Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS run time error

Discussions regarding financial software
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

HYPTUSS run time error

Postby Arborbridge » July 22nd, 2019, 8:35 pm

I've downloaded the latest version 11.69 but it will not run the forecast yields.

I get the run time error other people have mentioned. Error occurred in secure channel support. This is with my own copy and with a freshly downloaded one just now, though it ran a few weeks ago before I went away.

I saw a long thread with loads of stuff I couldn't understand: what's the solution to getting it running, and why doesn't the vanilla version run now?

Thanks for your support.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: HYPTUSS run time error

Postby Itsallaguess » July 22nd, 2019, 8:43 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
I've downloaded the latest version 11.69 but it will not run the forecast yields.

I get the run time error other people have mentioned. Error occurred in secure channel support. This is with my own copy and with a freshly downloaded one just now, though it ran a few weeks ago before I went away.

I saw a long thread with loads of stuff I couldn't understand: what's the solution to getting it running?

Hi Arb,

You'll need to gain access to the VBA code for the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button.

The password for the VBA access is 'pleaseletmein'

Once you've gained access to the VBA code for the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button, have a look at this post (https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18337&start=20#p234002) and change the -

myUrl = "https://uk.webfg.com" + CStr(csi)

line of VBA code to read -

myUrl = "https://www.sharecast.com" + CStr(csi)

Once you've done the above, you will then need to SAVE the above changes, exit the tool, and then re-open it for the fix to be enabled.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 22nd, 2019, 10:44 pm

Thanks - I'll have a go sometime tomorrow.

As a matter of interest, why is this necessary? Is there something wrong with the 11.69 version?

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 23rd, 2019, 5:21 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Thanks - I'll have a go sometime tomorrow.

As a matter of interest, why is this necessary?

Is there something wrong with the 11.69 version?

I suspect that there's a DNS change working it's way very slowly through the system, with Sharecast moving away from the Webfg URL format it's used for some time.

It looks like the vast majority of DNS servers are still doing the re-direct automatically, but as the Sharecast URL change eventually works it's way round all the DNS servers, it looks like those re-directs are beginning to be stopped out, and where this happens to a DNS server that a particular person uses here, then these HYPTUSS failures are being witnessed.

Until now it's only affected one other user as far as we know, and we've got a known workaround, so there's not been a rush to change the vanilla download just yet as we've opted to take a 'watching brief' for now, just to monitor progress of the issue, but the plan is to upgrade both of the vanilla downloads some time soon to incorporate this fix.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the fix Arb, if you could please feed back your findings? As you say, the other thread contained a lot of different information, so I'm keen to get a succinct post we can link to that contains enough information for people to easily apply this fix, and hopefully the one in this thread can be that post, so I'd be keen to hear if there's any niggles with the instructions from your end...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 23rd, 2019, 7:23 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I will certainly let you know how I get on - it might be a little while as I've just returned from holiday and I suspect other things will be higher up the agenda than my investments :shock:

For example: restocking the larder, checking bills.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 23rd, 2019, 3:08 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Hi Arb,

You'll need to gain access to the VBA code for the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button.

Once you've gained access to the VBA code for the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button,

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Excuse my ignorance, but how does one do that?
I know you told me once, but that was probably five years ago :oops:

Thanks,

Arb.

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » July 23rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

Hi Itsallaguess. I've been following this exchange with interest, and have just found another little unintended consequence of recent changes.

I didn't have a run-time error, but all my ITs were showing 0% as "Forecast Yield" and not the "Latest Yield", so I decided to change the code anyway.

The problem turned out to be the caused by the "Toggle Sector/ Super-Sector" functionality.

If the Sector/Super-Sector toggle is showing the Super-Sector then the following line will return "Financial Services" instead of any reference to ITs, so the special code to pick up actual latest yield does not kick in.

The answer for me is simply to make sure that the "Sectors" are showing before running the Yield download.

Thanks for all your work on this.

InStep

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » July 23rd, 2019, 5:21 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Hi Arb,

Once you've gained access to the VBA code for the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button,

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Excuse my ignorance, but how does one do that?
I know you told me once, but that was probably five years ago :oops:

Thanks,

Arb.

Hi Arb, The easiest way to do this is to open HYPTUSS
Go to the Developer menu
Then Click the View Code icon in the Ribbon.
You should then be asked for the password.
Hope that helps.
InStep

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 23rd, 2019, 6:02 pm

Instep wrote:Hi Arb, The easiest way to do this is to open HYPTUSS
Go to the Developer menu
Then Click the View Code icon in the Ribbon.
You should then be asked for the password.
Hope that helps.
InStep

Where is the Developer Menu? I have various pull down menus, but don't see "developer" mentioned anywhere - probably can't see for looking!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 23rd, 2019, 6:15 pm

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 23rd, 2019, 6:22 pm

Instep wrote:
I've been following this exchange with interest, and have just found another little unintended consequence of recent changes.

I didn't have a run-time error, but all my ITs were showing 0% as "Forecast Yield" and not the "Latest Yield", so I decided to change the code anyway.

The problem turned out to be the caused by the "Toggle Sector/ Super-Sector" functionality.

If the Sector/Super-Sector toggle is showing the Super-Sector then the following line will return "Financial Services" instead of any reference to ITs, so the special code to pick up actual latest yield does not kick in.

The answer for me is simply to make sure that the "Sectors" are showing before running the Yield download.

Thanks very much for that Instep - this is something we'll add to our 'to-do' list for the next release.

I'm glad you find the tool useful, so thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 23rd, 2019, 7:01 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
Where is the Developer Menu?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/show-the-developer-tab-e1192344-5e56-4d45-931b-e5fd9bea2d45

Itsallaguess

Sorry to be a pain but...

That doesn't seem to apply to my version: I have Excel 2003. The instructions for the 2007 Office refer to an "office button" but there's nothing like that on my PC. I had Office 365 with Excel at one point but gave it up as being not very user friendly (everything seems to need two clicks where one would do previously!) and it didn't do XIRR calculations.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 23rd, 2019, 7:10 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
That doesn't seem to apply to my version: I have Excel 2003.

Some Excel 2003 instructions here Arb - https://www.techonthenet.com/excel/macros/visual_basic_editor2003.php

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2019, 7:55 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Once you've gained access to the VBA code for the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button, have a look at this post (https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18337&start=20#p234002) and change the -

Once you've done the above, you will then need to SAVE the above changes, exit the tool, and then re-open it for the fix to be enabled.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

OK, I got into the editor and ran the sheet, got the debug thing and altered the line to read myUrl = "https://www.sharecast.com" + CStr(csi)

Came out saved and reopened HYPTUSS which on asking for forecast divs runs endlessly. Debug screen highlights ".send".

Here's an image of the editor after clicking "debug": actually, I can't post the image here because either LMF has changed or Imgur has: I can no longer copy and post the image as I used to.

I hope my completely silly fumblings might be good feedback to show everyone how an ignoramus can get in quite a pickle!

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 24th, 2019, 9:43 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

OK, I got into the editor and ran the sheet, got the debug thing and altered the line to read myUrl = "https://www.sharecast.com" + CStr(csi)

Came out saved and reopened HYPTUSS which on asking for forecast divs runs endlessly. Debug screen highlights ".send".

Here's an image of the editor after clicking "debug": actually, I can't post the image here because either LMF has changed or Imgur has: I can no longer copy and post the image as I used to.

I hope my completely silly fumblings might be good feedback to show everyone how an ignoramus can get in quite a pickle!

Arb.

Hi Arb.

I've made the change suggested by Itsallaguess and published 11.70-dev1.xls at http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... _page.html

Can you try this out with a few shares and see if that solves your problem?

Note this is only a test version, and I have only changed the code for the "Get Digital Look Forecast Yields" button on the "High Yield Portfolio" sheet.

I agree with Itsallaguess that this sounds like a DNS issue, but I'm not 100% convinced. If you click on the "Open DL Site" button, what happens? What web browser are you using?

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2019, 12:48 pm

kiloran wrote:
I've made the change suggested by Itsallaguess and published 11.70-dev1.xls at http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... _page.html

Note this is only a test version, and I have only changed the code for the "Get Digital Look Forecast Yields" button on the "High Yield Portfolio" sheet.

I agree with Itsallaguess that this sounds like a DNS issue, but I'm not 100% convinced. If you click on the "Open DL Site" button, what happens? What web browser are you using?

--kiloran

I treid again will a vanilla version - before you had put up 11.70-dev, and received the same time out error.

However, that attempt crossed with your new version, which I've now run with a few shares, and it works perfectly. DL Site button works fine, and I'm using Chrome. DL site button works for me with 11.69 too.

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but thanks for this new version.

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 24th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

I treid again will a vanilla version - before you had put up 11.70-dev, and received the same time out error.

However, that attempt crossed with your new version, which I've now run with a few shares, and it works perfectly. DL Site button works fine, and I'm using Chrome. DL site button works for me with 11.69 too.

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but thanks for this new version.

Arb.

Many thanks for the feedback, Arb. I think we'll need to update HYPTUSS to get rid of the references to Digital Look and Webfg. I've already done this on a LibreOffice test version. I'll have a chat with Itsallaguess to put a plan together.

What confuses me is that the Forecast Yield button fails, yet the Open DL Site button is OK. If one fails, I would expect the other to fail. Such are the mysteries of programming.

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2019, 2:47 pm

kiloran wrote:
Many thanks for the feedback, Arb. I think we'll need to update HYPTUSS to get rid of the references to Digital Look and Webfg. I've already done this on a LibreOffice test version. I'll have a chat with Itsallaguess to put a plan together.

What confuses me is that the Forecast Yield button fails, yet the Open DL Site button is OK. If one fails, I would expect the other to fail. Such are the mysteries of programming.

--kiloran

My thanks to you for getting HYPTUSS working. I won't migrate all my columns etc across for a while: I'll wait for the official updated (non-dev) version. However, I can now do a quick update of topup positions if I need to.

Arb.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 24th, 2019, 11:38 pm

Arborbridge wrote: actually, I can't post the image here because either LMF has changed or Imgur has: I can no longer copy and post the image as I used to.

It's neither of the above. The setting to allow (or not) posting images using the [ img ] [ /img ] tags is specific to each LMF board. This particular board is configured not to allow images. You can tell that from the editor, the Img button is conspicuous by its absence.

You can still post a link to Imgur though.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 25th, 2019, 6:52 am

Breelander wrote:
Arborbridge wrote: actually, I can't post the image here because either LMF has changed or Imgur has: I can no longer copy and post the image as I used to.

It's neither of the above. The setting to allow (or not) posting images using the [ img ] [ /img ] tags is specific to each LMF board. This particular board is configured not to allow images. You can tell that from the editor, the Img button is conspicuous by its absence.

You can still post a link to Imgur though.

Thank you Bree - I didn't know that, and hadn't realised that boards would have different functionality.

Arb.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”