Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

HYP Selection Websites

Discussions regarding financial software
Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1838
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 589 times

HYP Selection Websites

#163568

Postby Snorvey » September 1st, 2018, 2:21 pm

I haven't researched (or bought) any new shares for a while, but I'm looking to do so soon.

My traditional go to was The Bank of Scotland MarketWatch website, that allowed me to screen share on yield, PE, cover etc. That seems to have go now and Digital Look (where I think they drew they're data from seems to have done away with all the screening stuff, heat maps and so on.

Any other popular options? I've downloaded the HYPTUSS software, but I need to sit down and familiarise myself with it.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3306
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 801 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163570

Postby idpickering » September 1st, 2018, 2:31 pm

Snorvey wrote:I haven't researched (or bought) any new shares for a while, but I'm looking to do so soon.

My traditional go to was The Bank of Scotland MarketWatch website, that allowed me to screen share on yield, PE, cover etc. That seems to have go now and Digital Look (where I think they drew they're data from seems to have done away with all the screening stuff, heat maps and so on.

Any other popular options? I've downloaded the HYPTUSS software, but I need to sit down and familiarise myself with it.


Hi Snorvey, I still use the screener at digitallook, which is more than adequate for my needs. See;

http://www.digitallook.com/dlmedia/inve ... s/screener

Hope that helps,

Ian.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1838
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163572

Postby Snorvey » September 1st, 2018, 2:41 pm

Thanks Ian. It all seems to have changed. I don't like change.


And apparently I do have a login for it. Somewhere.

monabri
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1947
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 445 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163573

Postby monabri » September 1st, 2018, 2:48 pm

Check out SimplyWallStreet (SWS)- if you supply your email address you can assess potential candidates (10 per month in the free version).

So, after having done your initial screening and perhaps having half a dozen candidates, it's worth a look at SWS - it often highlights many things that are not apparent from simple checks. It has stopped me from buying what I thought were "opportunities" (when they weren't).

(I actually subscribe).

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1415
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163574

Postby kiloran » September 1st, 2018, 2:57 pm

Try this: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... se350.html

A simple Excel/LibreOffice spreadsheet with lots of data for the FTSE350, which you can filter any way you want.
I updated it for the end of August data a few hours ago

--kioran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2211
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163575

Postby Breelander » September 1st, 2018, 3:03 pm

Snorvey wrote:...And apparently I do have a login for it. Somewhere.


Yes, a free registration is needed to get access to creating/saving your own screens, or creating watchlists or portfolios where you can see heatmaps, etc.

http://www.digitallook.com/registration


There's a paid-for option at £20/month. I'm not suggesting you pay for the extras, just pointing out that some do. As a source of profits, the service is (one would hope) less likely to disappear overnight.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1520
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163578

Postby Raptor » September 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm

Moderator Message:
Moving to "financial software" with shadow left. Raptor.

Gostevie
Lemon Pip
Posts: 51
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163624

Postby Gostevie » September 1st, 2018, 9:31 pm

Hi Snorvey, I still use the screener at digitallook, which is more than adequate for my needs. See;

http://www.digitallook.com/dlmedia/inve ... s/screener

Hope that helps,

Ian.


I agree with Ian, with the caveat that the data on Digital Look does need verifying before making any decisions as it does contain errors - which is fair enough for a free service.

Gostevie

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1838
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163625

Postby Snorvey » September 1st, 2018, 9:36 pm

For the very limited number of filters I actually use, I seem to be getting on alright with the StepOne spreadsheet.

...with the same caveat that Stevie mentions above

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1838
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163629

Postby Snorvey » September 1st, 2018, 10:18 pm

I like the how you can highlight the stocks that interest you, save the spreadsheet, and come back to them later on. Saves me having to write them down on a bit of paper.

...AND I've just discovered that if you tap on the company name it takes you to the Morning Star share factsheet.

Cool.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1838
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163884

Postby Snorvey » September 3rd, 2018, 12:06 pm

kiloran wrote:Try this: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... se350.html

A simple Excel/LibreOffice spreadsheet with lots of data for the FTSE350, which you can filter any way you want.
I updated it for the end of August data a few hours ago

--kioran


See the blue buttons on the 'Help' page? They (i.e. Update Price from Yahoo / DT) don't seem to work for me (using Open Office on W7)

Any thoughts?

Ta.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2211
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163896

Postby Breelander » September 3rd, 2018, 12:47 pm

Snorvey wrote:See the blue buttons on the 'Help' page? They (i.e. Update Price from Yahoo / DT) don't seem to work for me (using Open Office on W7)


Works for me (Libre Office/W10). Have you set the security options in your Open Office to allow macros? I have mine set to 'Medium: Confirmation required before executing macros from untrusted sources'. Anything higher than that will disable the macros in this spreadsheet.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1415
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163897

Postby kiloran » September 3rd, 2018, 12:50 pm

Snorvey wrote:
kiloran wrote:Try this: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... se350.html

A simple Excel/LibreOffice spreadsheet with lots of data for the FTSE350, which you can filter any way you want.
I updated it for the end of August data a few hours ago

--kioran


See the blue buttons on the 'Help' page? They (i.e. Update Price from Yahoo / DT) don't seem to work for me (using Open Office on W7)

Any thoughts?

Ta.

I suspect you haven't enabled macros on OpenOffice.
TOOLS/OPTIONS/OPENOFFICE/SECURITY/MACRO SECURITY and set to Medium.
I think you may need to restart OpenOffice.

Now the bad news.....
I just tried it and got an error when I tried to update prices from Yahoo, using OpenOffice Portable 4.1.3 on Windows 7. Works fine when using LibreOffice. I know it used to work on OpenOffice, so something must have changed.
I'm sure it won't be too hard to fix, so hopefully I'll have an update available later today.

--kiloran

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1838
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#163898

Postby Snorvey » September 3rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

No worries.

The buying price is not important.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1415
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: HYP Selection Websites

#164131

Postby kiloran » September 4th, 2018, 12:55 pm

kiloran wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
kiloran wrote:Try this: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... se350.html

A simple Excel/LibreOffice spreadsheet with lots of data for the FTSE350, which you can filter any way you want.
I updated it for the end of August data a few hours ago

--kioran


See the blue buttons on the 'Help' page? They (i.e. Update Price from Yahoo / DT) don't seem to work for me (using Open Office on W7)

Any thoughts?

Ta.

I suspect you haven't enabled macros on OpenOffice.
TOOLS/OPTIONS/OPENOFFICE/SECURITY/MACRO SECURITY and set to Medium.
I think you may need to restart OpenOffice.

Now the bad news.....
I just tried it and got an error when I tried to update prices from Yahoo, using OpenOffice Portable 4.1.3 on Windows 7. Works fine when using LibreOffice. I know it used to work on OpenOffice, so something must have changed.
I'm sure it won't be too hard to fix, so hopefully I'll have an update available later today.

--kiloran

OK Snorvey, I've updated the OpenOffice/LibreOffice version to 1.21 at http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... se350.html

This should resolve the problem running in on OpenOffice

--kiloran


Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests