Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Digitallook on the move

Discussions regarding financial software
BobGe
Lemon Slice

Re: Digitallook on the move

Postby BobGe » January 8th, 2021, 6:52 am

tjh290633 wrote:I see that S32 state that their dividend is "fully franked".

Now you come to mention it I think it changed for the 19-20 tax year. Some of the Spanish ones were taxed, IAG and BNC, for example, when they last paid.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 8th, 2021, 10:07 am

BobGe wrote:Talking of RDSB, can you see the 2020 dividends?

Yes, the FT Portfolio lists them under 'transactions' for RDSB. For the most part they are correct, though there's a discrepancy for the Q2 dividend. I've double checked, and it is FT's figure that is wrong. The FT's dates are declaration dates, mine are payment dates.

FT Portfolio transactions for RDSB

Asset                             Asset Class    Type      Quantity        Price        Fees    Date

Royal Dutch Shell PLC RDSB:LSE Equities Dividend **** Amount 12.48 GBX 12/11/20
Royal Dutch Shell PLC RDSB:LSE Equities Dividend **** Amount 12.25 GBX 13/08/20
Royal Dutch Shell PLC RDSB:LSE Equities Dividend **** Amount 12.68 GBX 14/05/20
Royal Dutch Shell PLC RDSB:LSE Equities Dividend **** Amount 36.40 GBX 13/02/20

From my records

Payment Date                      Dividend (p)
16-Dec-20 Royal Dutch Shell B 12.48 Q3
21-Sep-20 Royal Dutch Shell B 12.09 Q2
22-Jun-20 Royal Dutch Shell B 12.68 Q1
23-Mar-20 Royal Dutch Shell B 36.4 Fin.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » January 8th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Breelander wrote:
BobGe wrote:Talking of RDSB, can you see the 2020 dividends?

Yes, the FT Portfolio lists them under 'transactions' for RDSB.

Well, I asked because I've a dummy portfolio set up for 'playing around'. Funny thing is: I put in a couple of RDSB long buys with transaction dates of 3/1/20 and 4/1/20 and no divs appear. If I put in similar for RDSA they do (as they do for BP. and IMB). So I added another RDSB long buy with a date of 5/1/19 then I get dividends for 2019 but still not for 2020.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 8th, 2021, 8:54 pm

BobGe wrote:Well, I asked because I've a dummy portfolio set up for 'playing around'. Funny thing is: I put in a couple of RDSB long buys with transaction dates of 3/1/20 and 4/1/20 and no divs appear..

On the right of the headline title of the portfolio is an Actions drop-down menu. Select 'Manage dividends'. Here you should see any unmanaged dividends (those that have been declared, but have not automatically been handled by your global 'manage dividends' settings). This seems to be possible if you added a holding before you set set the global setting. I found a few BP dividends declared back in 2008.

Select all the unmanaged dividends you may find, you'll have the option to move them to your cash holding. That should fix any expected dividends that do not appear.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » January 9th, 2021, 5:09 am

Breelander wrote:On the right of the headline title of the portfolio is an Actions drop-down menu. Select 'Manage dividends'. Here you should see any unmanaged dividends

It reports that there are none.
Breelander wrote:This seems to be possible if you added a holding before you set set the global setting.

FWIW, no and I've deleted all holdings and re-listed several times. As I said it shows RDSB:LSE 2019 divis, just not the 2020 ones. If I enter the same holding for RDS.B:NYQ then I get 2020 dividends. I guess it's just a glitch.

I've decided I'm not keen on the FTs dividend handling as it interferes with the displayed figures and using it doesn't enable one to see capital gains/losses for a line or for the overall, nor does it identify the cash entries, nor provide dividend totals. I like to see the capital position and the dividends separately. The filter function also seems to have a mind of it's own too.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » January 12th, 2021, 3:07 am

I had a look at Morningstar and didn't like the style much and wasn't keen on the upselling. Also looked at Trustnet which appeared better and covers a lot of instruments, including pensions, (no retrospective dividends though, for anyone wanting that) except the selection of said instruments seems to be a right pain in the proverbial. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears one has to choose by description only (via lengthy drop down lists) and I couldn't see any way to use an Epic, ISIN or Sedol. Similarly the portfolio entry only looks to show the description. This seems daft. I'm wondering if I am missing something.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » January 20th, 2021, 7:42 am

FWIW, I've also had a look at the two LSE offerings, that is London South East and the London Stock Exchange. I also took a quick look at ADVFN.

The London South East offers two levels of Portfolio, one very "basic" which just tracks capital gain/loss and the second "advanced", still quite simple, which adds cash account. There's no indication of divi or corporate action handling. It's very easy to use, the presentation is clear and it seems to cover UK and US stocks which is about as far as I looked.

The London Stock Exchange portfolios only cover LSE listings (I believe), has a cash account, will allow negative cash but is tedious (particularly to add a instrument transaction), clumsy and clunky to use. I tried with Firefox, a 10 year old W7 PC and a good fibre connection. It may work better for you if you have a fast modern PC. (Along with a modern browser and good internet connection of course!) A positive is that bonds, rights, warrants etc. are covered, although the nanny FCA has kindly banned P/Is from dealing in some of those. The 'help' helpfully omits to mention anything about dividends or corporate actions.

The ADVFN offering looks to be the best I've come across. It's nice and compact, with small font, with an 'accounting' type presentation and suits a desktop display (as DL did), whereas many of the others seem to be designed for smart phones (so much wasted space, so much scrolling...). It has good instrument covering, has a proper cash account, accepts negative cash values, shows dividend income and capital gains/losses separately. I liked the look. When I get time I'll set up real portfolio that I can monitor for a while.

None of the above appear to present anything retrospectively AFAIIA in my brief trials. It seems the FT offering may be alone there.

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » January 22nd, 2021, 3:22 pm

BobGe wrote:FWIW, I've also had a look at the two LSE offerings, that is London South East and the London Stock Exchange.

The London Stock Exchange portfolios only cover LSE listings (I believe), has a cash account, will allow negative cash but is tedious (particularly to add a instrument transaction), clumsy and clunky to use. I tried with Firefox, a 10 year old W7 PC and a good fibre connection. It may work better for you if you have a fast modern PC. (Along with a modern browser and good internet connection of course!) A positive is that bonds, rights, warrants etc. are covered, although the nanny FCA has kindly banned P/Is from dealing in some of those. The 'help' helpfully omits to mention anything about dividends or corporate actions.

You are effectively testing sites on a very old computer, so the more basic sites appear to be best.

I use the London Stock Exchange site on a modern MacMini and have no problems with it. I don't find it difficult to add or delete instruments. I don't bother adding dividends, as I use a seperate spreadsheet for this. In my experience Digitallook never handled dividends correctly and I long ago gave up with it.

Millie

Postby Millie » January 25th, 2021, 2:23 pm

Is anyone able to obtain earnings forecasts from Sharecast lately ?

I've been trying on and off during this month for a variety of different companies but can't see forecasts for any of them.

Interested to hear if anyone else has had any better luck.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 25th, 2021, 9:43 pm

Millie wrote:Is anyone able to obtain earnings forecasts from Sharecast lately ?

I've been trying on and off during this month for a variety of different companies but can't see forecasts for any of them.

The forecast data has been missing since the turn of the year. I emailed Sharecast a couple of weeks ago but (as usual :( ) I've had no reply from them

--kiloran

Millie

Postby Millie » January 26th, 2021, 2:42 pm

kiloran wrote:
Millie wrote:Is anyone able to obtain earnings forecasts from Sharecast lately ?

The forecast data has been missing since the turn of the year. I emailed Sharecast a couple of weeks ago but (as usual :( ) I've had no reply from them

--kiloran

I've just emailed Sharecast too to see if multiple emails helps persuade them to sort the issue out.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » February 5th, 2021, 4:22 am

Grumpsimus wrote:You are effectively testing sites on a very old computer, so the more basic sites appear to be best.

Well it may be 'older', but it doesn't make "the more basic sites appear to be best", and that's not the basis of my analysis. I'm looking at functionality following the DL demise. I did comment that "It may work better for you if you have a fast modern PC" because it seemed there were a lot of scripts running making page loads clunky.

It's a recently redesigned website set up for smart phones and alike. Often they don't suit desktop use so well and the LSE site is no exception.

Grumpsimus wrote:I use the London Stock Exchange site on a modern MacMini and have no problems with it. I don't find it difficult to add or delete instruments.

I didn't suggest there were problems with it, I just said I didn't like it much and it seemed to be limited to LSE listings (of greater concern).
Nor did I say it was difficult, I said I found it tedious (due to the number of steps), but YMMV. People should use whatever they find suits them best.
I've still no idea if it handles dividends or not. I've had none appear. DL wasn't great.

(Huh, "very old" indeed!) ;-)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 27th, 2021, 2:52 am

Bouleversee wrote:Oh dear! All I needed! I shall pray for it to be sorted as previously.

Breelander wrote:
supremetwo wrote:Seems to be permanent now on Digital Look Portfolio.

Sadly, yes - a permenant '502 Bad Gateway' now. Still, a two year stay of execution was more than any of us could have hoped for (just look at the date of the first post).

I just hope others took the opportunity in those two years to copy the portfolio details and recreate one elsewhere.

Guess what's back! For old times sake I never deleted my bookmark, and click on it several times a week - just to see what happens.

Yep, believe it or not I've signed into my DigitalLook Portfolio! At first glance everything looks correct and up to date, and it's just asked me to confirm those dividend payments made in its (prolonged) absence, including the recent Tesco consolidation shown below (holdings redacted, but the calculation was correct)...

Breelander's DL Portfolio Statement wrote:15-Feb-2021 Special Dividend With Consolidation payment made for: TSCO; (amount: 51p for ***** shares, payment date: 2021-02-15. Share amount adjusted by 15/19: **** shares remaining.)

Don't know for how long it's back - but if you regret not taking a copy of your holdings and pasting them into an Excel spreadsheet, you have an unexpected second chance.

http://finance.digitallook.com

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 27th, 2021, 5:55 pm

Not sure which thread this should continue on but I did post on the other one that although it says I am logged in and my details come up I can't get onto my portfolio as a Sharecast Log-in box comes up. Is anyone else having problems? And did you have to log into Sharecast, Bree?

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » March 27th, 2021, 7:25 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Not sure which thread this should continue on but I did post on the other one that although it says I am logged in and my details come up I can't get onto my portfolio as a Sharecast Log-in box comes up. Is anyone else having problems? And did you have to log into Sharecast, Bree?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you need to use the login button top right of the screen on the url above (which opens a popup for login details). Jsut worked fine for me (and many thanks for Brrelander for the heads up: who knows how long it will last but it's good to have it back even if only temporarily: I have taken screen dumps!)
You need to use the login button

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 27th, 2021, 7:34 pm

I did that and my details came up and it said I was logged in but when I clicked on my portfolio, a Sharecast log in box came up asking me to log in with facebook or google which didn't seem right. Did that happen to you?

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » March 28th, 2021, 11:35 am

Bouleversee wrote:I did that and my details came up and it said I was logged in but when I clicked on my portfolio, a Sharecast log in box came up asking me to log in with facebook or google which didn't seem right. Did that happen to you?

I've just tried it again this morning (Sunday) and login is fine, and all my data is there.
If you follow the web address given by breelander and steps (which is what I did), I hope it should work for you.
However, given that the site definitely disaapeared a couple of months ago (which was well trailed), and then it's inexplicably reappeared, I wonder if behaviour is a bit unpredictable, and we may see it disappear again.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 28th, 2021, 11:50 am

As reported on the other thread, I did finally manage to get to my portfolio last night with the help of you and Bree. Many thanks.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 28th, 2021, 4:49 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:....given that the site definitely disappeared a couple of months ago (which was well trailed)....

You can say that again :!: two years wasn't it?
...and then it's inexplicably reappeared, I wonder if behaviour is a bit unpredictable, and we may see it disappear again.

I'm sure we can count on that - just not sure when. Could be another two years, could be two days.

The only thing I'm sure of is that this is an unexpected last chance for those that haven't yet done so to copy and paste your portfolio details from DL into a spreadsheet.

Breelander wrote:The Portfolio can be selected, copied, then pasted into a spreadsheet with 'paste special' (in Excel use 'match destination format', or in LibreOffice paste as unformatted text, tab delimited). The Portfolio will require a little tidying up after pasting into a spreadsheet. You will need to adjust column widths and there are a few unwanted bits to clear. But no tidying up will be required for the Statement apart for column widths.

Here's a demo I made of one of my dummy portfolios, click on it to view full screen.

< step by step demo animation >
viewtopic.php?p=176586#p176586

(images cannot be included in posts on this board, but my post above is on board that does allow images. You can watch it there)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 28th, 2021, 6:47 pm

Old ladies like me don't do spreadsheets and all that is like a foreign language so far as I am concerned. I've printed out the portfolio again and that's as far as I have got. Anything else will have to wait till I have dealt with some more urgent things.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”