Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

End of support for HYPTUSS

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

End of support for HYPTUSS

Postby kiloran » April 15th, 2024, 10:23 am

Itsallaguess created the Excel version of HYPTUSS around 15 years ago, and I then developed a LibreOffice clone a year or two later. Since then, Itsallaguess has provided the vision and the brains, and I've provided some of the programming support. It's been a fun collaborative effort, and the tool has been popular with a number of Fools since its introduction.

We're sure there are fewer users these days, and HYP discussions seem to be less frequent; all that can be said has probably been said and discussed, and HYP supporters just sit quietly and gather in the dividends.

A while ago, Itsallaguess mentioned that perhaps HYPTUSS had reached the end of its useful life, and we should consider stopping further support and development.
It now looks like Sharecast have made a change to their Dividends web page and this will be a significant effort to resolve. This has always been an inevitable problem with the tool.... webpage changes require ongoing changes to HYPTUSS, and it becomes increasingly difficult to find solutions.

So, we think, with regret, that this is as good a time as any to announce that we are stopping further development and bug fixes.

I'll put the 8000 lines of code for the LibreOffice version in a quiet corner of my laptop.

Feel free to report any future issues. If a problem is a show-stopper and has a simple solution, I'll have a look at it if possible, but anything beyond that I'll politely reject.

Apologies to those who still use HYPTUSS

--kiloran

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: End of support for HYPTUSS

Postby kempiejon » April 15th, 2024, 10:32 am

Well thank you both for all the work you've put in over the years. No doubt there'll be a flurry of users echoing that. I've found it a great tool and still use it to record my portfolio and a quick sort for my monthly top up.
I'm a regular user so when inevitably it become redundant and falls over I'll be sad. My HYP is done, currently dividends are invested but the time will come when I spend them so you're probably right that the code is less utilised than when first imagined.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » April 15th, 2024, 10:53 am

All I can say is many thanks to both you and IAAG for the time and effort you have put into creating and maintaining it. I still use it, but mainly to update prices in a linked spreadsheet, so will carry on using that for as long as it works. And when it stops, I'm lucky to only have eleven stocks, so manually updating them from time to time isn't an issue.

Thanks again!

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » April 15th, 2024, 11:21 am

I'm sorry to hear that - it has been an invaluable tool for many of us and will be hard to replace when it inevitably is overcome by website changes. I run it alongside a home-grown spreadsheet - using that for recording each individual share purchase and HYPTUSS for the overall figures for each share, so that they complement each other and also work as a useful cross-check. I've extended it considerably to include things like aggregate and average cost prices, capital gain/loss, total dividends and total return, as well as historical records of yield changes and dividends paid. I run it pretty much every day.

I may be forced to try to revive my dormant (and never very advanced) programming skills, or find someone else who's better equipped. All of which demonstrates what a service the two of you have provided over the last few years - giving us the fruits of your efforts for only our inadequate thanks.

Ah well, if Shell decide to decamp to the US then there may not even be a London stock market in a few years time, and the awful mess that's been made of Sharecast (I speak as a web designer) may crumble to dust anyway.

For your battles with Yahoo, Sharecast and the rest you have our profound gratitude.

Spiderbill

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » April 15th, 2024, 12:41 pm

I have actually migrated my own spreadsheets into HYPTUSS and added a few additions which you have mainly included in the "base code". I too tend to use a "virgin" HYPTUSS to gather data which I then have other spreadsheets linked to. Looks like I may have to dust off my "programmers hat" at some point. I must admit I used it a great deal whilst building my HYP but for many years now have been slowly moving into the IT world and my HYP has become somewhat stable, no new buys only sales and rare top-ups. Thanks to both of you for all your work, you certainly made my life a lot easier.

TerryWood

Postby TerryWood » April 15th, 2024, 1:15 pm

Hi@Kiloran

I am truly sorry that this is the end of the line for Hyptuss. I have had exceptional personal support from you for which I will be eternally grateful.

That support has enabled me to integrate my own spreadsheet into Hyptuss to enable automatic price downloading.
Thank you again and on a more selfish note is the Simple Yahoo Price Scrape to be relegated?

Thank you again for all your hard work.

Terry

Maylix
2 Lemon pips

Postby Maylix » April 15th, 2024, 1:50 pm

The end of an Era.... :(
Many, many thanks to Kiloran and IAAG. Your sterling efforts may have gone un-remarked, but never un-appreciated.
Peace out.
MayLix

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » April 15th, 2024, 2:11 pm

Many thanks to you both for maintaining the HYPTUSS for so long. I used it for many years to monitor my portfolios and identify top-ups to my SIPP/ISA.

I was particularly grateful for the LibreOffice version. Otherwise, I would have had to use a Windows VM (tiresome).

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 15th, 2024, 3:14 pm

TerryWood wrote:Hi@Kiloran

I am truly sorry that this is the end of the line for Hyptuss. I have had exceptional personal support from you for which I will be eternally grateful.

That support has enabled me to integrate my own spreadsheet into Hyptuss to enable automatic price downloading.
Thank you again and on a more selfish note is the Simple Yahoo Price Scrape to be relegated?

Thank you again for all your hard work.

Terry

Glad to have been of help, Terry.
No current plans to terminate the Simple Yahoo Price Scrape. Its functionality is far, far less than that of HYPTUSS, so is less likely to have a problem, and any problem should be easier to solve (words that will no doubt come back to haunt me in the near future!)

--kiloran

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 15th, 2024, 4:15 pm

I am very sorry indeed to hear this. I can understand it from your pov, but it seems to be a reflection of the decline of TLF as a whole.There are just not as many interesting posts any longer. Oh, I will continue to hang around, pay my dues (which _are_ due) for old times sake, but it’s no longer so vibrant. c/f the fediverse, xmpp & the like, it’s an old folk’s home.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 15th, 2024, 7:35 pm

Huge thank you from me too, both to you and Itsallaguess (hope he's reading this). Like others I use HYPTUSS as is then link to it for all my funny bits. :?

Highest regards,
Chris

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 15th, 2024, 7:56 pm

Many thanks for a valiant effort. I've never used it, having my own system, but for many it must have been a godsend.

TJH

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 15th, 2024, 8:04 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Many thanks for a valiant effort. I've never used it, having my own system, but for many it must have been a godsend.

TJH

And thanks to you also. The HYPTUSS top-up ranking system was, of course, inspired by you

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 16th, 2024, 8:48 am

kiloran wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Many thanks for a valiant effort. I've never used it, having my own system, but for many it must have been a godsend.

TJH

And thanks to you also. The HYPTUSS top-up ranking system was, of course, inspired by you

--kiloran

I'm so sorry to hear that you are discontinuing support, for I've often wondered what would happen without it. I use HYPTUSS on a fairly constant basis, but I guess as it gradually "decays" I will find ways around the resulting problem - though they will be less convenient, of that I am sure.

I thank you and Itsallaguess from the bottom of my heart for all you have done for us. It's made my HYPing an easy pleasure, and I count myself fortunate to have had a "free ride" for so long.

Perhaps you might be tempted back occasionally on a casual basis for easier problems ;)

Arb.

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » April 16th, 2024, 9:02 am

Many thanks to both for all your hard work and gentle polite patience. A selfless example to us all.

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » April 17th, 2024, 12:13 pm

I would like to add my own thanks to you for supporting HYPTUSS for so long. I use it every week and have always found it useful. I tend to be a 'quiet user' because most of the time it just works. Therefore, I will continue to use it for as long as possible.

The main problem with HYPTUSS is the data sources, which all seem to have different problems, errors and various restrictions. I think this is largely because many of them are attempting to monetise often public data, adding little of real value, whilist doing it as cheaply as possible. They seem to ebb and flow in their usefullness. There must be a better system than this?

Thanks again for all your hardwork over the years.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 17th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Maintaining anything that depends on external links is a Sisyphean labour, and I admire you for keeping it going so long.

V8

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 17th, 2024, 5:56 pm

88V8 wrote:Maintaining anything that depends on external links is a Sisyphean labour, and I admire you for keeping it going so long.
V8

A long time, but worth it to learn a new word! 75 years on this planet and the first time I've encountered Sisyphean :oops:

--uncultured kiloran

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 17th, 2024, 6:58 pm

kiloran wrote:
88V8 wrote:Maintaining anything that depends on external links is a Sisyphean labour, and I admire you for keeping it going so long.
V8

A long time, but worth it to learn a new word! 75 years on this planet and the first time I've encountered Sisyphean :oops:

--uncultured kiloran
The Germans have a saying for that, "Man lernt nie aus."

As for reliable data sources I would like to find an API that provides share prices (20 min delay would be fine) and absolute dividends, index values, and currency exchange rates. The benefit would be that the provider commits to maintaining the data format, which I think is usually JSON or similar, so spectacularly easy to use. I would be willing to pay a modest sum for an API key to such a service. I do hope I find one.

Chris

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » April 18th, 2024, 9:19 am

Just typical! After reading talk of this tool I was considering giving it a look see.

Looks like I missed the boat and probably what it was capable of. Ti's always an issue when you rely on an individual or small group to keep things going.

Still I can applaud those that have given their efforts over the years.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”