Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Yahoo price scrape has failed

Discussions regarding financial software
Fremantle

Re: Yahoo price scrape has failed

Postby Fremantle » July 13th, 2023, 8:24 am

Yahoo price scrapping using the latest tool is down again this morning

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 13th, 2023, 8:43 am

Fremantle wrote:Yahoo price scrapping using the latest tool is down again this morning

Yes, looks like the Yahoo v10 API is not returning data :(

--kiloran

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » July 13th, 2023, 3:38 pm

Oh dear, it looks like I might have to invest in Office 365 so I can access the STOCKS function.

Maybe Yahoo just don't want us to do what we do.

FD

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » July 13th, 2023, 3:47 pm

kiloran wrote:Yes, looks like the Yahoo v10 API is not returning data :(
--kiloran

A temporary workaround for Firefox users. There is an extension called Table2Clipboard.
With that installed, click into the price column in your Yahoo portfolio page (having made sure it's arranged in the same order as your HYPTUSS or indeed any other spreadsheet you may have).
Right-click, and in Table2Clipboard choose "select column".
Copy
Paste into either a blank spreadsheet or a text file
Remove the "Last Price" column header
Copy and past the remaining entries into your HYPTUSS or similar

Not sure if there's a Chrome equivalent extension - I'll have a look and see what I can find.

cheers
Spiderbill

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » July 13th, 2023, 3:54 pm

Follow-up
There appears to be a Chrome extension called Table Capture which looks as if it may do a similar job.

cheers
Spiderbill

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » July 14th, 2023, 8:20 am

kiloran wrote:
Fremantle wrote:Yahoo price scrapping using the latest tool is down again this morning

Yes, looks like the Yahoo v10 API is not returning data :(

--kiloran

This seems to offer possibilities, although it comes back with html rather than JSON:
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quotes/AAL ... .L/view/v1

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 14th, 2023, 11:07 am

uspaul666 wrote:

--kiloran

This seems to offer possibilities, although it comes back with html rather than JSON:
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quotes/AAL ... .L/view/v1

I wasn't aware of that Yahoo page and it does look interesting, and perhaps better than the solution I am investigating. I'll need to check how many share symbols it can handle

Many thanks,
--kiloran

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » July 14th, 2023, 1:37 pm

--kiloran

The Stepone FTSE350 spreadsheet has an alternative of getting data from LSE. Is this an alternative for HYPTUSS as well?

Adrian

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 14th, 2023, 1:41 pm

AJC5001 wrote:

--kiloran

The Stepone FTSE350 spreadsheet has an alternative of getting data from LSE. Is this an alternative for HYPTUSS as well?

Adrian

LondonSouthEast is OK for the FTSE350 but not for other shares unfortunately. I'm close to implementing a solution using https://shareprices.com/lse/blnd/ but still more development to go

--kiloran

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » July 14th, 2023, 4:27 pm

Symbol
Last price Change Chg % Open Shares Market value Total chg. Total chg. % Day chg. Market time
SSE.L
1,799.50 +13.50 +0.76% 1,785.50 370 1,799.50 +1,799.50 +1,799.50 +1,799.50 4:06PM BST

Above is from my Yahoo portfolio, looks like theire underlying software has some problems. I had a similar problem with HLN but that seems to have resolved itself. Hope you find an acceptable solution that does not involve Yahoo in the future. Good hunting.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 17th, 2023, 12:32 pm

With HYPTUSS not working I've been trying out the Stocks function on excel. It won't work in the HYPTUSS sheet/file so I've had to set up a new file.

Some questions:

Some companies prices are coming back in pounds rather than pence (VWRL, EMDV) dollars (IHG, IAPD) euros (IDVY). The £ instead of pence I can work around the dollar and euros is a bit more of a pain, but I can work around it if necessary but does anyone know if there is a way to get the quotes in pence the same as the rest? All are XLON quotes.

I have two pref shares, LLPC and AV.B and I (excel) does anyone know how to find them?

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 17th, 2023, 12:37 pm

daveh wrote:With HYPTUSS not working I've been trying out the Stocks function on excel. It won't work in the HYPTUSS sheet/file so I've had to set up a new file.

Some questions:

Some companies prices are coming back in pounds rather than pence (VWRL, EMDV) dollars (IHG, IAPD) euros (IDVY). The £ instead of pence I can work around the dollar and euros is a bit more of a pain, but I can work around it if necessary but does anyone know if there is a way to get the quotes in pence the same as the rest? All are XLON quotes.

I have two pref shares, LLPC and AV.B and I (excel) does anyone know how to find them?

Actually excel was telling porkies as IHG was actually in pence not dollars. I'll have to double check the others now.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 17th, 2023, 12:39 pm

daveh wrote:
daveh wrote:With HYPTUSS not working I've been trying out the Stocks function on excel. It won't work in the HYPTUSS sheet/file so I've had to set up a new file.

Some questions:

Actually excel was telling porkies as IHG was actually in pence not dollars. I'll have to double check the others now.

I think IDVY is also quoted in pence. Pity, I've been looking for a share quoted in euros to test out the new HYPTUSS

edit.... I'm not familiar with the Excel Stocks function, but do you have to tell it to get prices on the LSE? IHG is quoted in New York in dollars, but pence on the LSE. I suspect the stocks function defaults to the US

--kiloran

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » July 17th, 2023, 1:16 pm

kiloran wrote:
...., but do you have to tell it to get prices on the LSE? IHG is quoted in New York in dollars, but pence on the LSE. I suspect the stocks function defaults to the US

--kiloran

Yes you do. XLON:IHG

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 17th, 2023, 3:43 pm

kiloran wrote:
daveh wrote:

I think IDVY is also quoted in pence. Pity, I've been looking for a share quoted in euros to test out the new HYPTUSS

edit.... I'm not familiar with the Excel Stocks function, but do you have to tell it to get prices on the LSE? IHG is quoted in New York in dollars, but pence on the LSE. I suspect the stocks function defaults to the US

--kiloran

neither was I. Yes you have to tell it where you want the quote from. It does sometimes default to a US share with the same ticker so I generally told it XLON. It turns out that sometimes it was telling porkies. The IHG quote was actually p. S32 was Australian dollars not US dollars and I got the wrong version of IAPD as it looks like you can get it quoted in euro cents, pence and US cents (I haven't tried the last one yet)

So IAPD in euros was XMIL:IAPD in pence it was XLON:IAPD and S32 defaulted to the australian exchange, but I've now found it in pence. Still not found LLPC or AV.B. but I'll have a better look when i have time.
BA. kept defaulting to Boeing, but I found it eventually.

So what I've done is made a list of my HyPTUSS shares in a separate file and I'm copying over the prices to HYPTUSS as needed. seems to work, I just need to correct the couple of quotes that are in £s instead of pence as I think i've found all the correct LSE prices now

Femi

Postby Femi » July 17th, 2023, 4:52 pm

daveh wrote:

No idea how to do this with the Excel stock function - I don't think it supports them.

However!!!!

If you go to the FT Funds sheet on the HYPTUSS spreadsheet and put the ISIN code in the symbol column then press update prices it will obtain the price correctly for you

ISIN code for LLPC is GB00B3KS9W93

Incidentally - this will work for ANY ISIN code - so you could use it for a list of shares too

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”