Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

is it too early.....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

is it too early.....

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 11:22 am

Does it feel abnormally cold because it's been abnormally hot, or is it actually time to put the heating back on.....?

I actually opened my 'winter-woolies' drawer earlier, but have managed with just a light jumper at the moment, with only a few shivers now and then...

Still, if I turned the radiators up a bit, I could probably go back to just wearing my summer clothes again.....I mean, what's the point in them being there if we're not going to use them??

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: is it too early.....

Postby scotia » August 19th, 2018, 11:42 am

I'm afraid my short-sleeved-shirt season has now passed up here in the north. Some years it never exists - but it has had a fair outing this year. So I shouldn't complain. Some people blame the weather change on the Jetstream. Others blame the international cricket season. Has any academic carried out a definitive study?

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » August 19th, 2018, 11:42 am

Where are you?!

I've got windows and interior doors open.

Rob

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 19th, 2018, 11:49 am

robbelg wrote:I've got windows and interior doors open.

We also have internal doors open, whatever the weather. Usually quite a few windows also, unless it is raining or extremely windy.

Like you, I did wonder where Itsa is based. A look at a map of the UK suggests he/she may not be in the warm South.

I'm out here in the garden, shorts and short sleeved shirt etc. ;-)
Last edited by PinkDalek on August 19th, 2018, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 19th, 2018, 11:50 am

Do you have a medical condition, like thyroid failure, that inhibits your body's natural temperature regulation?

If not, I can only conclude you've b***ered your body's ability to regulate itself, perhaps through massive pampering. Which is the whole reason for being warm-blooded, and the massive biological inefficiency of our high metabolic rate. If you need more than the body's own heat now, perhaps you should consider other aspects of a reptilian lifestyle, like reducing your diet to one big meal a month or so?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 11:52 am

robbelg wrote:
Where are you?!

I've got windows and interior doors open.

Somewhere near the arctic circle I think.

Having just checked, it seems that we've also got some upstairs windows open.

I can only think that the idea is to let some warmth in....

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 19th, 2018, 11:58 am

Pah - 68 degrees here being a perfect temperature.

Although I'll have to admit the other half did say it was cold overnight and could I not leave the bedroom windows so wide open.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 19th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Just cut the lawn...first time since June! I'm sweating here...21c

John

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » August 19th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Are we as a nation becoming soft and wimpy?
British chaps and chapesses do NOT say 'its cold'.

'A bit fresh'
or
'Bracing'
are allowed when the car thermostat displays the frost symbol.

And the only legitimate use of central heating is to protect pipes from freezing.

My Lancastrian best man (of all too many years ago) played rugby and would only give in to wearing a woolly jumper when it was actually snowing. He said it toughened him up. Quite right too.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 19th, 2018, 2:01 pm

It strikes me that some of you are a bit nesh. Putting away your short sleeve shirts because it's not so hot?. I reckon that the end of summer time is soon enough.

Maybe it was not going into long trousers until I was 14 has something to do with it. Ice on the inside of the bedroom window was common. Hard winters in 1941 and 1947 got us used to it. I do recall an escape and evasion exercise in early 1952, we were defending and I spent much of the night in the snow, sitting at the base of a telephone pole in deepest Lincolnshire. The game finished at 6am, but the enemy appeared at 0545 and were chased across a couple of fields until the deadline came, much to their disgust. It snowed in mid-December that year, stopping me from going solo on the Meteor. A long frosty period ensued, during which riding your RAF issue bike was definitely hazardous, as we had a concrete road up the spine of the domestic site, with frozen mud to the side. Trying to ride to the mess usually found one on the ground, unable to stand. My usual ploy was to drag myself and bike to a convenient bush, use that to return to the vertical, mount the bike and coast down to the mess. Straight line was fine, turning less so.

TJH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 19th, 2018, 2:44 pm

"Maybe it's the time of year, or maybe it's the time of man..."

Get a grip, ya softies. Yesterday it was 28 C in southern France, and today it's 21 C in Wiltshire, with maybe a 1% chance of rain, so it's a barbecue in the garden tonight, and sod the jet stream. I'm not hanging up my summer shirts for another month at least, and maybe I'll even court the village gossip with a glimpse of my deep-suntanned legs. If you've got it, flaunt it. :D

BJ

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 19th, 2018, 3:49 pm

It's 75F here in dull but humid N. Wales. The only problem is there's a lot of flying things with large teeth waiting to eat OH whenever he ventures out. I don't get bitten but whenever he ventures out there are cries of breakfast, lunch, dinner depending on the time of day. The housemartins are doing acrobatics and it's really peaceful just sitting here on the front of the summerhouse relaxing and doing absolutely nothing.

R6

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » August 19th, 2018, 4:23 pm

No, still got summer duvet on in the BP house and wearing shorts this afternoon...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 4:28 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Ice on the inside of the bedroom window was common. Hard winters in 1941 and 1947 got us used to it. I do recall an escape and evasion exercise in early 1952, we were defending and I spent much of the night in the snow, sitting at the base of a telephone pole in deepest Lincolnshire.

Bloody-hell Terry, hats off to you, but that's a heck of a high-bar in the 'am I allowed to feel cold' stakes!

For anyone truly concerned with my welfare, I've just cut the grass (in lieu of star-jumps...) and now also had a nice hot cup of tea. The kettle still seems to work in these conditions, which is a bonus..

I think I felt a slight dampness on my brow at some point, but not quite sure if it's proper warmth, or the onset of some sort of hypothermia...

I'll no doubt get through the night...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Snorvey wrote:
If you're cutting the grass you don't need the central heating on.

But surely every lawn has a final cut before winter?

I think I've been lucky to get mine in before the blizzards arrive......

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 19th, 2018, 5:08 pm

18-19c near Glasgow but it has been feeling a bit cool in parts of the house over the last day or two. In fact I've just spent a couple of hours working in the garden and it was quite balmy outside, though totally overcast.

I do find it seems a lot cooler in the house than the temperature would suggest when it's raining. I spent most of last week in Coventry and it was very warm. A bit of a shock when we got off the plane in Glasgow on friday evening.

--kiloran

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » August 19th, 2018, 5:55 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Do you have a medical condition, like thyroid failure, that inhibits your body's natural temperature regulation?

I'm with Uncle Eb with this. I always used to feel cold and happened to mention this to the doctor and my feet never touched till I landed in the clinique for blood tests. Immediately put on 25ug Levothyrox medication and it was then incrementally increased where I am now stable on 150ug Levothyrox daily, Get yourself checked. Don't phuck with your health.

A taste of our weather for the next few days.

Life's a bitch, eh.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » August 19th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Ice on the inside of the bedroom window was common

Certainly was.
And taking a bath in an unheated bathroom was an exercise in youthful endurance: everything in the bathroom vanished in a fog of water vapour; nothing apart from the taps at the far end was visible. You knew you had to emerge, but postponed the fateful event as long as possible - usually until the hot water from the tap ran tepid. Then you plucked up courage and jumped out - ahhhhhhhhh. Unsurprisingly (since there were no electric ventilator fan) the bathroom has almost permanent ice on he inside of the windows.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 19th, 2018, 11:39 pm

stewamax wrote:
Ice on the inside of the bedroom window was common

Certainly was.

Indeed. Wasn't that the norm for everyone until at least 1980s-affluence?
And taking a bath in an unheated bathroom

You have a heated bathroom? Why? It's not as if you're going to spend time sitting around there!
was an exercise in youthful endurance: everything in the bathroom vanished in a fog of water vapour; nothing apart from the taps at the far end was visible. You knew you had to emerge, but postponed the fateful event as long as possible - usually until the hot water from the tap ran tepid. Then you plucked up courage and jumped out - ahhhhhhhhh. Unsurprisingly (since there were no electric ventilator fan) the bathroom has almost permanent ice on he inside of the windows.

Youthful endurance was having the bath in cold water because there was no hot. Or in my case shower: I always found a cold bath rather painful unless it's of a size to swim in.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 20th, 2018, 10:24 am

panamagold wrote:
Get yourself checked.

Thanks for your concern, but for the avoidance of doubt (and in case anyone is really thinking that I may have something wrong with me..), my posts on this subject have been written with my tongue at least part-way into my cheek, and whilst I do admit to feeling a little chillier than I was just a couple of short weeks ago, I'm not at deaths-door through hypothermia just yet....

Thanks for the genuine concern though, and I'm a little bit ashamed, if I'm honest, that I wasn't a bit clearer on this from the outset...

It'll soon be Christmas, mind.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”