Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Gaier software

Discussions regarding financial software
granretire
2 Lemon pips

Gaier software

Postby granretire » August 6th, 2023, 9:04 am

The updating of shares in Money no long works. This is from his website.
6/25/2023: I have found out that Microsoft has decommissioned the quote services that power MSMoneyQuotes and the Excel Add-In. They are currently on life support and may completely stop working any day. While some quotes continue to work, many people have noticed things like ETFs are no longer working. They have switched their MSN Money Windows 10/11 app to a new quotes service which uses a totally different format, so it no longer uses the quote services my tools are using. While I'm not a Microsoft employee, I've heard that this area of the company is receiving little attention and there is no team currently truly owning and support the previous quote services. I will begin investigation into if its possible to use the new quote services. But as I said, they use a totally different format. They're no longer using the "Financial Instrument" identifiers that my tools currently use. This will mean a ton of work for me to switch over to the new services. And if I am successful at switching over to the new quote services, it would also mean customers may have some work to do to transition to the new format.

Any suggestions as to automatically updating holdings in Money

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Gaier software

Postby pochisoldi » August 6th, 2023, 5:09 pm

I've had a homebrew solution for Money 2002 for around 10 years. In its current guise it generates an OFX file for manual upload every Saturday which updates with the closing prices on Friday.
Never managed to get stock market indices to work.

Note that the built in share price downloads for Money 2002 used a proprietary protocol between the Money client and Microsoft's servers.

The OFX solution relies on doing a "position update" on a watchlist account.

My starting point was hleOFXprices with too many intermediate steps, and at the moment I've got the process automated as far as having to click to upload the latest file every Saturday.

Sixtyone

Postby Sixtyone » August 6th, 2023, 7:42 pm

Gaier has an option to use prices from FT.com, just create a portfolio at FT.com, download as a csv file and Gaier will update the msmoney file. Not quite as streamlined but still easy to do. Although I have an issue with managed funds where it shows n/a rather than the share prices. Equities and ETFs update ok.

Alternatively down load msmquote, this uses Yahoo to get prices.

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » August 10th, 2023, 11:00 am

Alternatively down load msmquote, this uses Yahoo to get prices.

Please could you let me know how to use this

Sixtyone

Postby Sixtyone » August 10th, 2023, 12:03 pm

Here’s the link to msmquote:
https://github.com/36bits/msmquote/wiki

The author of MSMoneyQuotes has stated on his website https://gaiersoftware.com/Money that he is working on a fix, but looks like it could take some time.

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » August 18th, 2023, 11:06 am

Update on Gaier progress:
August 15, 2023

I have a working version of the Excel Add-In that I'm testing now. The new quote service is completely different and uses a different ID to lookup quotes. Some fields are not easily available like EPS, Beta and Dividend Yield. It's using something that seems to be called the "Instrument ID" instead of the old "Financial Instrument". The Instrument ID appears to be a Microsoft generated ID, while the Financial Instrument is from Morningstar.
I have re-written my Financial Instrument Search Page to use the new auto-complete quote service that returns the Instrument ID.
This Instrument ID also shows up in URLs. For example, Microsoft's Instrument ID is a1xzim, and the MSN Money URL is https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/stockdetails/fi-a1xzim
Going forward, both MSMoneyQuotes and Excel Quotes Add-In will need to use Instrument IDs instead of Financial Instruments. This will require customers to update all places that reference a Financial Instrument to the corresponding Instrument ID (e.g. SymbolMap, or in Excel).
Once I complete testing, update all the documentation, etc, I'll release a new version of the Excel Quotes Add-In. And at that point, I'll turn my attention to working on updating MSMoneyQuotes.

TurboukToo2

Postby TurboukToo2 » September 18th, 2023, 8:30 am

MSMoneyQuotes Version 3.0 now released and working...

https://www.gaiersoftware.com/Home/Message

NB: I (incorrectly) read it that I had to change my tickers in MS Money via the provided mapping tool (eg . VWRL becomes aofacw) but turns out you don't if you populate the ticker field directly in MS Money on the Investment Details page VWRL will work as before.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » September 18th, 2023, 11:15 am

I'm currently using Libreoffice and scraping data from financial sites for my portfolio tracker but the Gaier excel quotes add in looks interesting. Anyone know how reliable/stable it is? If it was consistent I'd be tempted to get an Excel licence.

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » November 15th, 2023, 9:37 am

MSMoneyQuotes Version 3.0 now released and working...

https://www.gaiersoftware.com/Home/Message

NB: I (incorrectly) read it that I had to change my tickers in MS Money via the provided mapping tool (eg . VWRL becomes aofacw) but turns out you don't if you populate the ticker field directly in MS Money on the Investment Details page VWRL will work as before.

I am using it but with very limited success. I have updated the "SymbolMap.csv" with the new tickers. But some quotes don't update and others are wrong.

Sixtyone

Postby Sixtyone » November 15th, 2023, 12:59 pm

ivahunch can you provide some examples of the issues ?

Gaier uses the MSN Money site to get prices, so if your share isn't listed you would need to use the FT function or manually update.
If it downloads the wrong valuations it's likely to be a Ticker or currency issue.

For what it's worth I think the software is brilliant, I paid $9.99 years ago, any other software provider would have made you pay for an update.

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » November 15th, 2023, 5:42 pm

The following have been "Resolved using SymbolMap.csv" but do not appear under "Fetching Quotes"

AGT, CTY, MRC,PNL,SMT, TEM, TFIF, VWRL

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 15th, 2023, 5:48 pm

Sixtyone wrote:ivahunch can you provide some examples of the issues ?

Gaier uses the MSN Money site to get prices, so if your share isn't listed you would need to use the FT function or manually update.
If it downloads the wrong valuations it's likely to be a Ticker or currency issue.

For what it's worth I think the software is brilliant, I paid $9.99 years ago, any other software provider would have made you pay for an update.

I am also not seeing problems since the latest update. and I think your diagnosis is correct. Dan Gaier does stress that

If a symbol doesn't "work" on MSN Money, then it won't work in my program. I cannot fix issues on MSN Money. I am not a Microsoft employee...If you cannot find the security you're looking for using MSN Money's "Quote Search" auto-complete input box, then it won't work in my program

Those quotes are from https://www.gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

I have voluntarily paid some more on upgrades, just to keep the guy interested.

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » November 15th, 2023, 5:49 pm

Have you noticed that the FT function now reports the prices in pence instead of GBP. So unfortunately the values at X100 too high!

Sixtyone

Postby Sixtyone » November 15th, 2023, 6:32 pm

ivahunch wrote:

The following have been "Resolved using SymbolMap.csv" but do not appear under "Fetching Quotes"

I have VWRL which updates correctly, in the SymbolMap.csv I have vwrl in column A and aofacw in column B.

ivahunch wrote:

Have you noticed that the FT function now reports the prices in pence instead of GBP. So unfortunately the values at X100 too high!

I have no issues with FT downloads, have you checked the Last Price Currency column, GBP for pounds and GBX for pence ?

Sixtyone

Postby Sixtyone » November 15th, 2023, 6:46 pm

ivahunch wrote:

OK I see what is happening, there is a setting in MSMoney to select which shares you want to update, if not ticked it does as you describe.
In my Money version it is under. investing > Update Prices > Pick Online Prices to Download.

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » November 15th, 2023, 8:53 pm

I have no issues with FT downloads, have you checked the Last Price Currency column, GBP for pounds and GBX for pence ?

Where is the last price currency column? I haven't changed anything from when it was last working ok

OK I see what is happening, there is a setting in MSMoney to select which shares you want to update, if not ticked it does as you describe.
In my Money version it is under. investing > Update Prices > Pick Online Prices to Download.

They are all picked correctly and I haven't changed anything

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 16th, 2023, 10:27 am

ivahunch wrote:

Name/ TDIM / Instrument ID

AVI Global Trust PLC (AGT) ao6rvh
City of London Investment Trust PLC (CTY) ao7jqh
Mercantile Investment Trust PLC (MRC) aobrc7
Personal Assets Trust PLC (PNL) aocktc
Templeton Emerging Markets Investment Trust PLC (TEM) aoecxm
TwentyFour Income Fund Ltd (TFIF) aoedcw
Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF USD Dis (VWRL) aofacw

These all resolve on https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money , so moneyquotes will be able to update their price. I've added instrument IDs from

https://www.gaiersoftware.com/FinancialInstrumentSearch

My Money file has TDIM in the Symbol field, and my symbol map looks like this:

$INX,a33k6h
UKX,aopnp2
VEVE,aof6cw
VFEM,aof6fr

If you are having an issue with GBP GBX, you can force it the symbol map file. https://www.gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

Sixtyone

Postby Sixtyone » November 16th, 2023, 10:42 am

ivahunch is there some confusion here between the SymbolMap.csv and the FT download options ?

genou gives a good explanation, but you have also mentioned the FT downloads. Which option are you using ?

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » November 16th, 2023, 4:35 pm

Which option are you using ?

I have been trying both options. The FT option used to work fine but now doesn't

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Postby ivahunch » November 16th, 2023, 5:58 pm

AVI Global Trust PLC (AGT) ao6rvh
City of London Investment Trust PLC (CTY) ao7jqh
Mercantile Investment Trust PLC (MRC) aobrc7
Personal Assets Trust PLC (PNL) aocktc
Templeton Emerging Markets Investment Trust PLC (TEM) aoecxm
TwentyFour Income Fund Ltd (TFIF) aoedcw
Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF USD Dis (VWRL) aofacw

These IDs are different from those shown by "Map a Financial Instrument to an Instrument ID" but they do seem to work ok
So I wondered where you found these?

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”