Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Coleyfish

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Coleyfish

Postby Clitheroekid » February 9th, 2018, 12:37 am

I was also sorry to hear this news. I enjoyed his independence of thought and his quirky posts.

But as he hadn't been a regular poster for some time he'd to some extent gone off my radar, and It made me realise how quickly we forget people who stop posting, even if they were once prolific and high quality posters.

It's quite sad to think that a fair number of Fools that were once massive contributors to TMF must also have died, but that their passing has gone unnoticed, or at least unremarked.

I often have the feeling that regular posters here are people I know personally. It does feel like a small community, and I can predict how individuals will react to a comment. They each have a distinct personality, and I have a mental image of them to the extent that I almost feel I'd recognise them if they were stood next to me in a pub.

But news like this is a reminder that generally we have absolutely no idea who our fellow posters are and that if one of us were to pop our clogs the chances are that nobody on LF would know. I think (maybe I'm wrong, and glad to be corrected) that personal relationships between posters are fairly rare, and the communication of the news by Snowbadger is very much the exception.

I'm not really sure whether this is a good or a bad thing. On the one hand I suppose I might be rather more cautious about expressing views if I knew they were being read by people who knew me personally. On the other hand the sort of humanity shown by snowbadger is only possible where there is a genuine community, as against one that exists solely in cyberspace.

Anyway, whatever the abstractions LF is certainly sufficiently real to me that I do feel a sense of loss, and I hope snowbadger will let Coley's family know how much affection he was held in by the rest of us.

nimnarb
Lemon Slice

Postby nimnarb » February 9th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Just seen this, so sorry..................RIP Coley. You were quite a character, spoke your mind. I liked that. Many years ago on TMF he gave me some advice and was going to possibly hire him for counseling but it never happened. My thoughts and wishes go to his family.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » February 10th, 2018, 8:55 am

Sad news, he was one of the the more memorable and entertaining characters on the TMF boards I frequented.

Here's to you Coley

BH

Fatrav
Lemon Pip

Postby Fatrav » February 11th, 2018, 10:48 am

Sad very sad. One of the great fools.

terminal7
Lemon Pip

Postby terminal7 » February 11th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Old school.

sg31
Lemon Slice

Postby sg31 » February 12th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Sad news.

Bink333
2 Lemon pips

Postby Bink333 » December 6th, 2018, 12:44 pm

As a fellow IFA, I much admired Coley's approach to the 'helping others' ethic espoused by these and TMF.

People pay fees for that knowledge, and experience, and to openly share in the face of some contempt for IFAs (from elements the self-investing community) spoke volumes for the man.

He'll be sadly missed, I'm sure by his clients and work colleagues as well as his family, and of course his online admirers.

I count myself as one of the latter.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”