Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

How can I keep my HYPTUSS alive?

Discussions regarding financial software
Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

How can I keep my HYPTUSS alive?

Postby Tortoise1000 » March 3rd, 2018, 12:38 pm

I download the latest version each time it is updated, key my shares in and save it under a new name. For a while it works. Then at some point I open it up and I just cant get it to update any more, even though I 'enable' the macros and the data connection. It has done it again today. Is there any way round downloading it and re-populating it again? I am on version 11.53

T

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: How can I keep my HYPTUSS alive?

Postby Itsallaguess » March 3rd, 2018, 1:05 pm

Tortoise1000 wrote:
I download the latest version each time it is updated, key my shares in and save it under a new name.

For a while it works. Then at some point I open it up and I just cant get it to update any more, even though I 'enable' the macros and the data connection.

It has done it again today. Is there any way round downloading it and re-populating it again? I am on version 11.53

Hi T,

When you say 'then at some point I open it up and I just cant get it to update any more', it's not clear exactly what's happening when you're trying to update the tool.

Do both the 'Get Yahoo Prices' and the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' stop working as expected? Do the buttons look like they do when you normally click them, but there's simply no follow-on process that changes any data?

When it's in this state of 'not working', what happens when you press the 'Instructions' button in the upper-right button area?

If, when it's not working, you SAVE the file under a new, temporary .XLSM (Macro enabled worksheet), and then open up that new temporary copy, and enable the macros, does that temporary version work as expected?

Have you tried temporarily disabling your AV/Firewall software, to see if there's something in there blocking the operation? Do remember to re-activate them both after this brief test if you can give it a go.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 3rd, 2018, 1:45 pm

Tortoise1000 wrote:
It has done it again today. Is there any way round downloading it and re-populating it again? I am on version 11.53

Apologies T, I also meant to ask earlier if you could please tell us which version of Windows and Excel you are running?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » March 3rd, 2018, 2:14 pm

Thank you so much for this prompt and comprehensive reply, Itsallaguess! You have solved it :-)

'Do both the 'Get Yahoo Prices' and the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' stop working as expected? Do the buttons look like they do when you normally click them, but there's simply no follow-on process that changes any data?'

Yes to all. I put the arrow over them and click and nothing happens.

'
When it's in this state of 'not working', what happens when you press the 'Instructions' button in the upper-right button area?'

Nothing.

'
If, when it's not working, you SAVE the file under a new, temporary .XLSM (Macro enabled worksheet), and then open up that new temporary copy, and enable the macros, does that temporary version work as expected?'

Yes! I didnt realise it was to do with the file name. Up at the top of the old one, where it gives file name at the top of the screen, it says '(Compatibility Mode)'. So that is a bit fishy, isnt it? The computer has obviously been messing about with my file for some reason. Anyway the new file works perfectly, even when I save and reopen it. Presumably I just have to look out for that Compatibility Mode in future. I have seen it on other Excel files actually. Do you know what it means?

'Have you tried temporarily disabling your AV/Firewall software, to see if there's something in there blocking the operation? Do remember to re-activate them both after this brief test if you can give it a go.'

This was unnecessary.

'tell us which version of Windows and Excel you are running'

Windows 10 and Office 2007, I think.

Thank you!

T

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 3rd, 2018, 4:21 pm

Tortoise1000 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
If, when it's not working, you SAVE the file under a new, temporary .XLSM (Macro enabled worksheet), and then open up that new temporary copy, and enable the macros, does that temporary version work as expected?'

Yes! I didn't realise it was to do with the file name.

Up at the top of the old one, where it gives file name at the top of the screen, it says '(Compatibility Mode)'. So that is a bit fishy, isn't it?

The computer has obviously been messing about with my file for some reason. Anyway the new file works perfectly, even when I save and reopen it.

Presumably I just have to look out for that Compatibility Mode in future. I have seen it on other Excel files actually. Do you know what it means?

Hi T,

Great to hear that you're back up and running, thanks for letting me know.

I seem to remember reading something a while ago that discussed some issues between the older Excel file format (.xls) and Office 2007, specifically where macros and password-protected spreadsheets are concerned.

It said that sometimes macros will refuse to run even when 'allowed', in some circumstances, where newer Office users, older than 2003, try to run password-protected spreadsheets that have macros in them, but if they save the same files in the newer Excel file format (.xlsm), then this solves the problem.

The 'Compatibility Mode' status seems to suggest that this might well have been an instance of this problem, and now that you've SAVED the file in the newer Excel file-format, the issue has now gone away.

Anyhow, great to know that we've solved it, and better than that, both the problem and the solution has been captured here for future reference in case anyone else has the same problem at any point.

Great stuff.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 3rd, 2018, 7:27 pm

Tortoise1000 wrote:...where it gives file name at the top of the screen, it says '(Compatibility Mode)'... Do you know what it means?

Generally, Compatibility Mode just means that the file was saved in an earlier Excel format. Most of the spreadsheets I have written for myself say this. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong in the spreadsheet, or that Windows has been 'messing with it'.

It just means, for me at least, that the original .xls was saved as 'Excel 97-2003 workbook (*.xls)'. In the case of HYPTUSS that is a necessary format to save in as it ensures it will work in old versions like Excel 2000 (which I can confirm it does).

Newer versions of Excel, like 2010 and above open in Compatibility Mode to ensure that when the file has been modified and saved it can still be opened in the older version of Excel.

Microsoft wrote:Work in compatibility mode
In Excel 2010 and later, when you open a workbook that was created in Excel 97-2003, it is automatically opened in Compatibility Mode, and you see Compatibility Mode in square brackets next to the file name in the Excel title bar.

The file format of compatibility mode
In Compatibility Mode, any new or enhanced Excel features are not available, which prevents loss of data and fidelity when the workbook is opened in an earlier version of Excel.
https://support.office.com/en-gb/articl ... cfd651a5ac

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”