Postby PaulBullet » November 8th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I had lots of problems with the last site, it was always very slow for me

This one is quicker and on the setup I use at work it seems to work better

Paul

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Re: Selftrade's new website

Postby PeterGray » November 8th, 2017, 4:14 pm

GingerPlant wrote:FWIW, I've now sent them two emails asking if it's possible to transfer back to the previous version (which was not at all good - but was still better than this new version). I don't hold out much hope. This will probably be the final straw for me.

Unlikely, but what I suspect is almost certain, if they don't have a death wish, is that they will sort out the issue of the display defaulting to an inappropriate style for non widescreen PC monitors. If they do that then I suspect a case could be made that the new website is an improvement.

Peter

petertatham

Postby petertatham » November 8th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Terrible new site. The old site, for all its occasional slowness and sticking, at least enabled me to see all holdings in either dealing or ISA acs on one clear page, all the information clearly displayed. Now it is a long scroll down in pastel colours which makes no impact, page after page. The cash statement page is similarly expanded so totalling up ISA Divis will be tedious in the extreme. You really get the feeling that whoever devised this new site, does not have a portfolio of their own I manage three relatives accounts with Selftrade but I’m afraid I shall have to search for another platform site. Any suggestions ?

Holts

Postby Holts » November 8th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Correct , they seem to forget at the end this is about simple maths and function and clarity is required , its not about the 'experience '

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » November 8th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Any suggestions ?

Read back through the thread. The issue is clearly one of having a layout aimed at mobile and pad users and another for wide screen desktops. With a widescreen something similar to the old spreadsheet style listing appears. What they need to do, and I suspect will do when enough people have complained, is rejig it so that it displays properly on non widescreen desktops, as it always did.

In the meantime solutions have been offered in this thread, either reducing the font size, or zooming in. Reducing the zoom to 80% works here for me on a 1280x1024 screen

Peter

GingerPlant

Postby GingerPlant » November 10th, 2017, 8:26 am

petrtatham; take consolation from the fact that you're already doing better than me. I can't even FIND my own dividend history / dealing history - where is this info?

Holts

Postby Holts » November 10th, 2017, 10:43 am

I am having a senior moment , on mobile log in where is the log out button ?

genou
2 Lemon pips

Postby genou » November 10th, 2017, 10:57 am

GingerPlant wrote:petrtatham; take consolation from the fact that you're already doing better than me. I can't even FIND my own dividend history / dealing history - where is this info?

Go into an account by choosing "View", then at top right there is a "Manage Account" button. This takes you into stock history, cash statement etc....

GingerPlant

Postby GingerPlant » November 10th, 2017, 11:10 am

Found it - many thanks genou; I hadn't seen it as a "management" type thing!

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Postby BobGe » November 10th, 2017, 11:34 am

Holts wrote:I am having a senior moment , on mobile log in where is the log out button ?

Well hidden, that's where it is!
Similarly "log-in" is missing from the home page - instead there's a stupid icon of the type which usually means you are accessing an insecure website.

What a lot of tosh.
Last edited by BobGe on November 10th, 2017, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Postby BobGe » November 10th, 2017, 11:47 am

PeterGray wrote:.... rejig it so that it displays properly on non widescreen desktops, as it always did.

It doesn't work on widescreen desktops either. Complete mess.

Everything is taking up around six lines per item here on Firefox (1680x1050) and (sc)rolls away like one's reading it on sheets of toilet paper. Practically unusable.

And secure messaging has been mashed - now no outbox or archive.

PeterGray wrote: ...they will sort out the issue of the display defaulting to an inappropriate style for non widescreen PC monitors. If they do that then I suspect a case could be made that the new website is an improvement.

After they have used their clients as guinea pigs?

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Postby BobGe » November 10th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Midsmartin wrote:This has been the fashion in web design for a few years: take some information, and pad it out with as much white space (and preferably some pointless icons) as possible so that users have to scroll up and down endlessly, instead of viewing it tidily on one screen.

This has to be the worst (desktop) implimentation I have ever come across.
(In general, who in God's name ever came up with the idea to place the stuff one needs to view and access off the bottom of the screen?)

Selftrade haven't even enabled a 'remember me' function now, so that it's not needed to go fetch an account number each time.

gnawsome
Lemon Pip

Selftrade - have you accepted it now?

Postby gnawsome » November 21st, 2017, 4:09 pm

There was some comment about the new website - a number of complaints.
Not much now. So have most adapted or is anyone (other than me) still submitting complaints.
I have learned how to do some of the things I used to but it always takes multiple actions whereas a single click (or two) was all that was needed.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Re: Selftrade - have you accepted it now?

Postby PeterGray » November 21st, 2017, 5:35 pm

In effect I have.

It is slower than the old site to use - which seems to be the way with all broker "updates".

However, the critical issue of list display I have now sorted, by discovering that by maximising the window on my 1280x1024 screen I get a correctly displayed listing, with a single line per item, instead of the unusable screen intended for mobile phones.

It's annoying, but it works OK. Why brokers, and others can't accept that making websites more complicated and releasing half tested versions on customers is not good for customer relations, or even very clever is beyond me, but Selftrade are not really any different to others in that respect.

Peter

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Re: Selftrade - have you accepted it now?

Postby BobGe » November 23rd, 2017, 6:52 am

PeterGray wrote: It is slower than the old site to use - which seems to be the way with all broker "updates".

The old one was slow too. When you examine it this is just a new mimicked user interface, probably designed by the same team that created the previous one, so not surprising that it's slow. But the point is it doesn't need to be slow. HSDL did similar a year or so back but it isn't slow.

PeterGray wrote:However, the critical issue of list display I have now sorted, by discovering that by maximising the window on my 1280x1024 screen I get a correctly displayed listing, with a single line per item, instead of the unusable screen intended for mobile phones.

They have jiggled it a bit just recently in an attempt to fix the mess, so it should now display better (i.e. single line per security) on a desktop in a normal browser window, 4x3 or widescreen. (There are still other issues though...)

PeterGray wrote:It's annoying, but it works OK.

Until you try to print something...

gnawsome wrote:So have most adapted or is anyone (other than me) still submitting complaints.

Yes, still submitting complaints; next one will be that when the site times you out and you log-in again, the complaint you were typing in a second window will then not send and you have to go back to square one!

feder1
2 Lemon pips

Postby feder1 » November 23rd, 2017, 5:58 pm

Since yesterday,s regular buy I haven,t been able to access the reg inv page.

Tried on two different compters.

tractorian

Postby tractorian » November 24th, 2017, 7:50 am

I'm surprised not to see any mention of 'Secure Messages'. It took several sessions to discover that if you want to download, or print, a Contract Note, or contact Selftrade, you must click on your initials in the small red circle, top right.

feder1
2 Lemon pips

Postby feder1 » November 24th, 2017, 8:02 am

My friend also cannot get the Regular Investment page.

After a call to ST, they told me to clear browsing history. This had no effect.

Eventually the Manager said it was my computer settings.

Maybe the latest Windows updates and ipad updates have messed the system about?

ouzo

Postby ouzo » November 24th, 2017, 10:15 am

For me (using Internet Explorer), none of the links in the right-hand column of the Dashboard page work ('server error').

To set up a regular investment, I had to 'View' my ISA account, and then navigate using ''Manage A/C' (top right).

Regards
Ann

Lesleyfool

Postby Lesleyfool » November 24th, 2017, 10:39 am

You are a shining star. I have spent 10 mins on the phone with them this morning. All they seemed to have on their script was have you cleared your browsing history. She asked me three times. I told them it was their error not mine. I have used your instructions and got in. Thank you. Maybe you should work for Selftrade.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”