Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Electric toothbrush

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Electric toothbrush

Postby brightncheerful » December 2nd, 2016, 3:09 pm

I rarely leave reviews on Amazon. For a start, Amazon's request I leave a review usually arrives weeks sometimes months before I get round to doing anything with the purchase, apart from unwrapping it. Since I mostly buy books non-fiction and judging by the calibre of reviews others leave I do not think I've the intellectual capacity to add anything of interest. As to whether the item arrived on or before the due date, that presupposes I've kept a note of Amazon's estimation, rather than mine. Also the last review I proffered, which was for a CD, USA import, was rejected because, I guess, although the seller asked me to leave a favourable review about the delivery which I did, I didn't say anything very much about the music itself.

Anyhow, having availed of a black friday under £100 for an over £200 electric toothbrush, my review has been accepted so to add to the vast readership it will undoubtedly reach, this is what I wrote about the Oral B Genius 9000: https://www.oralb.co.uk/en-gb/offers-and-whats-new/genius
(*Rob, an intelligent, wrote an insightful review about marketing hype and pricing.)

"Having used an Oral B 600 every day for several years, and thinking the battery might be on its way out, I jumped (not literally) at the opportunity to upgrade to state-of-the-art packaging, notwithstanding *Rob's review!

From my reading about this model, the main attraction for me was the time to recharge the battery which I am relieved to discover in practice is quicker. With the 600, it can take at least 18 hours which exceeds the Economy 7 electricity unit period. I avoid some of the duration by not waiting to recharge before the battery had run down but even then it takes ages.

I won’t be using the smart-phone app. My bathroom mirror is not fixed to but hung on a wall and loose at the bottom of the mirror. I wouldn't risk attaching the attachment lest the mirror could not withstand the weight or in my affixing the whole lot comes crashing down. Also, I am not interested in converting my bathroom mirror into a dental surgery

The motor sounds faster than the 600 and seems more consistent. I have I suppose sensitive teeth, years of vegetarianism have stripped most of the enamel and worn the teeth down to the filling lines so it's now a matter of being more careful what I eat and brushing my teeth more often, albeit twice a day is my routine. Whether I brush for 2 minutes at a time I've no idea, I brush until I feel I've had enough. I haven't experimented with the different settings and not being interested enough to identify the different brush heads, I am using the same one as on the 600.

One thing I learned from a review concerns the little coloured ring that slips onto the base of the brush between the brush head and the main unit. For years I've assumed it's a washer but now I've read that it's simply a way for different people using the same handle to identify which brush is theirs. Since it's me alone using it, I might be daring and risk not attaching the ring which would avoid pressing the brush onto the window ledge to get the ring to stay on.

I like the case that doubles as a charger; there is also an upright charger. Now I can lay the unit on the floor when charging instead of having it stand up. That avoids kicking it accidentally [I don’t mean to imply that, in future, I can kick it deliberately.]

Early days but the only disadvantage so far is that when I brush my teeth in the dark, (something I do regularly, preferring natural light or streets lights through the window rather than interior electric light), the flashing lights on the base unit are startling. For me, waking in the morning, particularly in the early hours of a dark morning, is sometimes a two-stage process. After waking, I get out of bed and wander into the bathroom, have a pee, take my vitamins, clean my teeth before going back to bed to unwind before getting up later, having a shower and getting dressed. Not being retired, I have to be alert the moment I start work, the start time varies according to mood. Every so often, I have to get up ever so early which is when I much prefer to adjust naturally to surroundings without switching on the lights so with the 9000 to have what amounts to a torchlight shone under my nose is not endearing. I was going to solve the problem by cupping my hand on my chin to shield my face from the light whilst cleaning my teeth until I realised that continuing to use the 600 is light-user-friendly. “I tried being normal once; worst two minutes of my life.”

Would I recommend the Genius 9000? Yes. It’s a solid piece of kit, every inch, etc. And telling people your day starts with experiencing Genius is worth its weight in toothpaste."

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Electric toothbrush

Postby bungeejumper » December 2nd, 2016, 4:27 pm

A black friday toothbrush? Just the thing for black friday teeth, I suppose.

Maybe I'll regret asking this, but why does your toothbrush need to communicate with your smartphone? Is it to nag you, or do you get Fitbit points for being especially diligent? Or does it send pictures of your foaming gob up to the cloud, so that you can be spinach-tooth-shamed and blackmailed by complete strangers? I think we should be told.

BJ

ThirdWay

Postby ThirdWay » December 2nd, 2016, 4:28 pm

It's a very good £20 toothbrush with some gimmicks to con you into paying 5x the fair price.

If you look on "camel camel camel" you'll see it was never a "£200 toothbrush", odd peaks aside.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Oral-B-El ... B01DY36X96

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 2nd, 2016, 6:24 pm

If you look on "camel camel camel" you'll see it was never a "£200 toothbrush", odd peaks aside.

On Amazon, RRP is £279.99. Currently the price to me* is £109.99. I paid £99.99 (* assuming Amazon's price varies depending upon the customer!)

I think it's important to remember that the difference between RRP and actual price, assuming the latter considerably less, is that were it not for the substantial difference the customer would immediate think being ripped off. This way, the thought occurs but not until after the sale is completed!

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 2nd, 2016, 6:36 pm

I think we should be told.

It's got Position Detection that uses Facial Recognition.

Which I think is another way of saying that if you could remember where you put your smartphone then you'd be able to recognise it simply by looking at it. Either that or something so technologically advanced that not only will the toothbrush need recharging but so also will your smartphone. My s/p on standby for a few hours uses approximately 25% battery charge.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » December 2nd, 2016, 6:54 pm

Occasionally I come across a thread which makes me feel as though I'm living in a parallel universe. This is one such thread. ;)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 2nd, 2016, 6:55 pm

brightncheerful wrote:It's got Position Detection that uses Facial Recognition.

Sounds like just what the world has been waiting for. A toothbrush that knows when you've dropped it down the back of the pillow, and can bounce a signal off the nearest radio mast to give you an exact GPS on your iPhone. I think I'll carry on leaving my toothbrush beside the washbasin.

Facial Recognition sounds like an excellent idea, though. You mean that it'll know whether the wife's nicked my toothbrush again?

BJ

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 5th, 2016, 4:17 pm

WrenChasen wrote:Occasionally I come across a thread which makes me feel as though I'm living in a parallel universe. This is one such thread. ;)

Perhaps your challenge is to work which universe you're in? :)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”