Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Updated Excel HYPTUSS available for test

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Updated Excel HYPTUSS available for test

Postby kiloran » July 31st, 2023, 10:19 am

jeff50 wrote:Hi Kiloran,
Thank you once again for your sterling work and support to the Hyptuss community in sustaining and maintaining a valuable asset to many.
I have downloaded the updated v11-85 dev11 version and have a query.
I HOLD Melrose and from a demerger now hold shares in Dowlais (DWL).
When I run the the price update it fails to give a price for Dowlais. It did give a price under the Yahoo price update when that was operating under the V84 version.
I have rechecked the Company data entry (/equity/Dowlais_Group Dowlais Group DWL Engineering DWL) and that appears to be ok. Any thoughts?
Regards
Jeff

That's odd, it works OK for me.
DWL was not in the Company Data Sheet but I've updated it at: https://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weeb ... op-up.html
You might try importing this new version and trying again, though if your version worked with v11.84, it's probably OK

And use the production version of 11.85 announced earlier viewtopic.php?p=605810#p605810

--kiloran

jeff50

Postby jeff50 » August 2nd, 2023, 9:47 pm

Hi Kiloran,
Thank you, I imported the new version with your company data addition and that has worked fine for DWL.
Is there a guide somewhere of how I can add other companies to the Company Data Sheet myself. I have done it in the past by using the data from the Sharecast web page, manually adding this to the company data page and it worked fine. I am assuming this has been modified so needs a different entry process.
Regards
Jeff

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 2nd, 2023, 9:53 pm

jeff50 wrote:Hi Kiloran,
Thank you, I imported the new version with your company data addition and that has worked fine for DWL.
Is there a guide somewhere of how I can add other companies to the Company Data Sheet myself. I have done it in the past by using the data from the Sharecast web page, manually adding this to the company data page and it worked fine. I am assuming this has been modified so needs a different entry process.
Regards
Jeff

User Guide, page 17

--kiloran

jeff50

Postby jeff50 » August 3rd, 2023, 2:30 pm

Kiloran,
Thank you.
Regards
Jeff

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 3rd, 2023, 5:19 pm

Kiloran,
I would like to express my thanks and appreciation for all yo are doing here.
So, please forgive me if this question is pushing my luck!
I recall that the yield scrape is slower than the price scrap, because the data source for yeilds tended to get upset/treated it as a DOS attack, if it got too many fast consecutive queries. Could this be accelerated with the new data source? Or is the new data source just for price scrape?
tuk020

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 3rd, 2023, 7:40 pm

TUK020 wrote:Kiloran,
I recall that the yield scrape is slower than the price scrap, because the data source for yeilds tended to get upset/treated it as a DOS attack, if it got too many fast consecutive queries. Could this be accelerated with the new data source? Or is the new data source just for price scrape?
tuk020

Hi TUK020.
The main data elements of HYPTUSS are price, yield, dividends and charts. Each data source is chosen based on:
  • Speed
  • Ease of access
  • Ease of extracting data
  • No need to log-on
Ease of access is often the most difficult. For example, dividends can be seen at:
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... /dividends
or
https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... chTerm=ADM
to give just two examples. The latter is better because the URL contains the EPIC code, wherease the former URL would require some form of look-up by storing the URL in the company data sheet which then requires much more maintenance and complexity. The downside in this case is that the latter site gets upset if too many requests are made too quickly and locks the user out.
We now use SharePrice to get Price data since it is simple and quick, but it doesn't provide Yield or Dividend information.
It's all very much a compromise, and unfortunately the number of websites which meet our requirements is reducing

Hope this helps

--kiloran

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 3rd, 2023, 8:31 pm

kiloran wrote:
TUK020 wrote:Kiloran,
tuk020

Hi TUK020.
The main data elements of HYPTUSS are price, yield, dividends and charts. Each data source is chosen based on:
  • Speed
  • Ease of access
  • Ease of extracting data
  • No need to log-on
Ease of access is often the most difficult. For example, dividends can be seen at:
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... /dividends
or
https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... chTerm=ADM
to give just two examples. The latter is better because the URL contains the EPIC code, wherease the former URL would require some form of look-up by storing the URL in the company data sheet which then requires much more maintenance and complexity. The downside in this case is that the latter site gets upset if too many requests are made too quickly and locks the user out.
We now use SharePrice to get Price data since it is simple and quick, but it doesn't provide Yield or Dividend information.
It's all very much a compromise, and unfortunately the number of websites which meet our requirements is reducing

Hope this helps

--kiloran

Kiloran,
I suspected the answer was someting along these lines, but thank ou anyway
tuk

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 3rd, 2023, 10:55 pm

I'm not sure if it's a one off, but some of today's prices as reported by the HYPTUSS (from shareprices.com) seem wrong.

As an example, the LSE website has the closing price for LWI as 115.25p whereas shareprices.com have it as 114.5p. This was in fact the opening price, and if one looks at the relevent page on shareprices.com, the headline price is given as 114.5p but the data section below the headline figure and chart gives the last close as 115.25p

CTUK also has a pricing error (282.0p instead of 285.5p) but in this case, the incorrect figure doesn't seem to relate to the previous opening price.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 12th, 2023, 7:52 am

Using v85dev6(2) I've become aware of something odd - my total expected dividends haven't change since June. Not by a penny.

I've checked a few randomly chosen prices this morning (well, only three so far) and they agree with HL. I've also checked the total expected dividends by summing up the column, and it agrees with the total reported on the tracking page of HYPTUSS.

Vanishingly unlikely, but why?

Interestingly, I notice my HYPTUSS on which I run my ITs has been varying the total expected dividend. I'm running the same version for ITs as for the HYP.

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 12th, 2023, 10:29 am

Arborbridge wrote:Using v85dev6(2) I've become aware of something odd - my total expected dividends haven't change since June. Not by a penny.

I've checked a few randomly chosen prices this morning (well, only three so far) and they agree with HL. I've also checked the total expected dividends by summing up the column, and it agrees with the total reported on the tracking page of HYPTUSS.

Interestingly, I notice my HYPTUSS on which I run my ITs has been varying the total expected dividend. I'm running the same version for ITs as for the HYP.

Arb.

Hi Arb. First of all, note that v11-85dev6 was just a development version released for test, and was superceded by further development versions and then the final production version. I strongly recommend that you only use the production version for your portfolio. I haven't checked v11-85dev6 since there may have been a problem which has subsequently been fixed.

I've checked the production v11-85 and don't see any problems. The price is being updated in Col E, the total value in Col G is correctly computed from the price and number of shares, The forecast/latest yield is being updated in Col J, and the expected dividend in Col P is correctly calculated as total value multiplied by the yield.

Can you please try v11-85 and give some real data if you still see a problem?

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 12th, 2023, 3:38 pm

kiloran wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Using v85dev6(2) I've become aware of something odd - my total expected dividends haven't change since June. Not by a penny.

Arb.

Hi Arb. First of all, note that v11-85dev6 was just a development version released for test, and was superceded by further development versions and then the final production version. I strongly recommend that you only use the production version for your portfolio. I haven't checked v11-85dev6 since there may have been a problem which has subsequently been fixed.

I've checked the production v11-85 and don't see any problems. The price is being updated in Col E, the total value in Col G is correctly computed from the price and number of shares, The forecast/latest yield is being updated in Col J, and the expected dividend in Col P is correctly calculated as total value multiplied by the yield.

--kiloran

Will do - last time I looked, there was only the dev6(2), not the v11-85 so I carried on using it.

I shall download the proper version next time.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 12th, 2023, 3:52 pm

kiloran wrote:

Arb.

--kiloran

Well, I've run the v11-85 and my forecast dividend total comes out exactly the same as when I ran the dev6(2) this morning.
So maybe - incredibly - my forecast total total really hasn't changed since June. I still find that hard to believe.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » August 12th, 2023, 6:11 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
kiloran wrote:Hi Arb. First of all, note that v11-85dev6 was just a development version released for test, and was superceded by further development versions and then the final production version. I strongly recommend that you only use the production version for your portfolio. I haven't checked v11-85dev6 since there may have been a problem which has subsequently been fixed.

--kiloran

Well, I've run the v11-85 and my forecast dividend total comes out exactly the same as when I ran the dev6(2) this morning.
So maybe - incredibly - my forecast total total really hasn't changed since June. I still find that hard to believe.

Try changing number of shares on entry too see if it is different?

Blagdon
Lemon Pip

Postby Blagdon » August 17th, 2023, 5:39 pm

I can't get Land Securities yield to update - anyone else finding the same thing?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 17th, 2023, 5:46 pm

Blagdon wrote:
I can't get Land Securities yield to update - anyone else finding the same thing?

The Sharecast page for LAND has no yield data available, unfortunately, so this issue is with the data-source.

These problems crop up every now and again, and often fix themselves over a short period of time.

In the meantime, as a work-around and to help provide a useful yield figure to copy into the relevant HYPTUSS yield-cell, I would suggest looking at the Yahoo Finance page and taking the yield figure from there for now -

Current 'Forward Yield' is showing on Yahoo as around 6.24% -

Source - https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/LAND.L/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 26th, 2023, 12:03 pm

My forecast dividends have remained the same since June, to the penny. I'm using the latest version, v11-85, downloaded fresh this morning. I have neither bought nor sold shares in that time

This just does not seem credible - has anyone else had this?
The prices seem to be varying in a sensible way.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 26th, 2023, 1:11 pm

Arborbridge wrote:My forecast dividends have remained the same since June, to the penny. I'm using the latest version, v11-85, downloaded fresh this morning. I have neither bought nor sold shares in that time

Arb.

A possible conclusion is the dividend is unchanged because the source value is unchanged. Have you tried

from the User Guide
"The tool extracts data from various sources...... ADVFN, Dividend Data or Sharecast, which can be
selected on the Parameters sheet"

There has been some discussion on which source to use, I believe on TLF. I personally populate my own spreadsheets and don't run forecasts via HYPTUSS.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 26th, 2023, 1:12 pm

Arborbridge wrote:My forecast dividends have remained the same since June, to the penny. I'm using the latest version, v11-85, downloaded fresh this morning. I have neither bought nor sold shares in that time

Arb.

I don't understand this, Arb, and without some real numbers it's hard to investigate. When prices are updated in Col E, is the value being correctly calculated in Col G?
When the Forecast Yields are updated, is the Expected Dividend in Col P being correctly updated as Col G multiplied by Col J?
Is the total Forecast Dividend in Cell P4 correctly calculated?

And is your Excel Calculate option set to Automatic or Manual?

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 26th, 2023, 3:15 pm

kiloran wrote:I don't understand this, Arb, and without some real numbers it's hard to investigate. When prices are updated in Col E, is the value being correctly calculated in Col G?
When the Forecast Yields are updated, is the Expected Dividend in Col P being correctly updated as Col G multiplied by Col J?

--kiloran

The answer to most of the above is "yes" - although to check that it always is correct when prices are dynamically changing for real will have to wait until next week. All the prices and total capital have changed since June, the dividends are correct according to the yield, the yield is correct judging by (dividends expected/capital), the total of all the dividends adds up to P4. Yet the total hasn't varied.

The only one I can't answer is about Excel Calculate, Auto or Manual: what is this? I cannot find this function.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 26th, 2023, 5:52 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
kiloran wrote:I don't understand this, Arb, and without some real numbers it's hard to investigate. When prices are updated in Col E, is the value being correctly calculated in Col G?

--kiloran

The answer to most of the above is "yes" - although to check that it always is correct when prices are dynamically changing for real will have to wait until next week. All the prices and total capital have changed since June, the dividends are correct according to the yield, the yield is correct judging by (dividends expected/capital), the total of all the dividends adds up to P4. Yet the total hasn't varied.

The only one I can't answer is about Excel Calculate, Auto or Manual: what is this? I cannot find this function.

Arb.

In my version of Excel (2010), the option can be found under "File"..."Options"...."Formulas".

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”