Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS dividend suggestion

Discussions regarding financial software
spiderbill
Lemon Slice

HYPTUSS dividend suggestion

Postby spiderbill » August 6th, 2021, 1:27 pm

Hi kiloran and installaguess

Just wanted to float an idea for the Dividends section. I don't know enough about the programming capabilities available in Libre Office (or indeed Excel) to know if this is possible but it seems worth asking.

The suggestion relates to the Update Dividends facility and is to have a check on the dates currently showing in the ex-dividend date and payable date columns where if the date being written in is older than the existing one that the update doesn't take place for that share for eithe the dates or the amount.

The reason for this is that some of the data sources have gaps in their data for certain shares - for instance SDRC Shroders non-voting, and PAF Pan African Resources - and in addition are often slow to update their data. As a result if you happen to update the sheet manually (users here often pounce on divi announcements very quickly) you often find that it is overwritten the next time you run the Update Dividends. (The same thing can happen if you change the data source for some reason.)

I currently get round this by adding additional columns - one to duplicate the payable date and one to duplicate the amount, but it would be nice to be able to protect newer information automatically.

Thaks as always for your continued work on this invaluable tool.

cheers
Spiderbill

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUSS dividend suggestion

Postby kiloran » August 6th, 2021, 2:49 pm

spiderbill wrote:Hi kiloran and installaguess

Just wanted to float an idea for the Dividends section. I don't know enough about the programming capabilities available in Libre Office (or indeed Excel) to know if this is possible but it seems worth asking.

The suggestion relates to the Update Dividends facility and is to have a check on the dates currently showing in the ex-dividend date and payable date columns where if the date being written in is older than the existing one that the update doesn't take place for that share for eithe the dates or the amount.

The reason for this is that some of the data sources have gaps in their data for certain shares - for instance SDRC Shroders non-voting, and PAF Pan African Resources - and in addition are often slow to update their data. As a result if you happen to update the sheet manually (users here often pounce on divi announcements very quickly) you often find that it is overwritten the next time you run the Update Dividends. (The same thing can happen if you change the data source for some reason.)

I currently get round this by adding additional columns - one to duplicate the payable date and one to duplicate the amount, but it would be nice to be able to protect newer information automatically.

Thaks as always for your continued work on this invaluable tool.

cheers
Spiderbill

I'll need to have a good ponder over this, Spiderbill. My initial thought is that it is not a simple change since the dividend data is completely erased then rewritten so it would need a process to record existing data and then re-use it if necessary. And also consider how it might work with the different data sources , each with their own quirks and foibles

I'll add your request to the to-do list, but it won't be on the next release. I'm fighting to get a new release out with enhancements and bug fixes and I seem to be forever chasing my tail so I don't want to add anything new to the mix right now. I'm just doing some final checks (and finding new bugs!) and updating the User Guide, so hopefully I can release it over the next few days.

--kiloran

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Re: HYPTUSS dividend suggestion

Postby spiderbill » August 6th, 2021, 8:45 pm

kiloran wrote:I'll need to have a good ponder over this, Spiderbill. My initial thought is that it is not a simple change since the dividend data is completely erased then rewritten so it would need a process to record existing data and then re-use it if necessary. And also consider how it might work with the different data sources , each with their own quirks and foibles

I'll add your request to the to-do list, but it won't be on the next release. I'm fighting to get a new release out with enhancements and bug fixes and I seem to be forever chasing my tail so I don't want to add anything new to the mix right now. I'm just doing some final checks (and finding new bugs!) and updating the User Guide, so hopefully I can release it over the next few days.

--kiloran

Entirely understand if it turns out to be too awkward to achieve - certainly don't expect a complete re-write for a relatively minor matter. I'm all too aware that sometime what sounds easy can be extremely difficult depending on the way it's coded, the capabilities of the programming environment, and the quirks of the source data. Just an idea I thought worth mentioning.

Good luck with the debugging; not to mention the documentation, which is always harder than anyone thinks it is!

cheers
Spiderbill

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”