Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Barclays Smart Investor

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Barclays Smart Investor

Postby Breelander » April 6th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Hanoi wrote: You can always try Alastair Thaw directly...

Thanks for the contact info. Noted for future use :)

In this case I think we (and Barclays) know what the problem is, so one more call from me isn't going to help. I'll just wait for the IT dept. to run round like headless chickens until they stumble across the fix...

Edit: I finally got the call-back - but there was no one at the other end of the line. :(

Calling the 08002793667 helpline now gets a recorded message saying 'we are currently aware of problem with the website...'

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 6th, 2018, 3:38 pm

The Investments tab now has this additional 'Important Information' notice.

Just so you know, we’re having some technical issues at the moment – but we’re working to fix this. If you’re looking to trade, please call us on 0800 279 3667. We’ll make sure you get online commission rates.

Hanoi

Postby Hanoi » April 6th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Just so you know, we’re having some technical issues at the moment – but we’re working to fix this. If you’re looking to trade, please call us on 0800 279 3667. We’ll make sure you get online commission rates.

Up and working when I tried around 15.50 BST. Able to execute a Bed & ISA

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 10th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Just as an update about my inability to gain access to my account. It transpires that when I walked into Barclays in Bude and arranged for have third-party access to my ancient mother's current account (including online access) the operative basically messed it up. He adjusted it in such a way that I would need mum's card and one of those gadgets in order to log on. As I have neither I was stuck.

By the time I'd started phoning up to regain access, so many dividend transactions had occurred that I couldn't answer any of their security questions accurately so they, rightly, refused to deal with me.

I eventually went back to the Bude branch and, having identified myself, managed to persuade them to help me. This they did by identifying themselves with SmartInvestor as staff members using their Daily Code, then asserting they'd identified me. This then finally persuaded SmartInvestor to send me a statement, information from which I've just used to identify myself with them on the phone.

They established what the problem was and have promised to sort it by Thursday. Frankly they could have done this at any time as I've already explained the whole sequence of events in a letter of complaint (which was dealt with by a load of appalling waffle).

So I will likely still ditch them as this has been truly awful customer service. No access or effective help since February 16th.

Chris

kenko92

Postby kenko92 » May 3rd, 2018, 1:43 pm

Re Consolidated Tax Certificate.
I may be missing something but my CTC received today seems incomplete.
It only lists dividends until 8/17.
Has anyone else received the same?

They do say 2 CTC's might be issued if holdings couldn't be transferred at the changeover.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » May 3rd, 2018, 3:19 pm

That's presumably your CTC from Barclays Stockbrokers (RIP). You should get another from "Smart" Investor in due course.

Peter

Hanoi

Postby Hanoi » May 3rd, 2018, 11:01 pm

kenko92 wrote:They do say 2 CTC's might be issued if holdings couldn't be transferred at the changeover.

This is just another attempted cover up of incompetence. All my holdings appeared in Dumb Investor at changeover (shares, ITs and ETFs). Nothing was left in Barclays Stockbrokers.

The way dividends have been added to "Cash" in one continuous statement and not itemised against individual holdings from the outset will, I believe, cause significant issues to produce the CTC in an acceptable format for tax purposes. In addition, my holding in RDSA showed a cash dividend and Witholding Tax when an election for scrip had been made. This is completely wrong. There may be other shares where they have got the tax status wrong so I think this is going to take some time to fix.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » May 4th, 2018, 9:23 am

This is just another attempted cover up of incompetence. All my holdings appeared in Dumb Investor at changeover (shares, ITs and ETFs). Nothing was left in Barclays Stockbrokers.

I don't follow what you are saying. The change to Smart Investor was in Aug 2017. Kenko has received a CTC from Barclays Stockbrokers up to July 2017 - i.e. covering dividends before the transfer. He will get a second covering the period since in due course no doubt, from Smart Investor. Given the nature of the restructuring that's really the only way they can do it - as the dividends were effectively paid to two different brokers.

I suspect the odd comment about "2 CTC's might be issued if holdings couldn't be transferred at the changeover." refers to a possible 2 CTCs from Barclays Stockbrokers in some complex cases, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Peter

djbenedict

Postby djbenedict » May 4th, 2018, 10:09 am

I'm in the process of transferring my accounts from Barclays Smart Investor to iWeb. Painfully tedious process. Anyway along the way, chatting to iWeb it appears that the Smart Investor platform is run on behalf of Barclays by FNZ (http://www.fnz.com). Apologies if that is well known, it was news to me and quite interesting.

Hanoi

Postby Hanoi » May 4th, 2018, 11:49 am

PeterGray wrote:I don't follow what you are saying.

I have received a CTC from Barclays Stockbrokers covering the period up until the transfer and the amounts are correct.

My point is that judging from all the incompetences Barclays have shown in the Dumb Investor platform implementation, I do not have confidence that the CTC from changeover to 5th April 2018 will be forthcoming in the near future. Unfortunately, there is nothing laid down which says the timescale in which a CTC must be produced. However, absence can delay completing SA100 unless you are happy to rely on your own records.

yyuryyub

Postby yyuryyub » May 9th, 2018, 10:02 am

I note that the restucturing of Barclays Bank plc has led to significant changes to our Smartinvestor Joint Investment accoint.

Previously, our Joint Investment Account (ex. Barclays Stockbrokers) could only be accessed by separate logons from the ISA / OLB accounts.

The bulk of our Joint Investment Account has been moved to a new joint account (with new ID), which is managed by the same logons as the ISA / OLB accounts (PINsentry and all). Transfer dated 4/5/18. All that is left in the old account are a few delisted stocks and a sum of cash from a dividend payment.

Some accounts are shown as Barclays Bank plc and some as Barclays Bank UK plc , but the descriptions are not consistent. I'm sure they'll fix it.

All in all, a step forward, though I'm glad I logged on to the ISA first, rather than logging on to the old Joint Account login aned finding it all gone.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”