Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New HYPTUSS versions 11.52 and b-g

Discussions regarding financial software
0x3F

Re: New HYPTUSS versions 11.52 and b-g

Postby 0x3F » January 16th, 2018, 3:36 pm

vrdiver wrote:Crude, but it works. Just remember to keep an eye on 42TE in case it increases in value 100-fold some day :)

I've also hit the same problem and have come up with a solution. Its in python rather than VB, but should be easy to port over.

I've got a function to determine the magnitude of a number in a cell ie 9=1, 99=2, 999=3, etc

Code: Select all

def GetMagnitude(Price):
   return int(math.log10(Price)+1)

Before updating the price in a cell, I check what number is in it and determine its magnitude:

CurrentCellValue = sheet.getCellRangeByName(cell).Value
ExpectedMagnitude = GetMagnitude(float(CurrentCellValue))

Then, after fetching a price, I compare the magnitude of the fetched price (Price) with that of what was in the cell before. Correcting it if they're different by shifting dps by the appropriate amount.

def CheckPoundsPence(Price, ExpectedMagnitude):
   """
   Somethimes Yahoo returns price in GBP instead of GBX.  Correct for this.
   Shift price so as it reflects the expected magnitude.
   """

# Determine magnitude of price ie 9.00=1, 99.0=2, 999.0=3
   PriceMag = GetMagnitude(Price)

# Handles both Left and Right shifts.  Honest.
   if PriceMag != ExpectedMagnitude:
      Price *= 10**(ExpectedMagnitude - PriceMag)

return Price

This works well, though will hit a problem if the share price goes from eg 99->100 (the code would then shift the value to be 10 instead). Hopefully doesn't happen too often, but if it does then manually changing it to be 100 should ensure it's OK on next fetch.

-0x3F

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 16th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:I get exactly the same problem as NeilW, updating share prices works but you just get a row of question marks for the yield.

I an using LibreOffice 5.3.7.2 on a Mac with High Sierra 10.13.2. Wonder if it would be worth changing to Open Office.

So that's 3 reports of problems with HYPTUSS using LibreOffice on a Mac.
I know that some versions of LibreOffice for Windows had a bug which I think is now fixed. It was basically due to an incorrect build by the developers, and I do get the feeling that LibreOffice has frequent updates which often introduce new bugs.
I'm struggling to identify the current problem and develop a work-around, even harder since I only have access to Windows and Linux, but not Mac OSx.

It would be interesting if you could try OpenOffice and report the results. It tends to have less frequent updates, and perhaps more controlled releases. I thought you might be able to try OpenOffice Portable, but from what I can see, the portable versions for Mac are very old indeed and probably more trouble than they are worth.

--kiloran

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 17th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Re the 42TE (Co-Op pref share) price issue: I had a response back from my broker on this:

Our Pricing team have confirmed that bonds reflect a price in lots of 100 which is why this shows as £128.50 instead of 128.5 pence. This does not affect the value of the holding and this still reflects correctly, it is just how the unit price looks.

Not sure if that's useful (is there a field that contains the lot size quantity of a share?) or if it indicates that other similar entities may have this issue if the lot size is not=1 ?

VRD

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » January 17th, 2018, 3:09 pm

kiloran wrote:It would be interesting if you could try OpenOffice and report the results. It tends to have less frequent updates, and perhaps more controlled releases. I thought you might be able to try OpenOffice Portable, but from what I can see, the portable versions for Mac are very old indeed and probably more trouble than they are worth.

Kiloran
I have tried OpenOffice, the latest version for the Mac 4.1.5, and nothing happens the prices do not update, nor do the forecast yields update, you don't even get the question marks. This was with a clean install of OpenOffice and the latest version of HYPTUSS.

Just out of interest I tried again with a clean install of LibreOffice and HYPTUSS. The prices update, but you still get question marks for the yields.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 17th, 2018, 3:46 pm

vrdiver wrote:Re the 42TE (Co-Op pref share) price issue: I had a response back from my broker on this:

Our Pricing team have confirmed that bonds reflect a price in lots of 100 which is why this shows as £128.50 instead of 128.5 pence. This does not affect the value of the holding and this still reflects correctly, it is just how the unit price looks.

Not sure if that's useful (is there a field that contains the lot size quantity of a share?) or if it indicates that other similar entities may have this issue if the lot size is not=1 ?

VRD

Thank goodness they don't sell 42TE by the dozen or gross!!
There's nothing in the Yahoo price feed relating to lot size. However, the feed does include "quoteType":"BOND" so the next step is to see if all Bonds are priced in a similar manner, in which case we could easily compensate for this in the code.

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 17th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:
kiloran wrote:It would be interesting if you could try OpenOffice and report the results. It tends to have less frequent updates, and perhaps more controlled releases. I thought you might be able to try OpenOffice Portable, but from what I can see, the portable versions for Mac are very old indeed and probably more trouble than they are worth.

Kiloran
I have tried OpenOffice, the latest version for the Mac 4.1.5, and nothing happens the prices do not update, nor do the forecast yields update, you don't even get the question marks. This was with a clean install of OpenOffice and the latest version of HYPTUSS.

Just out of interest I tried again with a clean install of LibreOffice and HYPTUSS. The prices update, but you still get question marks for the yields.

Many thanks for the feedback, Grumpsimus. So far, my tests have shown:

Windows 10                    LO 5.4.4.2 x64                  OK
Windows 10 LO 5.3.1.2 portable 32-bit OK
Windows 7 LO 5.4.3.2 OK
Windows 7 OO 4-1-1 Portable Fail
Windows 7 OO 4-1-3 Portable OK
Windows 7 LO 5-3-1-2 Portable Fail
Windows 7 LO 5-3-2-2 Portable OK
Windows 7 LO 5-3-3-2 Portable Fail
Linux Mint (Virtual Machine) LO 4-4-3-2 OK

Now need to find out why there are differences and find a workaround

--kiloran

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » January 24th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Have just got round to using the new version and found that Card Factory appears to have disappeared off the DL sheet
/equity/Card_Factory Card Factory CARD General Retailers CARD 28067095
windows 10, excel 2010

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 24th, 2018, 8:53 pm

granretire wrote:Have just got round to using the new version and found that Card Factory appears to have disappeared off the DL sheet
/equity/Card_Factory Card Factory CARD General Retailers CARD 28067095
windows 10, excel 2010

OK, I've updated the Digital Look Data Sheet at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html
It will be incorporated into the next HYPTUSS release

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 14th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:

Kiloran

Many apologies, I've only just noticed that I did not reply to this.

I suspect that your OpenOffice install inhibits macros as a default.

Open Calc, then TOOLS/OPTIONS/OPENOFFICE/SECURITY/MACRO SECURITY and set this to MEDIUM

Close Calc, then open HYPTUSS and see if that works

--kiloran

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » March 2nd, 2018, 3:55 pm

kiloran wrote:Many apologies, I've only just noticed that I did not reply to this.

I suspect that your OpenOffice install inhibits macros as a default.

Open Calc, then TOOLS/OPTIONS/OPENOFFICE/SECURITY/MACRO SECURITY and set this to MEDIUM

Close Calc, then open HYPTUSS and see if that works

--kiloran

Thanks Kiloran. Apologies for not replying earlier, but I was out of the country for most of February.

I can confirm that HYPTUSS works correctly with OpenOffice on the Mac, with the correct macros enabled. Therefore, there seems no reason to use LibreOffice on the Mac, as the updates appear to be rather buggy.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”