Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS update

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

HYPTUSS update

Postby kiloran » February 22nd, 2021, 12:40 pm

We have been seeing problems with yield data from Sharecast, as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27575

Emails to Sharecast have not been responded to, and until recently, their Facebook and Twitter pages were last updated in Sept 2020. The site seems to be a bit of a Mary Celeste, and its viability as a reliable source of data is perhaps questionable. When last checked a couple of weeks ago, around 50 companies from the FTSE350 had latest yield = n/a on Sharecast

Itsallaguess put forward a potential solution here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27575#p382232
This uses the AIC website as an alternative source for yield data if the Sharecast yield is n/a
Test versions with this modification (Excel 11.75-dev2 and LibreOffice b-p-dev1) have been uploaded to the HYPTUSS test site http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... _page.html for you to play around with. They have not been tested in great detail and the documentation has not been updated

A few thoughts:
The initial reported problem was with Investment Trusts, so the AIC site seems a reasonable alternative. However, Seagles reported a problem with IMB, and I've found other non-ITs with similar problems. The AIC site does not provide data for non-IT.
Also, the AIC site does not have PE or Dividend Cover data. Would it be preferable to use a different source such as https://uk.advfn.com/p.php?pid=financia ... ol=L%5EIMB which does provide yield, PE and Cover (though I see that even this does not have yield data for MCT which will displease Seagles)

If we do decide to use an alternative source, it will probably be a user-selectable option on the Parameters sheet

Sharecast is useful since it has Forecast Yields for most companies (but not ITs). I've looked high and low but cannot find any other financial website which provides forecast data. Any suggestions?

We'll leave this open for discussion before Itsallaguess and I implement a permanent solution

--kiloran

seagles
Lemon Slice

Re: HYPTUSS update

Postby seagles » February 22nd, 2021, 1:31 pm

kiloran wrote: PE and Cover (though I see that even this does not have yield data for MCT which will displease Seagles

--kiloran

If that is the only "problem" IT then I would be ok with it as have been used to "manually" inputting it since I purchased. I have still not given up on the idea of doing some VBA to use AIC for all my ITs but have not had the time recently.

I have had no response from Webfg, aka sharecast, on why thier page for MCT has the wrong TIDM? But why am I not surprised.... :evil:

Keep up the good work, you both have saved me considerable amount of work on Excel spreadsheets.
Last edited by seagles on February 22nd, 2021, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » February 22nd, 2021, 1:36 pm

ADFVN also does not have JETI yield? so maybe there is a "lack" of data there as well?

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » February 22nd, 2021, 1:59 pm

I think Yahoo finance does offer forward yields - but you have to hunt for it.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 22nd, 2021, 3:08 pm

absolutezero wrote:I think Yahoo finance does offer forward yields - but you have to hunt for it.

Sadly not. The Yahoo API has forward PE and forward eps

For example, https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/fin ... bols=AZN.L

But I've found that the API is often incompletely populated, especially for non-US shares. I don't tend to use it except for price.

--kiloran

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » February 22nd, 2021, 5:55 pm

If you are thinking about an update I would like to make a suggestion. It’s always seemed to me to be slightly innocuous to fetch yield slowly from one site and prices quickly from another because people will tend to update prices more frequently than yields. The price is available from the site with yield so it’s possible to convert the yield to the dividend and store that on the spreadsheet. Then when or if yahoo prices are grabbed quickly, the yield can be recalculated from the new price £ dividend. Just spitballing here...

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » February 22nd, 2021, 8:02 pm

uspaul666 wrote:Just spitballing here...

:shock:

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » February 23rd, 2021, 11:47 am

I'm having to manually enter in the yields from Dividend Data now as the ones from sharecast seem to be wrong (too high) and I don't trust them anymore sadly.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 24th, 2021, 6:35 am

Darka wrote:
I'm having to manually enter in the yields from Dividend Data now as the ones from Sharecast seem to be wrong (too high) and I don't trust them any more sadly.

The sad fact is that it's becoming progressively more difficult to maintain sources of reliable and retrievable data for the HYPTUSS tool, and I firmly believe that we've now moved into a phase where it's a case of trying to minimise any issues rather than hope we can solve them all completely...

Hey - we had a good run though, didn't we?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » February 24th, 2021, 7:16 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Hey - we had a good run though, didn't we?

Cheers,
Itsallaguess

Indeed and it's still a fantastic resource so I'm still using it, thank you to everyone involved in creating/maintaining such a useful spreadsheet.

It saves me a lot of time, it's just a shame that finding reliable data is such hard work and I hope the pricing information is correct, although I haven't checked that to be honest... not sure I want to find out :)

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”