Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS and dividenddata problems?

Discussions regarding financial software
Raptor
Lemon Quarter

HYPTUSS and dividenddata problems?

Postby Raptor » September 8th, 2018, 4:34 pm

After finding out from IAAG dividend update for September on HYP Practical that I was missing LLOY off my list? So went back to HYPTUSS to investigate. First checked the company corporate link to make sure it was paying in September, it was. Run ADFVN and investorease and neither had LLOY paying a dividend and ADFVN had other errors of dates for my shares.
So switched to dividenddata and got "NO RESPONSE" from every share? Rather than go through the "code" I downloaded a vanilla HYPTUSS and run it with just BP with same response or should I say "NO RESPONSE" :lol:

I checked the dividenddata web-site and the relevant pages do have the correct data for the shares?

So ADFVN and investorease data is not up to date or accurate and dividenddate has gone awol? Wonder if Kiloran or IAAG have an idea on what has happened to dividenddata (maybe they have just blocked me for ever.. :oops: )

Raptor.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: HYPTUSS and dividenddata problems?

Postby Itsallaguess » September 8th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Raptor wrote:
After finding out from IAAG dividend update for September on HYP Practical that I was missing LLOY off my list? So went back to HYPTUSS to investigate. First checked the company corporate link to make sure it was paying in September, it was.

Run ADFVN and investorease and neither had LLOY paying a dividend and ADFVN had other errors of dates for my shares.

So switched to dividenddata and got "NO RESPONSE" from every share? Rather than go through the "code" I downloaded a vanilla HYPTUSS and run it with just BP with same response or should I say "NO RESPONSE"

I checked the dividenddata web-site and the relevant pages do have the correct data for the shares?

So ADFVN and investorease data is not up to date or accurate and dividenddate has gone awol?

Wonder if Kiloran or IAAG have an idea on what has happened to dividenddata (maybe they have just blocked me for ever.....)

I've just tried it on a vanilla download of the Excel version, and it works fine with the Dividend Data source -

https://i.imgur.com/uRxu8n9.png

Looks like it's something at your end?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 8th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Raptor wrote:After finding out from IAAG dividend update for September on HYP Practical that I was missing LLOY off my list? So went back to HYPTUSS to investigate. First checked the company corporate link to make sure it was paying in September, it was. Run ADFVN and investorease and neither had LLOY paying a dividend and ADFVN had other errors of dates for my shares.
So switched to dividenddata and got "NO RESPONSE" from every share? Rather than go through the "code" I downloaded a vanilla HYPTUSS and run it with just BP with same response or should I say "NO RESPONSE" :lol:

So ADFVN and investorease data is not up to date or accurate and dividenddate has gone awol? Wonder if Kiloran or IAAG have an idea on what has happened to dividenddata (maybe they have just blocked me for ever.. :oops: )

Raptor.

Strange.
I checked LLOY on the LibreOffice version of HYPTUSS and it worked fine with Dividend Data, showing the next dividend for 26Sep18. However, the Excel version shows "No Response" for all the shares I tried, so it looks like something has changed.
Some sites such as ADVFN and Investorease are somewhat less reliable for dividends, sometimes only showing data after the dividend has been paid.

We'll have a look at the Excel HYPTUSS, I'm sure it can be fixed

--kiloran

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 8th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Seems as if The 2 of you are seeing different results? Glad that Kiloran has the same problem as if it was me then I would consider that they are out to get me!

Thanks for looking at it though.

Raptor.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 9th, 2018, 4:56 pm

I think this problem can be described as "challenging".

The Dividend Data option fails when I use Excel 2010 on Windows 7, but works with Excel 2010 on Windows 10.

When I dug into the code, I got the error "an error occurred in the secure channel support". There are suggestions that a few sites have had problems with this error in the recent past on Windows 7 (though Windows 10 is OK), and the operating system needs to support Transport Layer Security TLS 1.2. My Windows 7 does support this, so at the moment I'm rather flummoxed, and working on black magic such as TLS is way above my pay grade.

I'll keep working on it, I might strike lucky

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 9th, 2018, 5:18 pm

kiloran wrote:
I think this problem can be described as "challenging".

The Dividend Data option fails when I use Excel 2010 on Windows 7, but works with Excel 2010 on Windows 10.

When I dug into the code, I got the error "an error occurred in the secure channel support". There are suggestions that a few sites have had problems with this error in the recent past on Windows 7 (though Windows 10 is OK), and the operating system needs to support Transport Layer Security TLS 1.2. My Windows 7 does support this, so at the moment I'm rather flummoxed, and working on black magic such as TLS is way above my pay grade.

I'll keep working on it, I might strike lucky

I think this is the same issue we had when HYPTUSS stopped working with XP.

There are reports that the following 'Easy Fix' solution gets Windows 7 working again when this error is seen, although I've not currently got access to a Windows 7 machine to try it out -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ls-in#easy

Two sources here that discuss the same error with Windows 7, and both cite the 'Easy Fix' as solving the issue -

https://unifaceinfo.com/forum/uniface9/ ... est-error/

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questi ... sheet.html

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 9th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:There are reports that the following 'Easy Fix' solution gets Windows 7 working again when this error is seen, although I've not currently got access to a Windows 7 machine to try it out...

I have, albeit with Excel 2000. I'll give it a go...

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 9th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Itsallaguess wrote: Two sources here that discuss the same error with Windows 7, and both cite the 'Easy Fix' as solving the issue -

You can make that three sources now.

I downloaded a fresh copy of hyp_top-up_spreadsheet_-_v11-54.xls, set the source to Dividend Data and, as expected, got the 'No response' result.

Then I tried to install the standalone package for KB3140245. I was told this package wasn't applicable to my computer when I tried to install it. This usually means that it has been superseded by a more recent update that I already had installed. You do realise that KB3140245 was issued over two years ago?

So I just downloaded and ran the Easy Fix.

Job done (didn't even have to reboot) I now see the dividend data for BP. :D

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 9th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Caramba!

I downloaded the easy fix from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ls-in#easy as suggested by Itsallaguess, and it's now working perfectly. No reboot required.

Phew!

I think I'll add this to the HYPTUSS FAQ

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 9th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Breelander wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote: Two sources here that discuss the same error with Windows 7, and both cite the 'Easy Fix' as solving the issue -

You can make that three sources now.

I downloaded a fresh copy of hyp_top-up_spreadsheet_-_v11-54.xls, set the source to Dividend Data and, as expected, got the 'No response' result.

Then I tried to install the standalone package for KB3140245. I was told this package wasn't applicable to my computer when I tried to install it. This usually means that it has been superseded by a more recent update that I already had installed. You do realise that KB3140245 was issued over two years ago?

So I just downloaded and ran the Easy Fix.

Job done (didn't even have to reboot) I now see the dividend data for BP.

Great news - thanks for proving the fix Bree, much appreciated.

I did only mention the 'Easy Fix', and the URL link went to the section on the Microsoft page where it's downloaded, so apologies if you construed the link to suggest trying the KB fix too, I should have been clearer if that was the case.

Many thanks for confirming this fix though, and hopefully Kiloran and Raptor can also confirm that they're able to get going with it too.

If so, then we'll probably package the 'Easy Fix' solution into future Windows HYPTUSS releases, with some clear instructions for Windows 7 users to follow if they have this issue.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 9th, 2018, 8:47 pm

kiloran wrote:
Caramba!

Indeed, great news.

Just Raptor to go now then, but hopefully this is a formality at this stage.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 9th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I did only mention the 'Easy Fix', and the URL link went to the section on the Microsoft page where it's downloaded, so apologies if you construed the link to suggest trying the KB fix too, I should have been clearer if that was the case.

It's just a couple of registry entries, the KB3140245 article tells you how to make them as well as providing the Easy Fix to do it for you. So I'd mention that as well.

The reason I tried to install KB3140245 was that it is necessary prerequisite, without it (or the update that superseded it) those registry keys won't have any effect.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 10th, 2018, 4:58 am

Breelander wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:I did only mention the 'Easy Fix', and the URL link went to the section on the Microsoft page where it's downloaded, so apologies if you construed the link to suggest trying the KB fix too, I should have been clearer if that was the case.

It's just a couple of registry entries, the KB3140245 article tells you how to make them as well as providing the Easy Fix to do it for you. So I'd mention that as well.

The reason I tried to install KB3140245 was that it is necessary prerequisite, without it (or the update that superseded it) those registry keys won't have any effect.

Thanks Bree - as you say, it looks like the KB3140245 has now been rolled into a later KB update, so all anyone now needs to do (so long as they are up-to-date with their Windows 7 updates....) is install the 'Easy-Fix' download to create the necessary registry values that solves this particular issue.

Great stuff - thanks again for your valuable input.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 10th, 2018, 6:10 am

Itsallaguess wrote: thanks again for your valuable input.

I'm just glad to be able give something back - in thanks for all kiloran and your hard work.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 10th, 2018, 7:54 am

Will look at thìs later when on the laptop but my op sys is so old it has whiskers.

Raptor

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 10th, 2018, 8:46 am

Seems I need to update the registry manually for TLS 1.1 and 1.2 support as I have VISTA and the easy fix is for Windows 7 only.

Have not got time at the moment as just on my way out.

Raptor.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 10th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Tried my best. Used Regedit to follow the adding of WinHttp to the two paths. Same problem, so am obviously missing something. Never mind, it is on my list to buy a new laptop. Currently running Vista and Excel 2007. Can live with not having it, just need to keep an eye on IAAGs monthly list.

At least I highlighted a possible problem other users might encounter and you provided the fix for Windows 7, so at least I have been of help, even if I am still wanting.. :lol:

Raptor.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 10th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Raptor wrote:Tried my best. Used Regedit to follow the adding of WinHttp to the two paths. Same problem, so am obviously missing something. Never mind, it is on my list to buy a new laptop. Currently running Vista and Excel 2007. Can live with not having it, just need to keep an eye on IAAGs monthly list.

At least I highlighted a possible problem other users might encounter and you provided the fix for Windows 7, so at least I have been of help, even if I am still wanting.. :lol:

Raptor.

That's a pity, Raptor. I have a laptop with dual-boot Vista/Linux Mint so I'll have a look at that, though it's several years since I used it with Vista and I know it takes 20 minutes :( or so to boot into Vista (Mint is fully up and running within 60s).

Or you could use LibreOffice or OpenOffice. The desktop applications and the portable versions work fine.

No doubt Itsallaguess will come up with a fix while I'm waiting for Vista to boot ;)

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 10th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Raptor wrote:
Seems I need to update the registry manually for TLS 1.1 and 1.2 support as I have VISTA and the easy fix is for Windows 7 only.

Ah - no-one's mentioned Vista until now....

Have a read of these links -

This one suggests that Vista can support TLS1.2 - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kausha ... n-windows/

and this one looks to be a good tutorial on how to enable it - https://msfn.org/board/topic/176902-ena ... xplorer-9/

I'd of course recommend making a back-up before taking on the above tutorial, just in case, but it sounds hopeful that we might be able to get you going Raptor.

Let us know how you get on?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 10th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Will give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks IAAG.

Raptor

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”