Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,CryptoPlankton,GrahamPlatt,Walkeia,genou, for Donating to support the site

Barclays Smart Investor

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
Ivyrobert

Re: Barclays Smart Investor

Postby Ivyrobert » October 25th, 2017, 7:19 am

Email from them acknowledging that my complaint is still not resolved. As the delay is so long, they advise me that I am entitled to report the matter to the Financial ombudsman. After 3 months in limbo maybe my pension trader account is dealing on the dark web.
Pathetic, amateur, no way to treat customers, bang your head on the wall!

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » October 25th, 2017, 8:32 am

Indeed, I have one for 16.98, presumably a full month and one for half that. Though it would help if they stated what period they are for!

All my holdings are shares - so the cap presumably works OK. But it sounds as though some with ITs are having them categorised as "funds".

Peter

feder1
2 Lemon pips

Postby feder1 » October 25th, 2017, 9:28 am

Peter, et al,

Do we think that buy/sell fees are added to the £16.99 and then debited from bank a/c?

I have made one or twobuys.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » October 25th, 2017, 12:52 pm

feder1 wrote:Peter, et al,

Do we think that buy/sell fees are added to the £16.99 and then debited from bank a/c?

I have made one or twobuys.

No. Transaction fees are deducted from cash on your account, even though they are now listed as separate cash items on your cash transaction history. On my account fees (monthly fees) are listed separately from my cash statement - under Fees (as they are paid from outside the account), and are currently listed as due by DD in Dec. Transaction fees have been deducted, at the time of the trade, and are listed in the cash statement.

I'm pretty sure that HMRC doesn't allow trading commissions to be paid outside an ISA. It's a long time ago now but I remember discussions and attempts to get a broker to take them from a linked bank account and the conclusion being that it wasn't possible under ISA rules.

Peter

penteluk

Postby penteluk » November 2nd, 2017, 2:33 pm

Good news at last, my ISA transfer has completed, and it only took 8 weeks.

Now to start the process with my dealing account.

penteluk

Postby penteluk » November 2nd, 2017, 2:58 pm

False alarm... The shares have transferred, but none of the cash...... Ah well.....

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 2nd, 2017, 3:22 pm

penteluk wrote:False alarm... The shares have transferred, but none of the cash...... Ah well.....

Let's hope you didn't tick the charity box on the transfer form.

steve55

Postby steve55 » November 7th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Is anyone else still experiencing dividend payment delays?? Have moved my account and in the process of moving my wife but the Playtech divi from 24th September still not received.

Also just received a second acknowledgement to a complaint made 2 months ago - still no answer. Still no live chat. Must still be in chaos

Ivyrobert

Postby Ivyrobert » November 7th, 2017, 5:39 pm

My Pension Trader account was finally transferred on 3rd Nov, but the cash balance was zero. I am currently unable to check dividend payment dates. Has anybody received an account statement from Barclays on the transfer of their accounts?

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 7th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Ivyrobert wrote:... Has anybody received an account statement from Barclays on the transfer of their accounts?

Just a one-page letter stating cash value, stock value and total value. Receiving broker (HL in my case) then sent a proper multi-page statement with sector weights etc.

Bluestone77

Postby Bluestone77 » November 7th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Ivyrobert wrote:My Pension Trader account was finally transferred on 3rd Nov, but the cash balance was zero. I am currently unable to check dividend payment dates. Has anybody received an account statement from Barclays on the transfer of their accounts?

I transferred a Marketmaster & ISA back in June due to the price increases but before Smart Investor was introduced. I got my normal full Marketmaster statement at the end of September listing all dividends etc.. with a nil balance and final line of "ACCOUNT NOW CLOSED".
I have not received my ISA statement yet as this will be due Dec. For some reason they issued Marketmaster statements quarterly but ISAs half-yearly.

IR35x

Postby IR35x » November 9th, 2017, 10:26 am

I have had a few more conversations with Barclays and they now agree that I have filled in enough forms to get my SIPP transferred to Hargreaves Lansdown.

Things were looking really god until I called Hargreaves Lansdown to open a trading account for my Somero and SPSY shares that I have now got in certificated form. HL broke the bad news to me that they cannot accept the SOM and SPSY share certificates - they can be traded online with HL though. I guess I didn't ask the right questions. SOM and SPSY have Computershare as the registrar so I am in the process of setting up an account with them in the hope that I can find a solution (sell through Computershare and buy back in HL or find a way for an electronic transfer from Computershare). Anyone any suggestions - other than using the certificates as wallpaper until they either get taken over or go bust.

Hanoi

Postby Hanoi » November 9th, 2017, 10:22 pm

IR35x wrote:Anyone any suggestions - other than using the certificates as wallpaper until they either get taken over or go bust.

Ask Halifax. Free to open an account and no platform fees. I have just typed in both SOM and SPSY and both are available to buy/sell. I have transferred in certificated shares in the past with no problems.

IR35x

Postby IR35x » November 10th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Hanoi

Thanks. Computershare are investigating a solution for me as they seem to think it should be possible. I will await the outcome of the investigation and if they don't have a solution I will give Halifax a call.

Regdragon

Postby Regdragon » November 12th, 2017, 5:58 pm

penteluk wrote:False alarm... The shares have transferred, but none of the cash...... Ah well.....

Penteluk,

I’ve got the same problem with my ISA which I’m trying to transfer to Charles Stanley - the shares transferred about 5 days ago but not the funds. It’s a bit disconcerting. Can you say how long it took for the funds to arrive in the account?

Regards

RD

penteluk

Postby penteluk » November 13th, 2017, 7:59 am

I’ve got the same problem with my ISA which I’m trying to transfer to Charles Stanley - the shares transferred about 5 days ago but not the funds. It’s a bit disconcerting. Can you say how long it took for the funds to arrive in the account?

Shares first, then about a week later the preference shares, then around 2 weeks after that most of the cash, but the account is still open to receive the dividends for the shares that went ex divi.

Not sure how much longer it will drag on for.... now into the 10th week since initiating the transfer.

Julian
Lemon Slice

Postby Julian » November 13th, 2017, 11:12 am

penteluk wrote:Not sure how much longer it will drag on for.... now into the 10th week since initiating the transfer.

10th week? That's nothing. I'm now into the 22nd week and the broker I'm transferring to is still showing the status of my transfer as waiting for a valuation from Barclays despite Barclays telling me that they are all set and ready to go and are waiting on my destination broker to confirm their request to go ahead. Total deadlock and the receiving broker is now not responding to my messages.

I'm told that emails to the MD of big companies can sometimes be quite effective because there tends to be a high quality and influential person or team of people responsible for reading and vetting them. Perhaps I'll try than next to the MD of my receiving broker since it is they who are now ignoring my communications and no, I'm not getting rude or aggressive in any communications, I'm trying to stay calm and measured but honestly it's becoming increasingly difficult. My log of all calls and communications over the past very nearly 5 months has now gone onto page 13 of A4 paper.

- Julian

puffster
Lemon Pip

Postby puffster » November 13th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Julian,

A left field solution might be to contact the personal finance section of a Sunday paper like the Sunday Times, Sunday Telegraph or Mail On Sunday. The thought of national coverage might just unblock the plumbing!!

Regards, Puffster

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 13th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Julian wrote:... I'm now into the 22nd week and the broker I'm transferring to is still showing the status of my transfer as waiting for a valuation from Barclays despite Barclays telling me that they are all set and ready to go and are waiting on my destination broker to confirm their request to go ahead. Total deadlock and the receiving broker is now not responding to my messages....

- Julian

I had a very similar situation between Barc and HL, deadlock and talking cross purposes or not at all. Things started moving along after awhile, I did tell HL to get the manager escalate it to his or her counterpart at Barclays. They may not respond but they might read your messages.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 13th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Sorry if this has been mentioned before:

My British Land income used to be paid by Barclays Stockbrokers in full. With Smart Investor it has been paid with 20% (tax I presume) withheld. I find it rather annoying that this has been changed. Does anyone know how I get this back?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”