Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS - Forecast Dividend Issue

Discussions regarding financial software
Darka
Lemon Slice

HYPTUSS - Forecast Dividend Issue

Postby Darka » January 29th, 2021, 3:39 pm

I've been having issues over the last couple of days where the forecast dividends for a couple of investment trusts are coming back as zero, and as far as I know they haven't been cut.

They are:

North American Income IT (NAIT)
Henderson Far East Income Ltd (HFEL)

Anyone else seeing this?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: HYPTUSS - Forecast Dividend Issue

Postby Itsallaguess » January 29th, 2021, 3:45 pm

Darka wrote:
I've been having issues over the last couple of days where the forecast dividends for a couple of investment trusts are coming back as zero, and as far as I know they haven't been cut.

They are:

Anyone else seeing this?

Since day-one of the HYPTUSS tool, we've tried to make it as easy as possible for people to clearly see the underlying data that the tool is bringing in, as that helps to clear up many of these data-related issues.

As the HYPTUSS user-guide states -

Selecting a ticker in Column C then clicking the 'Open Sharecast Web Page' button will open the Sharecast web page for the selected company in the user’s default browser.

If you do that for both NAIT and HFEL, you'll get to see the following two Sharecast pages -

NAIT - https://www.sharecast.com/equity/North_American_Income_Trust_The-12984

HFEL - https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Henderson_Far_East_Income_Ltd

As you can see from both of the above pages, they are currently showing with a 0% Forecast Yield figure, and so that's the data that the tool will pull in...

The issue here is with the Sharecast data, and not the HYPTUSS tool.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 29th, 2021, 3:47 pm

Thanks itsallaguess,

I should have suspected sharecast, thanks for the reply and the tip on how to check.

My button is labelled "Open DL Site" but I suspect I have an older HYPTUSS version.

regards,
Darka
Last edited by Darka on January 29th, 2021, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 29th, 2021, 3:49 pm

Darka wrote:
Thanks itsallaguess,

I should have suspected sharecast, thanks for the reply and the tip on how to check.

No worries - happy to help - and I'm always glad of an opportunity to plug the HYPTUSS guide itself as well!

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 29th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Darka wrote:

They are:

Anyone else seeing this?

Since day-one of the HYPTUSS tool, we've tried to make it as easy as possible for people to clearly see the underlying data that the tool is bringing in, as that helps to clear up many of these data-related issues.

As the HYPTUSS user-guide states -

Selecting a ticker in Column C then clicking the 'Open Sharecast Web Page' button will open the Sharecast web page for the selected company in the user’s default browser.

If you do that for both NAIT and HFEL, you'll get to see the following two Sharecast pages -

NAIT - https://www.sharecast.com/equity/North_American_Income_Trust_The-12984

HFEL - https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Henderson_Far_East_Income_Ltd

As you can see from both of the above pages, they are currently showing with a 0% Forecast Yield figure, and so that's the data that the tool will pull in...

The issue here is with the Sharecast data, and not the HYPTUSS tool.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

A point of order, m'lud.....

Sharecast never shows a Forecast Yield for Investment Trusts (it actually displays 0%), so HYPTUSS uses Latest Yield, which is currently n/a (HYPTUSS displays this in red)

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 29th, 2021, 4:11 pm

kiloran wrote:
A point of order, m'lud.....

Sharecast never shows a Forecast Yield for Investment Trusts (it actually displays 0%), so HYPTUSS uses Latest Yield, which is currently n/a (HYPTUSS displays this in red)

Good shout - but the overall message of their not being any yield data to display still stands.

Thanks for the clarification!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » January 30th, 2021, 12:57 am

I was going to mention this as well.

I use the Watchlist sheet to get my IT prices and yields, and Edinburgh (EDIN) has been showing as 'n/a' for a couple of weeks. This has been followed by JPMorgan Claverhouse (JCH) and Henderson Far East (HFEL) earlier this week, and joined by Schroder Income & Growth (SCF) today.

As you say, the Sharecast Key Financials shows exactly that - Latest Yield is n/a, as is Cover, Margin and ROCE. So the problem is definitely Sharecast.

My concern is that this problem seems to be growing, and if it continues like this will reduce the usefulness of HYPTUSS. I just hope it doesn't spread to ordinary shares as well. :(

Adrian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 30th, 2021, 9:05 am

AJC5001 wrote:
I was going to mention this as well.

I use the Watchlist sheet to get my IT prices and yields, and Edinburgh (EDIN) has been showing as 'n/a' for a couple of weeks.

This has been followed by JPMorgan Claverhouse (JCH) and Henderson Far East (HFEL) earlier this week, and joined by Schroder Income & Growth (SCF) today.

I've also noticed it for a while on a couple of my own IT holdings.

In the past these minor data-related issues usually fix themselves in fairly short order, but as an alternative short-term solution, I find that using Google search with the phrase 'Trustnet EPIC', where EPIC is the IT epic requiring a yield figure, will usually allow the first returned Google search hit to quickly gain access to an IT's current-yield via the Trustnet site.

By way of example, here's a Google search link using your EDIN example -

https://www.google.com/search?&q=trustnet+edin

Opening the above Google search URL, and then opening the first returned link in a new tab, will quickly take us to this Trustnet page -

https://www.trustnet.com/factsheets/t/eb06/edinburgh-investment-tst-plc

And on that page, we can quickly see that a yield figure of 5.23% is being shown at the bottom of the Trustnet section headed 'Prices' -

https://i.imgur.com/0k03O47.png

Manually entering that yield figure into the HYPTUSS tool for any IT entries currently showing as 'N/A' for their Forecast Yield figures will hopefully provide a relatively swift alternative process whilst we're having to deal with these kinds of sporadic data-related issues.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 30th, 2021, 9:13 am

I have been using aic income builder tool since I added MCT and found that Sharecast does not have this on "their list". I keep a portfolio on there and update HYPTUSS with the results displayed there as they are usually a better presentation of IT yields than Sharecast. This morning sharecast was showing "n/a" against 2 of my Income ITs.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 30th, 2021, 10:26 am

Clicking on the View Dividends button will bring up the dividend data page and I find this near enough for accuracy for run of the mill checking. It does not deal with some ITs such as JETI.

The problem has grown from the start of the year (and includes 31N) but maybe the pendulum will swing back. Anyhow, at the moment I can live with it as it the scrap captures all bar four-five of my ITs.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 30th, 2021, 2:08 pm

If anyone is happy getting their hands dirty with the Excel VBA side of things, and wants to have a play ON A LOCAL COPY of their Excel HYPTUSS tool, then I've knocked up a new sub-routine that will test for 'n/a' yields being returned for IT's from Sharecast, and will then go and pull the appropriate yield data from the AIC site instead -

Snapshot showing where new VBA sub-routine needs to be inserted -

https://i.imgur.com/4TtW9TW.png

The password for the VBA side of things is the same as it's always been from inception of the HYPTUSS tool - 'pleaseletmein'

It's hopefully clear from the above snapshot where the additional Excel VBA code needs inserting, within the code on the 'Get Sharecast Forecast Yields' button, and the code is copied below so that a quick copy/paste can be carried out by anyone wanting to give this a go -

Code: Select all

' ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ' ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10) = "n/a" Then

Dim table_data As Object
                Dim yield_string As String

Let myUrl = "http://www.theaic.co.uk/" & epic

Set html = New HTMLDocument

Set oXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.6.0")

Let yield_string = "n/a"

With oXMLHTTP
                            .Open "GET", myUrl, False
                            .send
                        End With

html.body.innerHTML = oXMLHTTP.responseText

Set table_data = html.getElementsByTagName("tr")

If table_data(0).Children(9).innerText = "Dividend yield (%)" Then
                        yield_string = table_data(1).Children(9).innerText / 100
                End If

Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10) = yield_string

End If

Again though - please only give this a go on a LOCAL COPY of your current Excel HYPTUSS tool, as it should only be classed as a BETA process at this stage, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's been having these IT-yield related issues, and who might be willing to give the above a go and report back on their findings...

If anyone is wanting to give it a go, and perhaps need some further help with the VBA side of things, then please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 30th, 2021, 2:19 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:If anyone is happy getting their hands dirty with the Excel VBA side of things, and wants to have a play ON A LOCAL COPY of their Excel HYPTUSS tool, then I've knocked up a new sub-routine that will test for 'n/a' yields being returned for IT's from Sharecast, and will then go and pull the appropriate yield data from the AIC site instead -

Cheers,
Itsallaguess

Hi Itsallaguess,

Just tried it and it works just fine, thanks for having a go at that - very useful tweak.

Note for anyone else wanting to give it a try, you need to add the code above to the "Sheet1 (High Yield Portfolio)" page under "Microsoft Excel Objects".

Just find the Private Sub CommandButton2_Click() method and add the code just above the oops: label towards the bottom of that method.

regards,
Darka

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 30th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Darka wrote:
Just tried it and it works just fine, thanks for having a go at that - very useful tweak.

Great - thanks for letting me know Darka, and thanks also for the additional guidance on inserting the BETA VBA routine itself.

I've actually just recorded an instruction video on the whole VBA process as well, which can be found below if it might help give people a bit of confidence-

https://vimeo.com/506486663

It really doesn't take long at all, for anyone who used the Excel version and might want to give it a go...

Probably worth noting on the above video, that after activating 'Design Mode' on the 'Developer' tab, then access to the underlying VBA code is by double-clicking on the 'Get Sharecast Forecast Yield' button at that point...

I've asked kiloran to take a look at a BETA version that I've sent him, with a modified version of the vanilla Excel download incorporating this BETA tweak, so hopefully if he's happy with it he might make it available as a BETA download for those still a bit nervous of getting their hands dirty on the VBA side of things...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 30th, 2021, 3:05 pm

I have not had time yet but will work on this tomorrow, I will also look at finding a work around for my missing MCT forecast that returns ???? from sharecast. As an ex-programmer will obviously adapt your code...... :lol:

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 31st, 2021, 9:34 am

ERROR..... With IMB returning n/a there is no AIC entry for this. so for a mixed portfolio this needs to be tweaked a bit to check sector begins "IT" me thinks? will check to make sure it is not an error on my part..

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 31st, 2021, 10:19 am

Changed first line to read

If equitytype Like "IT *" Or equitytypesuper Like "IT *" Then

Seems to work fine only checking for ITs (may need a bit of tidying up to include Kilorans other code he inserted for Sector definitions of ITs). Now looking at why MCT still shows ???? and does not go and get AIC yield. also need to see if I can code up IMB to look at "latest" yield rather than display the "forecast yield" of n/a, which it get from sharecast.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 31st, 2021, 10:37 am

seagles wrote:
Changed first line to read

If equitytype Like "IT *" Or equitytypesuper Like "IT *" Then

Seems to work fine only checking for ITs (may need a bit of tidying up to include Kilorans other code he inserted for Sector definitions of ITs). Now looking at why MCT still shows ???? and does not go and get AIC yield. also need to see if I can code up IMB to look at "latest" yield rather than display the "forecast yield" of n/a, which it get from sharecast.

Thanks for your input seagles - appreciated.

I've taken a slightly different tack, so that it now checks for a 'Page not found' incident on the AIC site, and sticks with an original 'n/a' in those cases, which would hopefully also then cater for any IT-specific look-ups which might not exist on the AIC site either, for whatever reason - so here's my improved VBA section -

If Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10) = "n/a" Then

Dim table_data As Object
                Dim yield_string As String
                Dim page_found As Single

Let myUrl = "http://www.theaic.co.uk/" & epic

Set html = New HTMLDocument

Set oXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.6.0")

Set table_data = Nothing

Let yield_string = "n/a"

With oXMLHTTP
                            .Open "GET", myUrl, False
                            .send
                        End With

html.body.innerHTML = oXMLHTTP.responseText

Set table_data = html.getElementsByTagName("tr")

page_found = InStr(html.body.innerHTML, "Page not found")

If page_found = 0 Then
                    If table_data(0).Children(9).innerText = "Dividend yield (%)" Then
                        yield_string = table_data(1).Children(9).innerText / 100
                    End If
                End If

page_found = 0

Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10) = yield_string

End If

Regarding your question on 'Latest Yield' - I suspect that's how you've got it set on your 'Parameters' sheet?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 31st, 2021, 10:49 am

Have run out of time. Yes IMB was showing n/a as that is what Sharecast has returned for "latest yield", HYPTUSS is not coded to make a decision in this scenario, maybe replace with "forecast yield" or 0%. food for thought.
MCT returns ???? as the gotit is set to 0 and the "oops" catchall puts the ???? in, need to think about that at some point me thinks.

Will test your modified code later.

Thanks to you and Kiloran for all your work. Certinly has made my life a lot easier not having to maintain umpteen excel spreadsheets that have been around for over 15 years. My skills in VBA and Excel design have sadly been eroded over time. Still remember coding in Basic, Assembler, Cobol, REXX, XML, HTML and even assembler/370 ( a very unique coding using HEX and modules). Plus a lot more different flavours many of which were unique to the companies I worked at..........

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 31st, 2021, 2:01 pm

Tested latest "code" works as expected. Parameter list set to "latest yield" IMB shows correctly, MCT still shows ????, again as per code this is correct.

Suggestion for "future" upgrade that if sharecast returns n/a in latest yield that you check and use forecast yield and change colour to black (and visa-versa)? Also as sharecast has been seen to give "flaky" results for IT's to cut away from them and just use AIC for your source or something more reliable, Trustnet, Morningstar.....

Keep up the good work.

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » February 1st, 2021, 10:59 am

Great fix Guys, many thanks.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”