that in the documentation for the change over to Smart Investor one of the issues was that they do not any longer accept 3rd party online authorisations. Possible their system have fouled up over the change (not unknown!). My defunct 3rd party authorisations for my long deceased parents Barclays Bank accounts caused problems with the Smart Investor transfer - the Bank had and used a year's old postal address for me.

As far as 3rd party authorisations for online accounts goes, there is, of course an easy way round the problem!

Peter

Not necessarily an Indian call centre, may just be someone with an Indian accent working in the UK. I phoned Direct Line recently and was answered by a nice lady with an Indian accent, dealt with my query without problem. It was just after New Year and she commented about the celebration during the conversation as she said she'd only moved here a few months earlier so it was all new to her. I've had other companies (moved from Barclays due to charges) where I've had a phone PIN, but I only have access to it when at home, if I've been unable to give it they have just asked other security questions, usually characters from other memorable info used to log on.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 5th, 2018, 9:49 pm

PeterGray wrote:Odd, I've never either been put through to an Indian, presumably in a Indian call centre or asked for a telephone PIN? Are you ringing 0800 279 3667 or 0141 352 3919 or is this some Bank number? If that's a real change that it makes Barclays Stockbrokers much less attractive. One of the positives has always been (other than during the Smart Investor transfer when you couldn't get through) was the quality of the people answering the phone.

However, part of your problem may be that in the documentation for the change over to Smart Investor one of the issues was that they do not any longer accept 3rd party online authorisations. Possible their system have fouled up over the change (not unknown!). My defunct 3rd party authorisations for my long deceased parents Barclays Bank accounts caused problems with the Smart Investor transfer - the Bank had and used a year's old postal address for me.

As far as 3rd party authorisations for online accounts goes, there is, of course an easy way round the problem!
Hi Peter, your last point first, mum didn't have online access so that would have had to be arranged anyhow. When wheeling her into the bank the staff can immediately see that she is incapable of doing that for herself.

Regarding the phone number, I get the error message shown below. It suggests two phone numbers. I tried the UK one and got the "unobtainable" tone. The 0345 number directed me twice to Indian people. No idea where they were located. They both needed a telephone PIN and neither offered me any alternative method of authentication.

I then used the general online "Contact Us" procedure and apparently can expect a response within seven days. Not overly impressed with all this as I am miffed that adding myself as a third party authority on to my mum's account should - in my view - not alter my log in procedure to my own account in any way.

Regards,
Chris

ImageI own (or am legally permitted to post) the content of this image.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 6th, 2018, 10:00 am

The general "Contact Us" couldn't help me either as I am an unverified individual as far as they are concerned. Not unreasonable but all they could do was to tell me to phone the 0345 number.

Just replied with this:

Thank you for your reply Ruth.

I phoned the 0345 number (twice) and both times your colleagues could only help me
if I could provide my telephone PIN (or part thereof). Unfortunately I don't have one!
I think this might be because my stockbroking account with Barclays Stockbrokers was
recently migrated to Barclay's Smart Investor, so I didn't get here via the route of having
a current account with Barclays.

This leaves me in an awkward situation. Your helpline cannot help because they need a PIN
that I do not have. You cannot help me because this is the general Contact Us service
and I am unverified.

I need to make investments ASAP and Barclays has suddenly prevented me from gaining access to
my account and, it appears, has provided no way of my resolving the situation.

I have about £xxxxxx in my Barclays account. Please could let me know how I can set about
closing this account given that I no longer have access to it or my money anymore?

Regards,
Chris Searle

penteluk

Postby penteluk » February 15th, 2018, 10:17 am

Update on claiming back tax deducted on Land Securities dividends.

The latest communication I have received suggests that I will need to claim the tax back for this myself. This of course would mean that the reclaimed tax would sit outside my ISA.

This is the third version of events that Barclays have come up with, and again I have made an official complaint.

Will this torture never end :-(

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » February 15th, 2018, 10:27 am

penteluk wrote:The latest communication I have received suggests that I will need to claim the tax back for this myself.

I wouldn't be sure that's even possible. It's the Barclays nominee who had tax withheld when they didn't have to, rather than the individual.

A complaint is extremely justifiable.

I would have thought it up to Barclays to run their internal and external systems in such a way as to reclaim any tax withheld on REITs where the holding relates to ISAs. If they fail to do this, I would have thought they should compensate you for the lost value.

flyer61
2 Lemon pips

Postby flyer61 » February 15th, 2018, 11:54 am

Alaric thanks for this.

I have checked BLND and on 1000 shares have only received £60.16....I will get my complaint in. I am fed up to the back teeth with their platform and am migrating everything to HL. 2 SIPPS and 2 ISAs.

On migrating has anybody recently transferred a SIPP inspecie? and how long did it take?

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » February 17th, 2018, 4:06 pm

flyer61 wrote:... I am fed up to the back teeth with their platform and am migrating everything to HL. 2 SIPPS and 2 ISAs.

On migrating has anybody recently transferred a SIPP inspecie? and how long did it take?

Yes. Took months but everything was done correctly to the penny and no communication except stupid general answer stock standard letters. When you send the form to HL, write on it in capital red letters IN SPECIE IE STOCK TRANSFER, then add perhaps a separate sheet of paper --- you need to explain to all parties like you would to a child. Make the assumption you are dealing with morons. :lol:

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » February 17th, 2018, 4:32 pm

I agree, I've made several transfers over the years, mostly of part of a PEP or ISA to and from various brokers,and I've always written on the form an explanation of what I want and stapled a covering letter to it. I've never had a problem, which might have been the case anyway, but best to be sure!

flyer61
2 Lemon pips

Postby flyer61 » February 22nd, 2018, 9:40 am

Thanks guys...still waiting..

MrBarclay
Lemon Pip

Postby MrBarclay » February 26th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Got locked out of one of our Smart accounts, which has stopped both of us trading. Called B for a new online passcode, and 6 days later one arrives, but its a phone passcode, not the online password. Called B again, and have asked again: due in another 5 days or so. Meanwhile, I just got locked out by another bank. They did security with me online, and sent me another temporary passcode in minutes.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 1st, 2018, 4:25 pm

Finally I managed to get to a phone during the working week to make an ultimatum to Barclays that they either sort out my online access whilst I'm on the phone or I leave. Customer service is currently unavailable - just a recorded message. I have almost no realistic opportunities to sort all this out on the freezing building sites I'm currently working at and this really is the last straw.

I've pointed out my frustrations at not having access to my stockbroking account for over four weeks and that I give up. I sent a copy to their head office for good measure.

So now to effect an in specie (I hope) transfer somewhere.

How are people finding Hargreaves Lansdown?

Regards,
Chris

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 1st, 2018, 4:38 pm

csearle wrote:...

How are people finding Hargreaves Lansdown?

Regards,
Chris

No complaints, never had any issues with them. Log in, check account, do a trade, get an email confo, no cash or position errors, no human contact needed.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 20th, 2018, 3:02 am

flyer61 wrote:I have checked BLND and on 1000 shares have only received £60.16....I will get my complaint in.

Unlike Barclays Stockbrokers, Smart Investor (in common with some other brokers) receives the PID after tax then reclaims the tax from HMRC. Judging by accounts of other broker that handle PIDs in this way three month is the typical time taken to reclaim tax.

I was (ufortunately) one of the 'early migrations' before the mass move of everyone from Barclays Stockbrokers. My BLND came with me, and my first complaint was lodged when the first PID arrived 'after tax' - that must be about a year ago.

After investigating (really?) my first complaint was dismissed by letter as being inorrect! After phoning to explain in words of no more than one syllable what a PID was and how an ISA works, helpfully pointing them to the HMRC Guidance Notes for ISA Managers, they conceded I was right second time round. Then the long wait until, some nine month later on 17 Dec 2017 the 'Tax reclaim for period to 06-Sep-2017' appeared. Just the one, mind you - there were two PIDs in that period. so I waited...

and waited...

...and finally they got their act together on a Saturday (working overtime?) 17th March. The long overdue second 'Tax reclaim for period to 06-Sep-2017' and the 'Tax reclaim for period to 06-Dec-2017' arrived together.

The reclaim for latest PID has yet to arrive, that should be a 'Tax reclaim for period to 06-Apr-2018' which hopefully won't take so long to arrive now they (finally) seem to know what they're doing.

(fingers crossed poised to pen another complaint if it's late)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 20th, 2018, 3:14 am

Alaric wrote:I would have thought it up to Barclays to run their internal and external systems in such a way as to reclaim any tax withheld on REITs where the holding relates to ISAs...

It is and after a year seems they've finally worked out how to do it...

mike
2 Lemon pips

Postby mike » April 6th, 2018, 11:58 am

Been trying to log on this morning; all is fine until I try to look at my ISA and then I get

Error 500: javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter [securityFilter]: filter is unavailable

Whatever I do after that has no effect. Is this just me, or are others seeing the same ?

Thanks
Mike

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 6th, 2018, 12:13 pm

mike wrote:Is this just me, or are others seeing the same ?

I get the same: Error 500: javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter [securityFilter]: filter is unavailable.

If you click the Investments tab there's a notice saying...
Important Information
We’re sorry, you won’t be able to use our online service on Friday 6 April from 7pm until around 11:55pm – we’ll be carrying out maintenance.

...but it's not 7pm yet - so what gives?
Last edited by Breelander on April 6th, 2018, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike
2 Lemon pips

Postby mike » April 6th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Breelander wrote:
mike wrote:Is this just me, or are others seeing the same ?

I get the same: Error 500: javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter [securityFilter]: filter is unavailable.

Thanks Bree. Good, it's for them to sort, rather than me to work it out :)
Mike

Hanoi

Postby Hanoi » April 6th, 2018, 2:15 pm

I too get
Error 500: javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter [securityFilter]: filter is unavailable

Called (got through relatively easily) and was told "server problem. IT working on it".

Seems ominous that a crash should happen on the first day of the new tax year.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 6th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Hanoi wrote:...Called (got through relatively easily)...

Lucky you - I got the 'at least 20 mins. queue, want to book a call-back?' message. Booked a call-back - still waiting for one some two hours later...

Hanoi

Postby Hanoi » April 6th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Breelander wrote:Booked a call-back - still waiting for one some two hours later...

You can always try Alastair Thaw directly

Alastair Thaw I Director I Barclays Smart Investor
Tel + 44 (0)141 3434191 I Mobile +44 (0)777 555 1846 I alastair.thaw@barclays.com

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”