Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

End of support for HYPTUSS

Discussions regarding financial software
johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Re: End of support for HYPTUSS

Postby johnstevens77 » April 18th, 2024, 1:47 pm

Thank you for all your hard work over the years, I came to rely upon it, perhaps too much!

I am no computer guru so will have to get help setting up something similar, maybe our son can help, he is a consultant softwear engineer but has nothing to do with finance.

Anyone else have any ideas apart from doing everything manually?

Good luck and continued good fortune to you both.

john

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 18th, 2024, 4:40 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:Thank you for all your hard work over the years, I came to rely upon it, perhaps too much!

I am no computer guru so will have to get help setting up something similar, maybe our son can help, he is a consultant softwear engineer but has nothing to do with finance.

john

It's not too difficult doing it manually. Dividends are only announce 2 or 4 times per year. Prices can be found after the close fairly easily. If you have a portfolio on a website, it is fairly easy to copy it daily to Notepad and thence into a spreadsheet, or you can do it longhand and enter the prices yourself.

Now you need to rank them by yield from high to low, 1 is highest, and then inversely by holding value (1 is lowest), add those rankings and rank them. That gives you the order in which they should be topped up. It is not hard to put this in one or more spreadsheets.

TJH

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 18th, 2024, 5:57 pm

I use HYPTUSS purely to scrape shareprices to feed into another Excel sheet. I need a reliable method of scraping prices. Thus, I assembled a bunch of shares to look at the prices returned by HYPTUSS versus "Simple Price Scrape V2-1.xls" available via The Lemon Fool.

https://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weeb ... crape.html

It's 17:45 so we are past market close - that's when I ran both HYPTUSS and the Simple Price Scrape ("SPS") to compare the values by looking at the difference in the price that each return - see the last column. I used SPS to scrape a price from "SharePrices.com".

Results

Conclusion
The majority of values scraped by both HYPTUSS and SPS are in agreement but there are one or two things to note.

(1) The price for Lindsell Train Investments ; HYPTUS returns the figures in pence - whereas the figure returned by SPS appears to be returned in pound Sterling.

(2) Shares such as Woodside (WDS) - the simple price scrape returned a price - my version of HYPTUSS did not - I suspect this is because I'm using an older version of HYPTUSS so - My Fault!

(3) Shares listed in Euros (eg BOXE) returned a value of 0.56 Euros so we need to note this.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 18th, 2024, 7:43 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
johnstevens77 wrote:Thank you for all your hard work over the years, I came to rely upon it, perhaps too much!

john

It's not too difficult doing it manually. Dividends are only announce 2 or 4 times per year. Prices can be found after the close fairly easily. If you have a portfolio on a website, it is fairly easy to copy it daily to Notepad and thence into a spreadsheet, or you can do it longhand and enter the prices yourself.

Now you need to rank them by yield from high to low, 1 is highest, and then inversely by holding value (1 is lowest), add those rankings and rank them. That gives you the order in which they should be topped up. It is not hard to put this in one or more spreadsheets.

TJH

Thanks Terry, well explained as usual.

john

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 18th, 2024, 7:48 pm

monabri wrote:I use HYPTUSS purely to scrape shareprices to feed into another Excel sheet. I need a reliable method of scraping prices. Thus, I assembled a bunch of shares to look at the prices returned by HYPTUSS versus "Simple Price Scrape V2-1.xls" available via The Lemon Fool.

https://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weeb ... crape.html

snip
snip
snip

Conclusion
The majority of values scraped by both HYPTUSS and SPS are in agreement but there are one or two things to note.

(1) The price for Lindsell Train Investments ; HYPTUS returns the figures in pence - whereas the figure returned by SPS appears to be returned in pound Sterling.

(2) Shares such as Woodside (WDS) - the simple price scrape returned a price - my version of HYPTUSS did not - I suspect this is because I'm using an older version of HYPTUSS so - My Fault!

(3) Shares listed in Euros (eg BOXE) returned a value of 0.56 Euros so we need to note this.

HYPTUSS and Simple Price Scrape treat currencies differently very deliberately.

HYPTUSS converts everything to pence. The price for shares not natively in pence is displayed in red to indicate that it is a calculated price. Having everything in a common currency is necessary since HYPTUSS is used for a portfolio, so a consistent currency is required for totals, etc.

The Simple Price Scrape is designed to be as simple as possible, with no currency assumptions or calculations, and little need for ongoing maintenance if we suddenly get a share quoted in Sudanese pounds or whatever. So the SPS displays the share price as-is, but also shows the currency so the user can make their own decision on how to handle non-pence.

--kiloran

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 18th, 2024, 8:48 pm

Are there any plans to "open source" all this work, eg. on GitHub ? Or it may be already ? Some brave soul may or may not pick it up in future.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 18th, 2024, 8:58 pm

moorfield wrote:Are there any plans to "open source" all this work, eg. on GitHub ? Or it may be already ? Some brave soul may or may not pick it up in future.

I've never played around with GitHub and not sure I want to add a new string to my bow at this point. All macros are already freely accessible so anybody can change them, and even add to GitHub if they wish. If anyone wants to update HYPTUSS in the future, I'm more than willing to publish to our Weebly web site.

--kiloran

jeff50

Postby jeff50 » April 24th, 2024, 10:13 am

Thank you both for the amazing work you have done over many years to maintain Hyptuss. It is and has been a valuable tool for lots of people and will be sorely missed by all. You both deserve a knighthood for the work and efforts you have given freely to supporting the board members. Best wishes to you both.
Regards
Jeff

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 24th, 2024, 1:52 pm

jeff50 wrote:Thank you both for the amazing work you have done over many years to maintain Hyptuss. It is and has been a valuable tool for lots of people and will be sorely missed by all. You both deserve a knighthood for the work and efforts you have given freely to supporting the board members. Best wishes to you both.
Regards
Jeff

Agreed.

Hat’s off to Sir kiloran & Sir IAAG.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”