Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

EXCEL 2007

Discussions regarding financial software
johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

EXCEL 2007

Postby johnstevens77 » October 30th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Is the HYPTUSS compatible with EXCEL 2007 with Windows 7? I managed to add 8 shares but that is all, none of the buttons work.

john

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: EXCEL 2007

Postby Itsallaguess » October 30th, 2018, 6:24 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
Is the HYPTUSS compatible with EXCEL 2007 with Windows 7? I managed to add 8 shares but that is all, none of the buttons work.

It certainly is - I think you've managed to nullify the macro side of things, perhaps when you saved your original changes?

Try downloading a new vanilla copy and see if those buttons work -

http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/5/1/23511186/hyptuss_version_11-55__excel_.zip

If the above file works OK, then make sure you save any changes as a macro-enabled Excel file, and make sure that your security settings are set to allow macros to be used - I like to set it to 'ask first' if that's an option, rather than always allow them...

On the security side of things, when it comes to Office macros, I find keeping things in a 'trusted location' one of the better ways to help manage risks like this -

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-remove-or-change-a-trusted-location-7ee1cdc2-483e-4cbb-bcb3-4e7c67147fb4

Let me know how you get on - happy to help if you've got further issues, but I'm using Excel 2007 myself, so I know it works.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » October 31st, 2018, 6:19 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a go but I am not too sure about macro-enabled, if I can't work it out I shall ask. I I used it in older versions until my
HYP was done but I need to do some tidying up now.

john

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » October 31st, 2018, 10:32 pm

I saved it as a macro enabled file but I still have to use options to enable macros. Is that OK?

When I get to: "Click Browse to find the folder, select a folder, and then click OK", how do I find the folder to select? I don't see any links to the HYPTUSS.

Otherwise, the buttons are working now.

john

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 3rd, 2018, 7:57 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
I saved it as a macro enabled file but I still have to use options to enable macros. Is that OK?

When I get to: "Click Browse to find the folder, select a folder, and then click OK", how do I find the folder to select? I don't see any links to the HYPTUSS.

Otherwise, the buttons are working now.

Hi john,

Apologies for the late reply. I think the option where you get asked to confirm macro execution on opening the file is the safest approach, as there should be no opportunity for things to then run in other spreadsheets that you might prefer not to without specific acceptance from you, so that's fine so long as it's working.

If you'd prefer to run the HYPTUSS from a 'Trusted Location', then the process you're using is correct, but remember that when it's asking you to select a 'folder', what it's actually asking you at that point is to just select a folder that will then *become* a 'Trusted Location', so as an example, you could create a new folder called HYPTUSS-FOLDER on your Desktop, without any files in it initially, and then using the above 'Browse to find folder' process, you'd simply navigate the browse window towards your Desktop and then select the HYPTUSS-FOLDER and then select OK - you're not actually wanting to find the HYPTUSS file at all at this stage, and simply want to identify to Office 2007 that the folder you're selecting in this process will then turn into a 'Trusted Location'.

Once you've done that, you can then carry out the process of putting your copy of HYPTUSS *into* that HYPTUSS-FOLDER on your Desktop, and then when you've done that, and you double-click on the HYPTUSS file from *within* that folder, because you've previously identified that specific folder as being a 'Trusted Location', then Excel is likely not to ask you for specific permissions regarding the running of the required macros, and will just execute them because you've told it to *Trust* the location it's being run from.

To be clear again though, you can keep the process you've got currently if you'd prefer, where Excel just asks you to confirm you want to enable the macro's to be able to be executed - that's fine and really the safest way, so long as it doesn't bother you to do so.

I prefer to use a 'Trusted Location', but I am careful to only put macro-enabled spreadsheets in there that I am 100% certain about, usually because I've written them myself or I know who has and I know what they do, and so long as you're equally as careful, then the 'Trusted Location' process can be helpful in these types of security matters - really just as a safe-as-can-be method of getting rid of macro nag-prompts for specific, and user-identifed, trusted files.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that you've managed to get it going and the buttons now work, and I hope you find the tool useful.

Do have a read of the PDF instructions included in the ZIP download package, as I'm sure there's lots in there that's useful that might perhaps be overlooked by the casual observer only looking for price and yield information alone.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » November 4th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Thank you and appologies for my late reply too. I may just leave it as it is, it never bothered me in older versions.

john

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”