Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS Price Scrape Error

Discussions regarding financial software
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: HYPTUSS Price Scrape Error

Postby Arborbridge » April 15th, 2021, 6:38 pm

kiloran wrote:It'll probably be tomorrow afternoon before I can look at this, Arb, but I wonder if you perhaps have two entries for Reckitt in your data sheet? HYPTUSS will use the first entry it finds. Just a thought.

--kiloran

That would have been easy, but unfortunately not. I altered the original entry by pasting the new URL and changing RB to RKT.

My reckitt in the company data sheet is between Reach and Redrow and line 383.

Arb

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 15th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Arborbridge wrote: I altered the original entry by pasting the new URL and changing RB to RKT.

I pasted the entire line from the new company_data_sheet.txt on the Lemon Fool repository over the old Reckitt_Benckiser row in the 'Digital Look Data Sheet' of my existing HYPTUSS. That works fine.

Did you remember to also change the Ticker from RB to RKT on your 'High Yield Portfolio' sheet? That's essential.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 15th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Breelander wrote:
Arborbridge wrote: I altered the original entry by pasting the new URL and changing RB to RKT.

I pasted the entire line from the new company_data_sheet.txt on the Lemon Fool repository over the old Reckitt_Benckiser row in the 'Digital Look Data Sheet' of my existing HYPTUSS. That works fine.

Did you remember to also change the Ticker from RB to RKT on your 'High Yield Portfolio' sheet? That's essential.

Yes, I remembered to change the ticker, otherwise you get #N/A in name and sector cells.
I re-pasted the new company data fresh from weebly just now in case it made a difference, but there's no change.

It wouldn't matter quite so much except that when the forecast routine reaches RKT, it will go no further so any shares beyond that do not get filled.

I could just sell Reckitt :lol:

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 15th, 2021, 10:05 pm

1. Delete RKT .

2 Add RKT and shares qty.

At least it will populate all the other share info before falling over on RKT on the last line to which you can add the yield manually such that "Top Up" order can be calculated.

( temporary work around).

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 16th, 2021, 7:13 am

monabri wrote:1. Delete RKT .

2 Add RKT and shares qty.

At least it will populate all the other share info before falling over on RKT on the last line to which you can add the yield manually such that "Top Up" order can be calculated.

( temporary work around).

Yes, thanks. I thought of that as soon as I woke up this morning :)

I thought I might import the latest copy of the company data sheet, but after several attempts, realised I just don't know how to do it. I don't believe there's a specific instruction in the HYPTUSS user guide, not one that I have found. I shouldn't need to do it for just one company, but it's a piece of housekeeping I ought to know how to do.

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 16th, 2021, 2:58 pm

kiloran wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
kiloran wrote:Hi Arb. Version 11.75 was announced here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27989
We hid that pretty well didn't we? :lol: Took me a wee while to find it! 11.75 is available here: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... _page.html

Anyway, I checked 11.74 with the new company data sheet for Reckitt and it works fine for me. See:
https://i.postimg.cc/zX61c8Hx/HYP-11-74-for-RKT.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/QdhvPCxk/Data-Sheet-for-RKT.jpg

What data do you see? What yield source do you have in cell B5 on the Parameters sheet?

--kiloran

I believe I saw the test version of 11.75, but decided not to use it until is was "concretised". I'd just rather not go through the routine of adding my extra pages and columns until I have to 8-)

Here are my equivalent screen shots. Maybe I've entered something wrong, but I cannot see it.

https://i.imgur.com/w3eQfYw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hqBRRsL.jpg

What I see in B5 on the parameters sheet is a choice of forecast or latest. Both return a blank and a box telling me there's a run time error and the process has been cancelled. Or "canceled" as the PC always mispronounces it.

At the moment I am pasting and copying the latest price in when I need to, (it's only one company that's the problem) but hopefully we can resolve this before long.

Thanks for your patience so far: sorry I didn't respond to your help before this, but family duties interposed.

Arb.

It'll probably be tomorrow afternoon before I can look at this, Arb, but I wonder if you perhaps have two entries for Reckitt in your data sheet? HYPTUSS will use the first entry it finds. Just a thought.

--kiloran

Hi Arb.
I've created a test file for you. It's HYPTUSS v11.74 but with the data sheet replaced by the current version. I added RKT to the HYP sheet and the Watchlist sheet, and also added a share after RKT. I also removed the macro password so if the macro falls into an ungainly heap, it should highlight the offending line.

The test version is at the bottom of http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... _page.html

Can you try this out?

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 16th, 2021, 3:50 pm

kiloran wrote:[
Hi Arb.
I've created a test file for you. It's HYPTUSS v11.74 but with the data sheet replaced by the current version. I added RKT to the HYP sheet and the Watchlist sheet, and also added a share after RKT. I also removed the macro password so if the macro falls into an ungainly heap, it should highlight the offending line.

The test version is at the bottom of http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... _page.html

Can you try this out?

--kiloran

That worked OK, both price and yield. I've arranged your test version and my Copy of 11.74 next to one another to compare, and can't spot the difference, though there must be one. The entry in the company data seems identical.

What should I do now?

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 16th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Hi Arb.

Can you try this out?

--kiloran

That worked OK, both price and yield. I've arranged your test version and my Copy of 11.74 next to one another to compare, and can't spot the difference, though there must be one. The entry in the company data seems identical.

What should I do now?

Arb.

Throw Excel out of the window and resort to pencil and paper?
You could email your HYPTUSS to the address at the bottom of http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/ and we can have a look at it.

Isn't software fun!!??

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 17th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Hi Arb.

Can you try this out?

--kiloran

What should I do now?

Arb.

Arb, I've been playing around and one thing I noticed is that a space character at the end of the entry in column A "/equity/Reckitt_Benckiser_Group-13247" (or any other non-visible character) causes the process to fail. This, of course, would not show up in the screen shots. You could use the =len() formula to check the length of the entry. It should be 37 characters.

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2021, 7:38 am

kiloran wrote:
Arb, I've been playing around and one thing I noticed is that a space character at the end of the entry in column A "/equity/Reckitt_Benckiser_Group-13247" (or any other non-visible character) causes the process to fail. This, of course, would not show up in the screen shots. You could use the =len() formula to check the length of the entry. It should be 37 characters.

--kiloran

Yes, Len() returns 37 characters. Indeed the sharecast page opens also,(using the Sharecast web page button on HYPTUSS) which suggests that it is correct.

I've rearranged my HYPTUSS so that RKT comes as the last share, and I put in the yield manually.
However, if I knew how to "import" the new company data page from the weebly website, that would make an interesting test.
Or I could wait until 11.75 is released as an official update with the new data already spliced in.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 18th, 2021, 10:29 am

Arborbridge wrote:
I've rearranged my HYPTUSS so that RKT comes as the last share, and I put in the yield manually.

However, if I knew how to "import" the new company data page from the weebly website, that would make an interesting test.

Hi Arb,

I've now created an online video showing RB being added to the vanilla Excel v11.74 download file, and with it's ticker then being changed to RKT and the row highlighted in yellow for ease of following the video.

It then shows how to follow the simple process of updating the current 'Company Data Sheet' information with the latest updated file from the Lemon Fool Financial Software page, and how that process will then enable the new RKT ticker to be recognised correctly as Reckitt Benckiser Group again, as well as returning positive results from the price and yield scrape functionality -

https://vimeo.com/538274793

Please note - on the above video page, there is an 'Enter Full Screen' option towards the lower-right area of the video section, and it's probably easier to follow the process in full-screen mode...

Hope this helps - and I'd be grateful for your feedback regarding the usefulness of the above video.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2021, 10:37 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Hi Arb,

I've now created an online video showing RB being added to the vanilla Excel v11.74 download file, and with it's ticker then being changed to RKT and the row highlighted in yellow for ease of following the video.

It then shows how to follow the simple process of updating the current 'Company Data Sheet' information with the latest updated file from the Lemon Fool Financial Software page, and how that process will then enable the new RKT ticker to be recognised correctly as Reckitt Benckiser Group again, as well as returning positive results from the price and yield scrape functionality -

Please note - on the above video page, there is an 'Enter Full Screen' option towards the lower-right area of the video section, and it's probably easier to follow the process in full-screen mode...

Hope this helps - and I'd be grateful for your feedback regarding the usefulness of the above video.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks so much for this. I will take a look later on, but for the moment I'm being roped into to family activities!

Arb

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » April 18th, 2021, 10:50 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Hi Arb,

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Worked for me but a reminder to those that have any "customised entries", make sure that these are at the beginning of table, select the area below these to "clear contents", then follow the "copy" instructions adding them below your "modified entries", then delete the "extra header" that you have copied.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2021, 11:14 am

I ignored the family activitied for a while and tried it.
I went through your procedure, copied the new data sheet and it worked! My confusion about how to download it was because I was looking for some fancy way to "import" the file, and hadn't realised it could just be copied and pasted. The word "import" in weebly threw me off the scent :oops:

Whatever was wrong, it was presumably a tiny error in my pasting the individual RKT data line across, possibly even an invisible error. It's a slight shame that I cannot determine what the eror was, but the important thing is that it is working now.

Anyhow, I've saved this working version with the new company data sheet under a different name and will use that from now on. I still have the old version for reference.

Thanks for your help - it does seem to have done the trick.

Hooray!
Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 18th, 2021, 11:18 am

Arborbridge wrote:
I went through your procedure, copied the new data sheet and it worked!

My confusion about how to download it was because I was looking for some fancy way to "import" the file, and hadn't realised it could just be copied and pasted. The word "import" in Weebly threw me off the scent

Whatever was wrong, it was presumably a tiny error in my pasting the individual RKT data line across, possibly even an invisible error. It's a slight shame that I cannot determine what the error was, but the important thing is that it is working now.

Anyhow, I've saved this working version with the new company data sheet under a different name and will use that from now on. I still have the old version for reference.

Hooray!

Thanks for the feedback Arb, and glad to hear that you're now up and running - hopefully kiloran can insert the URL of the new video guide onto the data-sheet download page to help future users who may have similar issues -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 18th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
I went through your procedure, copied the new data sheet and it worked!

My confusion about how to download it was because I was looking for some fancy way to "import" the file, and hadn't realised it could just be copied and pasted. The word "import" in Weebly threw me off the scent

Whatever was wrong, it was presumably a tiny error in my pasting the individual RKT data line across, possibly even an invisible error. It's a slight shame that I cannot determine what the error was, but the important thing is that it is working now.

Hooray!

Thanks for the feedback Arb, and glad to hear that you're now up and running - hopefully kiloran can insert the URL of the new video guide onto the data-sheet download page to help future users who may have similar issues -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I've added the video to http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html
Many thanks, Itsallaguess. I'll work on updating the User Guide to give more complete instructions. I've got an idea or two how we might improve the process, I'll be in touch.

Arb, I'm really confused by the cause of the problem. If it was a trailing space problem, it would be easy to fix programmatically, but you've already checked that. Is there any way you can email your HYPTUSS (or a stripped-down version of it) to our email address so that we can determine the root cause?

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2021, 1:24 pm

kiloran wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I've added the video to http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html
Many thanks, Itsallaguess. I'll work on updating the User Guide to give more complete instructions. I've got an idea or two how we might improve the process, I'll be in touch.

Arb, I'm really confused by the cause of the problem. If it was a trailing space problem, it would be easy to fix programmatically, but you've already checked that. Is there any way you can email your HYPTUSS (or a stripped-down version of it) to our email address so that we can determine the root cause?

--kiloran[/quote]

I emailed a copy of the cut down version on Friday. I've just sent it again to <tmf.financial.software@gmail.com> - let me know if it is not received.

Arb,

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 18th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
I emailed a copy of the cut down version on Friday. I've just sent it again to <tmf.financial.software@gmail.com> - let me know if it is not received.

Arb,

Doh! I've been watching the account and no email. I just checked again and nothing there, then checked the Spam folder..... they are! Clearly, your email address has been logged as a well-known scammer!!!!

I'll have a look at it shortly

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 18th, 2021, 1:40 pm

kiloran wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb,

Doh! I've been watching the account and no email. I just checked again and nothing there, then checked the Spam folder..... they are! Clearly, your email address has been logged as a well-known scammer!!!!

--kiloran

Problem solved!!!!!

Cell A383 of your data sheet contains "/equity/Reckitt_Benckiser_Group-13247 "
It has 5 trailing spaces. I removed them and everything works OK.

I've no idea why the visual basic code dislikes a trailing space in a URL, but it's easy to fix this. We'll at a wee bit of code to strip out any trailing spaces in the next published version

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2021, 2:36 pm

kiloran wrote:
kiloran wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb,

--kiloran

Problem solved!!!!!

Cell A383 of your data sheet contains "/equity/Reckitt_Benckiser_Group-13247 "
It has 5 trailing spaces. I removed them and everything works OK.

I've no idea why the visual basic code dislikes a trailing space in a URL, but it's easy to fix this. We'll at a wee bit of code to strip out any trailing spaces in the next published version

--kiloran

:oops: It certainly does and it shows up both in Len() and just counting the spaces! Yet when I used Lens() earlier it told me their were 37 characters. I can only assume I picked up on the wrong company data sheet yp test it - one that happened to be correct. And the macro also opens the sharecast page successfully which made me feel the entry must be OK. When I pasted from the original, somehow the spaces were included.

Well, mystery solved and something else learnt. Thanks you so much for your help.

Arb.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”