Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

help with easy to access dividend data

Discussions regarding financial software
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

help with easy to access dividend data

Postby Arborbridge » August 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am

I'm sure something has altered since I went on holiday - or maybe I misremember.

There used to be a link which brought up an easy to copy dividend data list nicely laid out giving dates of all dividends.

I believe it was obtainable here:

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... ?epic=lgen

as an example. But they are not giving the detailed date information now.

Did I miss-remember - perhaps I was using a different site? Can anyone point me to a better site?

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: help with easy to access dividend data

Postby monabri » August 2nd, 2018, 8:46 am

Click on the square box at the top of the page that your link takes you to ( Ex Dividend dates or Payment dates depending on what info you need).

I find that particular site to be very useful. It presents historical info on dividends paid, share splits, calculations of compounded annual growth rates in dividends, XD info and payment info. It also presents a list of companies which can be sorted in terms of current dividend yield ( option to include specials), it flags up Divi cutters as well. It's also very easy to navigate..... usually ;)

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » August 2nd, 2018, 9:15 am

It looks as if monbari has pointed you to the date info but the alternative site that I use is Stockopedia. Much of the data is subscription only but luckily not the dividend summaries. Look up a stock and then go to the menus, hover over "Accounts" to get the drop-down menu, and then select "Dividend summary". Here's an example of the LGEN data. I like the way it's all formatted into one table with each individual payment split out and helpful annual totals on the right as well....

https://www.stockopedia.com/share-price ... dividends/

I tend to look up a share by EPIC by the way. The dynamic drop-down search result suggestions are good and clicking on the correct one then gets me to what I want.

- Julian

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 2nd, 2018, 9:21 am

monabri wrote:Click on the square box at the top of the page that your link takes you to ( Ex Dividend dates or Payment dates depending on what info you need).

I find that particular site to be very useful. It presents historical info on dividends paid, share splits, calculations of compounded annual growth rates in dividends, XD info and payment info. It also presents a list of companies which can be sorted in terms of current dividend yield ( option to include specials), it flags up Divi cutters as well. It's also very easy to navigate..... usually ;)

That means another click and another search by EPIC, whereas my link used to go straight to a list of a single company.
However, that does get me to a list, but I'm sure it isn't the same list! Thanks for the help.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 2nd, 2018, 9:25 am

Julian wrote:It looks as if monbari has pointed you to the date info but the alternative site that I use is Stockopedia. Much of the data is subscription only but luckily not the dividend summaries. Look up a stock and then go to the menus, hover over "Accounts" to get the drop-down menu, and then select "Dividend summary". Here's an example of the LGEN data. I like the way it's all formatted into one table with each individual payment split out and helpful annual totals on the right as well....

https://www.stockopedia.com/share-price ... dividends/

I tend to look up a share by EPIC by the way. The dynamic drop-down search result suggestions are good and clicking on the correct one then gets me to what I want.

- Julian

Thanks for that Julian. Interestingly, that looks much more like the format I remember from the links I've been using to dividenddata, which is pretty weird since I've never looked at the stockopedia site for dividends. I'm even more convinced that something has altered in the way dividenddata is working. The change has been since early May.

Thanks for all the help.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 2nd, 2018, 9:31 am

Thanks for the Stockopedia table, Julian

It is a pity that they did not adjust for the 4 for 1 Split in 1999 because it gives the wrong impression. Otherwise if you want historical dividend info it seems pretty good. I am always a bit suspicious of third party sites as they can be and quite often in my experience are not all that accurate.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 2nd, 2018, 10:01 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks for the Stockopedia table, Julian

It is a pity that they did not adjust for the 4 for 1 Split in 1999 because it gives the wrong impression. Otherwise if you want historical dividend info it seems pretty good. I am always a bit suspicious of third party sites as they can be and quite often in my experience are not all that accurate.

Dod

For my purposes, I'd far rather have a third party site than spend hours trawling through company reports or RNS notices. No thanks - I can sort out the occasional anomaly, or if it goes unnoticed such a mistake would hardly be catastrophic.
This is, you might argue, the downside of too many holdings ;) 36 shares and 19 income ITs.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 2nd, 2018, 10:09 am

Ah but Arb, I have my own records fro those that I care about, that is those where I have held for a long time. For instance I have held Legal & General continuously since 1995 and have records from then! I still have some in certificated form from that time.

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 2nd, 2018, 10:56 am

Arborbridge wrote:For my purposes, I'd far rather have a third party site than spend hours trawling through company reports or RNS notices. No thanks - I can sort out the occasional anomaly, or if it goes unnoticed such a mistake would hardly be catastrophic.

I personally use 3rd-party sites (very frequently ADVFN's "Financials" page - e.g. https://uk.advfn.com/p.php?pid=financia ... EN&s_ok=OK - for the fact that it contains a lot of other information as well) but do look out for anomalies and investigate them when found - generally first with dividenddata in the case of anomalies in dividend data, and then if necessary with company reports and RNSes. Just how carefully I look out for them does depend on how much I personally have at stake on the information - final checks on a share I'm actually going to buy deserve a lot more care than checking out a company in order to post about it! (So remember that anything I post is also a 3rd-party source...)

The other thing to say about it is that if I have done a detailed check, or even downloaded a company report, I usually keep a record of it on my desktop. Trawling through company reports is a lot quicker if one doesn't have to navigate one's way through a huge variety of investor relations sites to find them first, and in these days of terabyte hard discs, hundreds or even thousands of company report PDFs only use a small fraction of their capacity.

Gengulphus

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 2nd, 2018, 3:49 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I'm sure something has altered since I went on holiday - or maybe I misremember.

There used to be a link which brought up an easy to copy dividend data list nicely laid out giving dates of all dividends.

I believe it was obtainable here:

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... ?epic=lgen

as an example. But they are not giving the detailed date information now.

Did I miss-remember - perhaps I was using a different site? Can anyone point me to a better site?

Is this the page you've been looking for Arb?

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ex-divid ... hTerm=LGEN

It's available via a tiny URL link at the bottom of your original link above, or you can of course just change the EPIC in the above URL....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 2nd, 2018, 6:02 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Is this the page you've been looking for Arb?

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ex-divid ... hTerm=LGEN

It's available via a tiny URL link at the bottom of your original link above, or you can of course just change the EPIC in the above URL....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Actually, no - or at least, if it is, it's changed completely. It will certainly do the job, but it isn't as good. The link I have (and I haven't altered the link in my spreadsheet since May) used to go to a page which was formatted (as I recall) as follows:-

Top half was rows of various ratios, by year. For example, total dividend, profit, cash available to pay dividends, etc. On the right handside there were some thumbnails showing various charts or histograms, e.g. dividends by year. If one clicked on the thumbnail one would find an enlarged version like the one in your link.

Below these rows of company numbers was a table/list of dividends by date, giving XD date etc of both interim and finals.

I wonder what became of this page? And does anyone else remember it or miss it?

Wmnr

Postby Wmnr » August 2nd, 2018, 8:32 pm

I use stockopedia for dividend information too, but I get to it by typing the following into Google

Cty stockopedia dividends

Cty being the code for City of London IT

Hope someone finds this useful

Bhoddhisatva
Lemon Pip

Postby Bhoddhisatva » August 21st, 2018, 11:03 am

May I ask who or what is behind www.dividenddata.co.uk/ ?

I cannot find anywhere on the site who compiles the data (which is said to be done manually from annual reports etc.) or who the publisher is.

It

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 21st, 2018, 11:32 am

Bhoddhisatva wrote:May I ask who or what is behind http://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ ?

I cannot find anywhere on the site who compiles the data (which is said to be done manually from annual reports etc.) or who the publisher is.

It

No idea. A whois lookup shows that the site is hosted by 123-reg, but I cannot see any details of the site owner. I get the impression that it is run by some enthusiastic amateurs, but that impression may be very wide of the mark.

The bottom of the page has a Contact link, so you could ask them directly

--kiloran

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 21st, 2018, 4:39 pm

Bhoddhisatva wrote:May I ask who or what is behind http://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ ?

Yes and their Privacy Policy & Terms of Use adds little.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 21st, 2018, 4:49 pm

kiloran wrote:No idea. A whois lookup shows that the site is hosted by 123-reg, but I cannot see any details of the site owner...

Technically, the site is registered by 123-reg - it's hosted by Paragon Internet Group Limited.

https://myip.ms/browse/sites/1/url/divi ... rID/386132

123-reg and Paragon are brand names of Host Europe Group, which in turn, is now part of GoDaddy...
https://www.heg.com/#ourbusiness

Bhoddhisatva
Lemon Pip

Postby Bhoddhisatva » August 22nd, 2018, 8:15 am

I've emailed them and asked but I also suggested that if they want to attract/keep users (and they seem to want to do so as they are trying to get some advertising revenue) they would perhaps do better if users knew who was behind it, who is doing the (manual extraction from annual reports they say!) dividend data compilation and hence we can have some confidence in the accuracy/objectivity of the results.

No reply so far a day later.

Bhoddhisatva
Lemon Pip

Postby Bhoddhisatva » August 28th, 2018, 11:18 am

A week later and no reply so used their contact form to ask again. Will let you know if I hear anything ...

Bhoddhisatva
Lemon Pip

Postby Bhoddhisatva » September 22nd, 2018, 10:52 am

Disappointed to say that I've had no reply (gave email and mobile no) to a request at dividenddata.co.uk for some info on who is behind this web site and who compiles the data and how ... after 2 requests and a month later I guess they don't wish to respond.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”