Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Sharecast Forward Yield weirdness

Discussions regarding financial software
spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Sharecast Forward Yield weirdness

Postby spiderbill » June 18th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Noticed today when running some of my multiple HYPTUSS sheets (I use separate ones for different watch lists as well as my main one) that the forecast yield was coming in at 0.0% or 0.1% for nearly everything. A few random checks on Sharecast showed that they were displaying similar figures there too.

Hopefully just a glitch but best make sure you save the file before running the Yield macro, and check to see if it's fixed before saving (or closing unsaved) after running it. Doubtless kiloran and Itsallaguess will be keeping an eye out for it the next few days if I know them.

cheers
Spiderbill

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sharecast Forward Yield weirdness

Postby kiloran » June 18th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, spiderbill.

You are correct, though the problems seem to go beyond the Forecast Yield.

Not a lot we can do, unfortunately, apart from hope they get their act together.

--kiloran

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » June 19th, 2019, 10:51 am

Happy to help. Yes, a lot of the other data seems to be missing or very low too.

The strange thing was that it didn't seem to be universal - three of my main portfolio looked ok, including one - Schroders - that they often get wrong the rest of the time!

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » June 20th, 2019, 9:03 am

I'm still using HYPTUSS11.52 and get the same with the forecast yields except for S32 which is showing 9.6% very odd and annoying, hoping they get it sorted soon

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 20th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Still no sign of improvement so I've emailed Sharecast

--kiloran

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » June 21st, 2019, 7:11 am

Also the chart function results in "Error 503 Back end fetch failed"
Guessing this is related

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 21st, 2019, 4:22 pm

TUK020 wrote:
Also the chart function results in "Error 503 Back end fetch failed"

Guessing this is related

Excel or LibreOffice?

Which version?

Which chart parameter setting?

Which share?

Excel v11.68 seems to be working fine out of the box - http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/hyp-top-up.html

I suspect that you might be on an old version, and that your chart issue is unrelated to the OP's discussion....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » June 21st, 2019, 10:10 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Excel or LibreOffice?
Excel
Which version?
"All charts"
Which share?
30 odd usual HYP suspects
Excel v11.68 seems to be working fine out of the box - http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/hyp-top-up.html

I suspect that you might be on an old version, and that your chart issue is unrelated to the OP's discussion....
Problem seemed to start at the same time as the funny forecast yield data
Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 22nd, 2019, 5:30 am

TUK020 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

"All charts"

Can you please tell me which setting is currently being used on the 'Parameter' worksheet - the one marked 'Chart Source'?

TUK020 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Problem seemed to start at the same time as the funny forecast yield data

Can you please download the vanilla Excel v11.68 version linked on the above URL, and report back if the 'All Charts' button works out of the box for you?

I've just tried it again and it works fine using both the MoneyAM and the LiveCharts parameter settings....

I've then added a couple of new shares to the default BP entry, and they both still work fine....

It might be worth building up your own HYP portfolio within that vanilla download, one share at a time, and seeing if it works up to a particular point.

Have any shares that you own had any corporate actions that might explain a ticker-change, or something similar?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » June 22nd, 2019, 7:44 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Can you please download the vanilla Excel v11.68 version linked on the above URL, and report back if the 'All Charts' button works out of the box for you?

I've just tried it again and it works fine using both the MoneyAM and the LiveCharts parameter settings....

I've then added a couple of new shares to the default BP entry, and they both still work fine....

It might be worth building up your own HYP portfolio within that vanilla download, one share at a time, and seeing if it works up to a particular point.

Have any shares that you own had any corporate actions that might explain a ticker-change, or something similar?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Hi IAAG,
I just tried my HYPTUSS sheet again, and it worked fine this morning.....no idea what caused the temporary glitch.
Chart source was MoneyAM
Apologies for the fuss
tuk020

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 22nd, 2019, 8:42 am

TUK020 wrote:
I just tried my HYPTUSS sheet again, and it worked fine this morning.....no idea what caused the temporary glitch.

Chart source was MoneyAM

Apologies for the fuss

Great news - thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 23rd, 2019, 7:51 am

spiderbill wrote:
Noticed today when running some of my multiple HYPTUSS sheets (I use separate ones for different watch lists as well as my main one) that the forecast yield was coming in at 0.0% or 0.1% for nearly everything. A few random checks on Sharecast showed that they were displaying similar figures there too.

It looks like this is still affecting large numbers of HYP shares on the Sharecast website.

Whilst we're waiting for the Forecast Yield data to get fixed at source, a minor temporary modification to the Excel VBA code can be made that will allow the tool to pick up the working 'Latest Yield' figures from the data-source, so if anyone wants to use this temporary solution then here's some instructions -

1. Open the Excel HYPTUSS spreadsheet.

2. Activate the Visual Basic (VBA) 'Design Mode' button, which can be found on the 'Developer' menu tab.

3. When in 'Design Mode', double-click on the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button on the main HYP sheet.

4. You'll be asked for the VBA password at this stage, so enter 'pleaseletmein' into the box and press return. This tool and it's underlying code is open source as far as we're concerned, and the password is only there to protect inexperienced users from breaking the tool....

5. You should then be presented with a VBA window, with the page starting at the code for the yields button.

6. Scroll down until you find this section of code - you're looking for the line that's highlighted in RED -

https://i.imgur.com/bs6bi1M.png

7. Copy the line of VBA above, and paste another entry of it underneath the original line, and then put an apostrophe in front of the original (upper) line, as shown on the image below (the apostrophe will allow us to keep a copy of the original VBA code, but mark it so that it doesn't run when we activate the button) -

https://i.imgur.com/fPAXqjc.png

8. Now that we've got a copy of the original VBA line to go back to when the forecast data starts working again, we can temporarily alter the other copy so that it uses the 'Latest Yield' data instead, so now change the variable being used from 'forecastyield' to 'latestyield', as shown in the highlighted line below -

https://i.imgur.com/BQk8NO6.png

9. If you now exit 'Design Mode' on the Developer tab, and select the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button on the main HYP sheet, you should now find that your HYP portfolio will list 'Latest Yield' figures from the share pages, whilst we're waiting for the 'Forecast Yield' figures to be fixed at source.

10. PLEASE NOTE - please make a copy of your HYPTUSS spreadsheet before carrying out the above temporary fix, just in case anything goes wrong when trying to carry out the above process....

11. For anyone wanting to give the above a go, it is hopefully clear that you can now toggle the specific line with the apostrophe back again, once the valid Forecast Yield data becomes available...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » June 23rd, 2019, 5:21 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
It looks like this is still affecting large numbers of HYP shares on the Sharecast website.

Whilst we're waiting for the Forecast Yield data to get fixed at source, a minor temporary modification to the Excel VBA code can be made that will allow the tool to pick up the working 'Latest Yield' figures from the data-source, so if anyone wants to use this temporary solution then here's some instructions -

1. Open the Excel HYPTUSS spreadsheet.

2. Activate the Visual Basic (VBA) 'Design Mode' button, which can be found on the 'Developer' menu tab.

3. When in 'Design Mode', double-click on the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button on the main HYP sheet.

4. You'll be asked for the VBA password at this stage, so enter 'pleaseletmein' into the box and press return. This tool and it's underlying code is open source as far as we're concerned, and the password is only there to protect inexperienced users from breaking the tool....

5. You should then be presented with a VBA window, with the page starting at the code for the yields button.

6. Scroll down until you find this section of code - you're looking for the line that's highlighted in RED -

https://i.imgur.com/bs6bi1M.png

7. Copy the line of VBA above, and paste another entry of it underneath the original line, and then put an apostrophe in front of the original (upper) line, as shown on the image below (the apostrophe will allow us to keep a copy of the original VBA code, but mark it so that it doesn't run when we activate the button) -

https://i.imgur.com/fPAXqjc.png

8. Now that we've got a copy of the original VBA line to go back to when the forecast data starts working again, we can temporarily alter the other copy so that it uses the 'Latest Yield' data instead, so now change the variable being used from 'forecastyield' to 'latestyield', as shown in the highlighted line below -

https://i.imgur.com/BQk8NO6.png

9. If you now exit 'Design Mode' on the Developer tab, and select the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button on the main HYP sheet, you should now find that your HYP portfolio will list 'Latest Yield' figures from the share pages, whilst we're waiting for the 'Forecast Yield' figures to be fixed at source.

10. PLEASE NOTE - please make a copy of your HYPTUSS spreadsheet before carrying out the above temporary fix, just in case anything goes wrong when trying to carry out the above process....

11. For anyone wanting to give the above a go, it is hopefully clear that you can now toggle the specific line with the apostrophe back again, once the valid Forecast Yield data becomes available...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks for this - I had intended asking what alternative for HYPTUSS was available.

Comments as follows:-

I had to add the Developer tab to the ribbon first (File - Options - Customise Ribbon - tick in box for Developer under Main Tabs) as it wasn't visible in my version of Excel (Office 365 Excel Version 1905). This makes the Developer tab visible for all your spreadsheets, so anyone doing this may want to turn it off again after making these modifications to HYPTUSS.

If you want to use the Watchlist facility, you need to make the corresponding change to the Forecast Yields button on that sheet as well.

When I run the modified version everything works except BHP Billiton, which returns n/a. You need to enter your own value for this. It is possible there may be other missing data for shares I do not hold.

Or just retain a copy of the unmodified HYPTUSS.

Would it be possible to make the ability to select Forecast Yield or Latest Yield a choice in the Parameters sheet? This would then avoid having to amend the VB code if this happens again in the future.
It would also mean that it would be possible to always use Latest Yield if one wanted. I know that TJH only ever uses the Latest yield for his own top-up calculations as he dislikes Forecast Yields.

Thanks again.

Adrian

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 23rd, 2019, 5:35 pm

AJC5001 wrote:

Would it be possible to make the ability to select Forecast Yield or Latest Yield a choice in the Parameters sheet? This would then avoid having to amend the VB code if this happens again in the future.
It would also mean that it would be possible to always use Latest Yield if one wanted. I know that TJH only ever uses the Latest yield for his own top-up calculations as he dislikes Forecast Yields.

Thanks again.

Adrian

Funny you should mention this.... Itsallaguess and I exchanged emails earlier today and that is the agreed plan.

Hopefully have updated versions with this user option in the next day or maybe two

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 25th, 2019, 10:35 am

kiloran wrote:
AJC5001 wrote:

Thanks again.

Adrian

Funny you should mention this.... Itsallaguess and I exchanged emails earlier today and that is the agreed plan.

Hopefully have updated versions with this user option in the next day or maybe two

--kiloran

Updated. See: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18244

--kiloran

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » June 27th, 2019, 11:14 pm

kiloran wrote:Still no sign of improvement so I've emailed Sharecast

--kiloran

As this is still not fixed, will it affect the next Stepone FTSE 350 due on 1st July?

Adrian

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 28th, 2019, 8:51 am

AJC5001 wrote:

--kiloran

As this is still not fixed, will it affect the next Stepone FTSE 350 due on 1st July?

Adrian

Probably :(
I'm away from home at the moment, I'll have a look at it on sunday and see what options we have.

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 28th, 2019, 11:54 am

Let's hope it either corrects, or there's an alternative. I rather miss having forecast yields and one has to get used to a different set of "funnies" using historic yields. e.g. BLT, PSN, TSCO have to be corrected by hand - and maybe others I haven't spotted. Oddly, it suits one share at least - that's CSN, which always returned a blank for forecast, but 6.3% for historic.

It's a typical first world problem, though! My income will apparently drop 5% or more and my little chart of forecast dividends has a step in it. No doubt I will adapt to whatever happens, but would prefer to look at forecasts again.

We owe our spreadsheet geniuses a great deal of gratitude for keeping the show on the road. Thank you all!

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 1st, 2019, 10:52 am

AJC5001 wrote:

--kiloran

Adrian

I've updated the StepOne FTSE350 at http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... se350.html

As expected, all of the forecast data from Sharecast is wrong/corrupted so I've inserted the forecast data from the end-May spreadsheet, on the basis that a forecast one month out-of-date is better than garbage data.

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 2nd, 2019, 6:32 am

Is it just me, or are the forecast yields looking sensible at the moment? I have just checked (at 6:30 am) for forecast yields using b-k and the are not all 0.1% at they were yesterday. Or is it only because I checked well outside trading hours?

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”