Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

New HYPTUSS versions 11.86 (Excel) and c-b (LibreOffice)

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

New HYPTUSS versions 11.86 (Excel) and c-b (LibreOffice)

Postby kiloran » September 10th, 2023, 2:23 pm

A new version of HYPTUSS for you to play with. No major change of functionality, just bug fixes and a return to share prices from Yahoo

1. With the demise of the Yahoo Finance API, the previous version of HYPTUSS retrieved share prices from SharePrices.com. This appears to work well, but is a somewhat unknown quantity, so we have developed a way to get prices and exchange rates from a Yahoo web page https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quotes/AAL ... .L/view/v1
    The SharePrices.com option is still available, selectable on the Parameters sheet, so we now have a back-up if one source is down
  2. The previous version introduced a bug with the Company Data Sheet, so empty rows in the Data Sheet caused a failure. This has now been fixed
  3. Before the release of the previous version, showing charts from LiveCharts failed, due to a change in the website, so the LiveCharts option was disabled. Since then, LiveCharts have fixed their website so charts from LiveCharts are now functional again

The new versions are available at https://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weeb ... op-up.html

--kiloran

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Re: New HYPTUSS versions 11.86 (Excel) and c-b (LibreOffice)

Postby TUK020 » September 11th, 2023, 9:58 am

Thank you for your much appreciated activity in supporting this.

Downloaded latest version and taken it for a spin. Libre Office version
All looks good, except the Forecast PE seems to be broken. Everything else I have looked at looks great

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 11th, 2023, 10:05 am

TUK020 wrote:Thank you for your much appreciated activity in supporting this.

All looks good, except the Forecast PE seems to be broken. Everything else I have looked at looks great

When you say the Forecast PE is broken, do you mean HYPTUSS is not correctly reporting the PE from Sharecast, or Sharecast PE is incorrect?

I suspect you mean the latter, in which case there is not a lot we can do

--kiloran

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 11th, 2023, 10:10 am

kiloran wrote:
TUK020 wrote:Thank you for your much appreciated activity in supporting this.

When you say the Forecast PE is broken, do you mean HYPTUSS is not correctly reporting the PE from Sharecast, or Sharecast PE is incorrect?

--kiloran

All forecast PEs = 0

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 11th, 2023, 11:12 am

TUK020 wrote:
kiloran wrote:When you say the Forecast PE is broken, do you mean HYPTUSS is not correctly reporting the PE from Sharecast, or Sharecast PE is incorrect?

--kiloran

All forecast PEs = 0

Sorry, that still does not help me.
For a share with PE = 0, select the ticker in Column C
Then click on the "Open Sharecast Web Page" button
Scroll down the Sharecast web page and look at "Key Financials/Valuation". Does this show a Forecast PE of 0? If so, the problem is with Sharecast, and we can't do anything with HYPTUSS to resolve this.

If you still have a problem, please provide some example tickers

--kiloran

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 12th, 2023, 11:19 am

Done this.
First share BP shows PE=0 on HYTUSS, Sharecast has real value in both forecast and trailing PE.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 12th, 2023, 11:36 am

TUK020 wrote:Done this.
First share BP shows PE=0 on HYTUSS, Sharecast has real value in both forecast and trailing PE.

That's weird.
I had a look at the Sharecast page for bp https://www.sharecast.com/equity/BP

The Key Financials shows a Forecast PE of 0, which is then reported in HYPTUSS:

HYPTUSS uses the Forecast PE. If this shows as n/a, then it uses the Latest PE instead, but 0 is not the same as n/a

--kiloran

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 12th, 2023, 12:07 pm

kiloran wrote:
TUK020 wrote:Done this.

That's weird.

HYPTUSS uses the Forecast PE. If this shows as n/a, then it uses the Latest PE instead, but 0 is not the same as n/a

--kiloran

Even weirder, I get from teh key financials in Sharecast for BP

Div Yield 3.7% 4.3%

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 12th, 2023, 12:25 pm

TUK020 wrote:
kiloran wrote:That's weird.

--kiloran

Even weirder, I get from teh key financials in Sharecast for BP

Div Yield 3.7% 4.3%

That looks OK to me. My HYPTUSS also displays the 4.3% Forecast Yield.

When you say that Sharecast has a real value for Forecast PE, what is that value?

--kiloran

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 13th, 2023, 10:31 pm

kiloran wrote:
TUK020 wrote:Even weirder, I get from teh key financials in Sharecast for BP

Div Yield 3.7% 4.3%

That looks OK to me. My HYPTUSS also displays the 4.3% Forecast Yield.

When you say that Sharecast has a real value for Forecast PE, what is that value?

--kiloran

Sorry for being unclear.
When I go to sharecast for BP, the key financials show actual PE 3.7%, and forecast PE 4.3%
However, when HYPTUSS downloads the yield data, the spreadsheet shows forecast PE=0

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 14th, 2023, 5:40 am

TUK020 wrote:
When I go to sharecast for BP, the key financials show actual PE 3.7%, and forecast PE 4.3%

However, when HYPTUSS downloads the yield data, the spreadsheet shows forecast PE=0

The critical aspect that's not been clear is that the Sharecast 'Key Financials' section has three distinct 'tabs' -

• Income & Efficiency
  • Valuation
  • Growth

By default, the Sharecast page loads in a browser with the Income & Efficiency tab activated, but if you select the Valuation tab at the top of the table you will see that BP is currently being listed as having a PE of zero -

Source - https://www.sharecast.com/equity/BP

The problem you've got in this instance is with the data-source, and not the tool.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 14th, 2023, 8:12 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
TUK020 wrote:

The critical aspect that's not been clear is that the Sharecast 'Key Financials' section has three distinct 'tabs' -

• Income & Efficiency
  • Valuation
  • Growth

By default, the Sharecast page loads in a browser with the Income & Efficiency tab activated, but if you select the Valuation tab at the top of the table you will see that BP is currently being listed as having a PE of zero -

Source - https://www.sharecast.com/equity/BP

The problem you've got in this instance is with the data-source, and not the tool.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

thank you and apologies for causing confusion

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » October 3rd, 2023, 10:17 am

Hello

As always, many thanks for this wonderful tool.
I'm using c-b (LO) and notice that Woodside WDS pulls up ??? on the currency cell on dividends sheet.
For me it's not a major issue, but thought I'd bring it up.

torata

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 3rd, 2023, 12:59 pm

torata wrote:Hello

As always, many thanks for this wonderful tool.
I'm using c-b (LO) and notice that Woodside WDS pulls up ??? on the currency cell on dividends sheet.
For me it's not a major issue, but thought I'd bring it up.

torata

And for that, we have to thank the inconsistent Sharecast :(

On the Sharecast page for dividends, they use the ¢ symbol for US dollar cents and also Euro cents, so HYPTUSS looks at a different Sharecast page which shows the correct currency.
For BP, we use the "Latest" table from https://www.sharecast.com/equity/BP/financials/ which shows a dividend of $0.07, clearly dollars.

For WDS, the equivalent page is https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Woodsi ... financials
Which is unfortunately an empty page! So, we show a currency of "????"

Having looked at this again, there is another option within Sharecast that we could perhaps use for HYPTUSS, but I'll need to investigate to see if it is any more reliable.

--kiloran

evilbungle
Lemon Pip

Postby evilbungle » January 17th, 2024, 11:11 am

Apologies but is there any chance you can share the password for the VBA or post the updated code for the Yahoo call?
I have my own spreadsheet which was based on HYPTUS many years ago (When I had the password, not sure if it has changed or I have forgotten it :D ) and would love to update the VBA to pull the data from Yahoo again. (Currently I have a workaround using Stock History Function but it is clunky and unreliable.)
Thank you.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 17th, 2024, 11:22 am

evilbungle wrote:Apologies but is there any chance you can share the password for the VBA or post the updated code for the Yahoo call?
I have my own spreadsheet which was based on HYPTUS many years ago (When I had the password, not sure if it has changed or I have forgotten it :D ) and would love to update the VBA to pull the data from Yahoo again. (Currently I have a workaround using Stock History Function but it is clunky and unreliable.)
Thank you.

Should be "pleasletmein"

evilbungle
Lemon Pip

Postby evilbungle » January 17th, 2024, 11:29 am

Thank you, I was missing off the please - teach me to forget my Ps and Qs
Thank you very much

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » March 31st, 2024, 2:53 pm

Hi,

I've just got round to downloading the c-b Libreoffice version, I see that the latest data sheet was updated recently so started by trying to update it. The first step to select all > clear contents presented me with a sub-menu giving me a choice of things to delete - text/date time/comments/numbers/formulas - I just selected delete all. This left me with a blank data sheet except for the label in the first row 'Select your start row....' I mention this because the video shows a completely blank sheet.

Then downloaded the latest data sheet did the select all > copy - but the next step - past special > text - didn't work, nothing pasted, however when I did a command V it did paste so went to the HYP tab and tested it by getting the share price for BP, as expected this produced an error.

com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException: Error during invoking function getPriceSrc in module vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/6/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py (<class 'UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'response' referenced before assignment
File "/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/Resources/pythonscript.py", line 915, in invoke
ret = self.func( *args )
File "vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/6/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py", line 4811, in getPriceSrc
File "vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/6/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py", line 2060, in HypUpdYahooPriPy_3
)

I'm using Mac OS 14.2.1 with Libreoffice version 7.5.7.1 which is an older version but still (I think) ok to use.

Can't see that anybody else has reported this.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 1st, 2024, 10:59 am

Fluke wrote:Hi,

I've just got round to downloading the c-b Libreoffice version, I see that the latest data sheet was updated recently so started by trying to update it. The first step to select all > clear contents presented me with a sub-menu giving me a choice of things to delete - text/date time/comments/numbers/formulas - I just selected delete all. This left me with a blank data sheet except for the label in the first row 'Select your start row....' I mention this because the video shows a completely blank sheet.

Then downloaded the latest data sheet did the select all > copy - but the next step - past special > text - didn't work, nothing pasted, however when I did a command V it did paste so went to the HYP tab and tested it by getting the share price for BP, as expected this produced an error.

com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException: Error during invoking function getPriceSrc in module vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/6/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py (<class 'UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'response' referenced before assignment
File "/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/Resources/pythonscript.py", line 915, in invoke
ret = self.func( *args )
File "vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/6/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py", line 4811, in getPriceSrc
File "vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/6/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py", line 2060, in HypUpdYahooPriPy_3
)

I'm using Mac OS 14.2.1 with Libreoffice version 7.5.7.1 which is an older version but still (I think) ok to use.

Can't see that anybody else has reported this.

I'm not sure what's happening here.
The video was created using Excel on Windows, so there are some minor differences for LibreOffice on other OS.
I'm using LibreOffice on Windows 11 and when I pasted the new data sheet using Command+V as you did, it pasted all of the data in Column A of the data sheet, which is clearly wrong. On LibreOffice, use right-click / Paste Special / Unformatted text, select TAB as the separator and click OK .
An easier way is to use the more automated process. Download the data sheet to your PC (typically the Downloads folder, but anywhere will do). Then select cell A1 and click on the box in cell A1 "Select your start row etc". This provides a file selection window. Locate your downloaded file and click on OK and the data will be updated. See page 17 of the User Guide.

However, this does not explain your problem. Updating share prices does not actually use the data sheet. You can delete all the data in the data sheet and you will still get updated prices when you click on the "Get Prices" button (IF you are using Yahoo as the price source, which is the default)

It sounds like you have corrupted something, so I suggest downloading a fresh copy of HYPTUSS and try again.

--kiloran

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » April 1st, 2024, 1:03 pm

kiloran wrote:I'm not sure what's happening here.
The video was created using Excel on Windows, so there are some minor differences for LibreOffice on other OS.
I'm using LibreOffice on Windows 11 and when I pasted the new data sheet using Command+V as you did, it pasted all of the data in Column A of the data sheet, which is clearly wrong. On LibreOffice, use right-click / Paste Special / Unformatted text, select TAB as the separator and click OK .
An easier way is to use the more automated process. Download the data sheet to your PC (typically the Downloads folder, but anywhere will do). Then select cell A1 and click on the box in cell A1 "Select your start row etc". This provides a file selection window. Locate your downloaded file and click on OK and the data will be updated. See page 17 of the User Guide.

However, this does not explain your problem. Updating share prices does not actually use the data sheet. You can delete all the data in the data sheet and you will still get updated prices when you click on the "Get Prices" button (IF you are using Yahoo as the price source, which is the default)

It sounds like you have corrupted something, so I suggest downloading a fresh copy of HYPTUSS and try again.

--kiloran

Hi Kiloran, yes take your point about the get price having nothing to do with the data sheet, think I meant to add a new share but anyway. I've done as you suggested, deleted the one from yesterday and just downloaded a new copy, Ignoring the data sheet problem for now I went straight to the HYP sheet and tried to get the price for the single BP share and got the following error message. I didn't touch anything on the parameters sheet.

com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException: Error during invoking function getPriceSrc in module vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/13/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py (<class 'UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'response' referenced before assignment
ret = self.func( *args )
File "vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/13/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py", line 4811, in getPriceSrc
File "vnd.sun.star.tdoc:/13/Scripts/python/HypTopUp.py", line 2060, in HypUpdYahooPriPy_3
)

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”