Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Yahoo weirdness

Discussions regarding financial software
spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Yahoo weirdness

Postby spiderbill » April 1st, 2019, 11:51 am

Seeing some odd results this morning in Yahoo and in spreadsheets that use its data.

A lot of the shares in my portfolio list are still showing a timestamp of 5:35PM BST (ie last Friday close) and are showing the price at that time.
e.g. GSK is showing 1,596.80
I can understand that with some shares that are not frequently traded but not in something popular like GSK. At around 9:45 UK time I was seeing half of my portfolio unchanged from Friday.

In some cases HYPTUSS seems to be pulling out an updated figure (GSK 1605.00) but Eventide's Excel plugin is still seeing the old one (1,596.80)

So unless Yahoo is playing an April Fool there seems to be something not quite right, so best don't rely on prices without checking multiple sources. Hopefully it'll sort itself out soon.

cheers

Spiderbill

schober
Lemon Pip

Re: Yahoo weirdness

Postby schober » April 9th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Yahoo price data flakiness
MIDD &S250 have missing decimal points
L250 not been updated for 2 weeeks!

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » June 10th, 2019, 10:34 am

Yahoo data flakey again.
Most shares in my portfolio are showing market timestamps from last Friday and no mini charts. Price data is same as at close on Friday.
Don't rely on anything without checking your broker price first.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » June 10th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Seems to be a lot better now with most timestamps showing around 11.50-ish.
Fingers crossed it stays up to date for the rest of the day.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 10th, 2019, 1:18 pm

spiderbill wrote:
Seeing some odd results this morning in Yahoo and in spreadsheets that use its data.

In case you're not aware, after the previous bout of Yahoo flakiness kiloran devised a back-up price-feed that can be imported into Excel or LibrOffice using a Google Finance price-feed -

Most investment tools and spreadsheets use Yahoo as a source of share price. It's very rapid and can handle hundreds of shares with a single query. Generally, it works very well, but when it has a problem with one or more shares, we tend to get very frustrated.

Data can be obtained from many other web pages, but this tends to be complicated and much slower, since a separate query is needed for each share.

Google can handle multiple shares with a single query, using a Google Docs spreadsheet and the GoogleFinance function, but many/most investors prefer to have the data in a "real" spreadsheet such as Excel or LibreOffice.

Here's a solution which imports and automatically refreshes data from Google Docs to Excel or LibreOffice. Once the data is in Excel or LibreOffice, prices can be extracted to other sheets using VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH functions

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17858

http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/googleprice.html

It might be worth creating a spare worksheet on your spreadsheet and giving the above a go, even as just an alternative to either use if Yahoo is flaky, or to confirm any odd prices that you might have doubts about via your normal price-feeds.

I'm sure any feedback with the above process, if you give it a go, would be gratefully received on the above linked thread.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

schober
Lemon Pip

Postby schober » June 10th, 2019, 2:13 pm

AFAICS the problems are with UK etfs and IT's
Missing rows and decimal points in the wrong place

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » June 11th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:In case you're not aware, after the previous bout of Yahoo flakiness kiloran devised a back-up price-feed that can be imported into Excel or LibrOffice using a Google Finance price-feed -

It might be worth creating a spare worksheet on your spreadsheet and giving the above a go, even as just an alternative to either use if Yahoo is flaky, or to confirm any odd prices that you might have doubts about via your normal price-feeds.

I'm sure any feedback with the above process, if you give it a go, would be gratefully received on the above linked thread.

I'd somehow missed that; thanks for pointing it out. I'll certainly give it a try and report back with anything that comes up.

Much obliged

Spiderbill

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”