Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Problems with Excel/OneDrive

Discussions regarding financial software
daveh
Lemon Quarter

Problems with Excel/OneDrive

Postby daveh » April 16th, 2024, 9:57 am

I have a number of linked financial Excel spreadsheets on my personal OneDrive drive that are supposed to sync and save automatically. Today when I went to update them the version that opened didn't look right, edits were missing and they looked to be older versions. In one case just from couple of days ago, but my HYPTUSS version looked to be from several days ago/ last month as it was missing at least one share purchase.

I managed to restore what looked to be the correct most up to date version from yesterday for each of the spreadsheets, but does anyone have an idea of what happened. Its very worrying because my spreadsheets are quite complicated and contain my whole financial history for tax and record purposes.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Problems with Excel/OneDrive

Postby kempiejon » April 16th, 2024, 10:46 am

daveh wrote:I managed to restore what looked to be the correct most up to date version from yesterday for each of the spreadsheets, but does anyone have an idea of what happened. Its very worrying because my spreadsheets are quite complicated and contain my whole financial history for tax and record purposes.

A year or two back I abandoned Onedrive and Office 365 and went back to an old version of Office just on local machine. With 365 I found the spreadsheets sometime stuttered for a second with calculations or formatting a feature I hadn't seen before my upgrading to the new office suite. I was also concerned that my primary files were now on some else's computer, I use Gdrive and a separate USB to back up important files but the 365 seemed to put them in the cloud. I believe that you can set 365 to work offline which I assume would be keeping the files local perhaps that might be either a reasons - did your settings change or an alternative way to use excel.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » April 16th, 2024, 11:00 am

kempiejon wrote:
daveh wrote:I managed to restore what looked to be the correct most up to date version from yesterday for each of the spreadsheets, but does anyone have an idea of what happened. Its very worrying because my spreadsheets are quite complicated and contain my whole financial history for tax and record purposes.

A year or two back I abandoned Onedrive and Office 365 and went back to an old version of Office just on local machine. With 365 I found the spreadsheets sometime stuttered for a second with calculations or formatting a feature I hadn't seen before my upgrading to the new office suite. I was also concerned that my primary files were now on some else's computer, I use Gdrive and a separate USB to back up important files but the 365 seemed to put them in the cloud. I believe that you can set 365 to work offline which I assume would be keeping the files local perhaps that might be either a reasons - did your settings change or an alternative way to use excel.

Nothing should have changed afaik - I didn't change any settings again afaik and it seems to have worked fine up to now for several years. Worked in that I haven't noticed the wrong version being uploaded to my computer when I open the file on any other occasion. I like that I can work on the files on different computers. I'm going to add an extra sheet to each spreadsheet which will be a version number (the date) so I know I'm looking at the latest version and will save more back ups to hard drive/ a USB stick.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 16th, 2024, 11:12 am

daveh wrote:Nothing should have changed afaik - I didn't change any settings again afaik and it seems to have worked fine up to now for several years. Worked in that I haven't noticed the wrong version being uploaded to my computer when I open the file on any other occasion. I like that I can work on the files on different computers. I'm going to add an extra sheet to each spreadsheet which will be a version number (the date) so I know I'm looking at the latest version and will save more back ups to hard drive/ a USB stick.

I never trust myself nor the software to have allowed a change I didn't action or ask for. Seems every year or I so I have to find a roll back or a work around for something that I don't understand which changes how something works. But if nothing's changed in your set up then it couldn't have happened. Your version should be there.
I only use one machine so the convenience of cloud based files doesn't benefit me.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » Today, 9:35 am

Its happened again. I edited 5 files last week. I look at them today and there are two saves at identical times in each file. The first save is the updated files the 2nd save is a much older version from several days ago and that is the one that has been opened. Its easy to spot due to the identical save times, but its a real pain having to restore the correct version and remember to check whether it's saved an old version.

Anyone any idea what's happening?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » Today, 10:41 am

I do find with OneDrive that when I turn on my PC it initially says all is in sync, but then a few minutes later it decides they are not all in sync, and syncs them.

So when I turn my PC on I leave it awhile before working on Excel spreadsheets so it can make sure all is up to date, otherwise it can open the version on the C: drive before the update has finished.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”