Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Sir Kenny Dalglish

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Sir Kenny Dalglish

Postby kiloran » June 8th, 2018, 10:54 pm

That sounds good, doesn't it

--kiloran

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Sir Kenny Dalglish

Postby Dod101 » June 8th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Bloody ridiculous.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 9th, 2018, 6:16 am

kiloran wrote:
That sounds good, doesn't it

Fantastic news.

Even ignoring (but how can we?) the footballing legacy that Kenny delivered over a lifetime of service to the game, and Liverpool especially, the fact that he was able to carry out the community work he did, and continues to do, following the Hillsborough tragedy raises him to a status in my mind that very, very few people will reach.

The magnitude of that tragedy on the Liverpool community cannot ever be overstated, especially given the very long-running legal cases surrounding the event that have only very recently come to an end.

I'm amazed that he was even able to continue in the game after witnessing both that and the Heysel tragedy, but the way he's handled himself since, and the amount of work he's done holding families together after Hillsborough deserves nothing less than the reward he's now achieved.

Did you know that as well as the above, he's also raised over £10million for improved cancer care on Merseyside?

A fabulous player, manager, but above all, a fabulous man.

Arise Sir Kenny!

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announ ... -announced

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 9th, 2018, 11:13 am

It's a bloody demotion... and does that make him Sir King Kenny or King Sir Kenny?

Apparently when he picked up the envelope he thought it was a tax bill...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2018, 1:57 pm

When I said bloody ridiculous I was not aiming particularly at him but the honours system in general. It has now been so devalued that it is pretty well meaningless. I would love to be offered something so That I could turn it down.

OTOH they seem to have given business quite a few knighthoods. Douglas Flint (ex Chairman of HSBC), JIm Ratcliffe, Chairman of Ineos and Tim Waterstone, founder of the eponymous book chain.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 9th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Dod101 wrote:When I said bloody ridiculous I was not aiming particularly at him but the honours system in general. It has now been so devalued that it is pretty well meaningless. I would love to be offered something so That I could turn it down.

OTOH they seem to have given business quite a few knighthoods. Douglas Flint (ex Chairman of HSBC), JIm Ratcliffe, Chairman of Ineos and Tim Waterstone, founder of the eponymous book chain.

Dod

I agree to a great extent. Automatic honours for bosses and civil servants who have just done their job and served their time is absolutely not on. Mark Carne (chief exec of Network Rail) got his CBE for "services to the rail industry" and I can't see anything truly exceptional that he has achieved in the 4 years he's been doing the job. And I can't see anything else in his life that appears to merit an honour.

Honours should be for stand-out achievements, and particularly for work in the community (for which Dalglish's honour is well merited)

--kiloran

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 9th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Dod101 wrote:When I said bloody ridiculous I was not aiming particularly at him but the honours system in general. It has now been so devalued that it is pretty well meaningless. I would love to be offered something so That I could turn it down.

Dod

Hmmm. I'm definitely not in favour of current sports men and women getting honoured. Like the Olympians. They've already got their gold medals.

The honours should go to people who haven't been recognised up till now. Like charity volunteers. An acquaintance was just recognised for doing 30 years service for a local charity - unpaid. That's what the honours system should be for.

But SIR Bradley Wiggins? For services to medical enhancements? Do me a favour.

HYD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Or Sir Andy Murray?

I did not know about Kenny Dalglish's charity work so I got that one wrong but I stand by my main criticism of the honours system in general. I also noted that David Green, former director at the Serious Fraud Office got a knighthood, without as far as I know any great success in that office.

Dod

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » June 9th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Dod101 wrote:Or Sir Andy Murray?

I did not know about Kenny Dalglish's charity work so I got that one wrong but I stand by my main criticism of the honours system in general. I also noted that David Green, former director at the Serious Fraud Office got a knighthood, without as far as I know any great success in that office.

Dod

If you were to look, I think you'd find that Andy Murray has done considerably more for charities and good causes than the vast majority of those old boy network types who generally get their honours (and their preceding careers, for that matter) mainly because of who they know. I wonder how many would have got where they did without the start and favourable passage they were given? That, to me, is what has always devalued the honours system. Having said that, Andy Murray has only been in a position to have such a positive influence because he happened to be an exceptional tennis player - but at least he has used his standing to good effect.

Sadly, having one of these honours says nothing about how truly merited it is and so it detracts a little from the achievement of those who have been awarded one for doing something really worthy.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 11th, 2018, 10:37 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Or Sir Andy Murray?

Dod

If you were to look, I think you'd find that Andy Murray has done considerably more for charities and good causes than the vast majority of those old boy network types who generally get their honours (and their preceding careers, for that matter) mainly because of who they know. I wonder how many would have got where they did without the start and favourable passage they were given? That, to me, is what has always devalued the honours system. Having said that, Andy Murray has only been in a position to have such a positive influence because he happened to be an exceptional tennis player - but at least he has used his standing to good effect.

Sadly, having one of these honours says nothing about how truly merited it is and so it detracts a little from the achievement of those who have been awarded one for doing something really worthy.

Hi CP,

I kinda agree with what you are saying but the difference is that the man on the street who is doing voluntary charity work is in a much differnet position to a someone who has £100m in the bank and decides to do a bit of a charity work.

Actually, I wasn't the one who brought up Andy Murray, but I think your final paragraph above pretty much says it all.

Best,

HYD

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2018, 8:45 pm

kiloran wrote:
That sounds good, doesn't it..

Sounds good?

It looks even better -

Great stuff....

Cheers,