Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Empty aluminium beer cans in the "brown bag" please.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Empty aluminium beer cans in the "brown bag" please.

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 12th, 2019, 2:56 pm

One point of view could be that Norway and Sweden lead the way in recycling?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business- ... erent-bags

Another that Japan doesn't?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asi ... ng-plastic

I would like to see some improvements in the UK's ability to recycle it's waste. I'm aware that my own "waste footprint" wouldn't be something I'd want at the top of my Life's CV.

I took a trip to the local tip yesterday. It's a trip I don't like to make that often as the "tip police" have an innate habit of irritating. As I left a sign indicated that the amount of waste not going to land fill was 100%. Where's it going then? The Far East & incinerators?

http://www.recycling-guide.org.uk/facts.html

It would appear I've turned into quite a dirty old man :(

Hmmm :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Empty aluminium beer cans in the "brown bag" please.

Postby bungeejumper » April 12th, 2019, 4:47 pm

The wife and I try our best to recycle wisely, but our local authority doesn't make it easy. It was only last summer that the buggers started accepting kitchen plastics for recycling at all - until then, it had been plastic bottles only. Not a good start. Nowadays we're quite alarmed at the rate at which our plastics bin fills up - and somewhat sobered by the thought that, until last year, most of it was going to landfill, by order of the council. So now it 's probably going to west Africa or Indonesia, of course. Problem solved, and give the county council a pay rise.

Then there was the cardboard waste. Our council still won't accept card for recycling if it's been in contact with food at any time, so that theoretically puts paid to pizza boxes, frozen fish boxes, or the card wrappers that come with all sorts of prepared foods. We openly break the rules (shock horror) by tipping boxes that may have contained confectionery or packs of yoghurt, but promise you won't tell anybody?

Electrical goods have become a nightmare. Are they electrical, or do they contain copper (of course they do!), or maybe other metals? That's three separate bins, if you don't mind - or four if you count the time when I got bawled out for dumping a piece of pipe into the copper bin when it had a brass fixing attached to it. "Oi, I could fine you for that," the cheery operative said, just before I rammed a lump of lead pipe down his gullet. (All right, maybe I only did that in my imagination.....)

Printer toner cartridges? Fine, as long as I unwrap each one individually before I put it in the skip. But god help me if I try to protect my lungs (and my car's interior) by keeping the filthy spent cartridges in their plastic wrapping or their cardboard sleeves (see above).

And don't even get me started on garden waste. According to our council, if I put my prunings from the flower beds into the green bins (for which we pay £50 a year per bin, BTW), then that's all right. But if I cut a bunch of daffodils and put it in a vase in the house, then it's kitchen waste, and it goes into the landfill bin because it isn't garden waste any more. Same with veg from my garden. If it's got earth on it, it's garden waste, and if it hasn't then it's food waste, which the council doesn't collect so it goes to landfill. "It's more than my job's worth, mate. I could fine you for that..... "

In case you're wondering, yes, we do keep a compost bin, but not for fresh food which will only attract the rats that the council doesn't exterminate any more. :evil:

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 12th, 2019, 5:31 pm

I thought that our Council was not very helpful with recycling but it is easy compared to BJ's story. Just to pick on a couple of items. Our council will not recycle plastic wrapping so it goes to the landfill. I have a very large amount of it since many fresh vegetables amongst many other items are plastic wrapped.

As for garden waste we are able to chuck everything including food waste in to the same bin. BTW how does the council know that the flowers have been cut and brought into the house and how can that suddenly become kitchen waste? How could they know anyway?

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 12th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Don't ever try to get rid of plasterboard in Hampshire. A sheet of plasterboard cost about 7 quid to buy. To dispose of a sheet or part of a sheet of plasterboard costs £10 !!!

John

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » April 12th, 2019, 6:24 pm

So which bag doas a Coke can go in , when empty?

https://www.wimp.com/removing-a-coke-can-from-the-coke/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 12th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Actually, I'm thinking of starting a local collecting bin for full beer cans. ;)

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 12th, 2019, 7:58 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Actually, I'm thinking of starting a local collecting bin for full beer cans. ;)

BJ

So I recycle my beer, and leave it with you.

Don't you ever have a problem with your recyclers missing the can after they've had one too many?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 13th, 2019, 12:33 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:[So I recycle my beer, and leave it with you.

Don't you ever have a problem with your recyclers missing the can after they've had one too many?

Look, beer is beer, urine is urine, and then in the indeterminate area in between, there's John Smiths. Not even the slugs in my garden will drink that - I have to resort to Sainsburys cheapo brands to catch them in my slug traps. :)

Of course, I might be being just a little too hasty. When Poundland start selling four packs for a quid, I'll give them a try.

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 15th, 2019, 10:29 am

bungeejumper wrote: "Oi, I could fine you for that," the cheery operative said, just before I rammed a lump of lead pipe down his gullet. (All right, maybe I only did that in my imagination.....)

You are Bill Bryson and I claim my five pounds.

didds

lyndhurst25

Postby lyndhurst25 » April 22nd, 2019, 1:03 pm

I've recently tried out Morrisons supermarket's can and bottle recycling machine trial and it's so much faff that it's hardly worth it.

You're supposed to get 100 More Points for each can or bottle recycled, equivalent to 10p off your shopping. However about 3/4 of the stuff I took was rejected.

Slightly squashed can or plastic bottle - machine can't read barcode - REJECTED.
Aluminium deodorant cans, that contain much more valuable metal than flimsy drink cans - REJECTED.
Multipack cans or bottles with no barcode - REJECTED.
PET plastic (the same stuff as drinks bottles) shampoo bottles, liquid soap bottles, etc. - REJECTED.

You can only recycle 20 cans/bottles per day, but twenty 2l lemonade bottles for example is quite a big volume to carry if you can't squash them flat at all. The coupons that it spits out expire at the end of the month too. And then you try and load the points onto your More card only to find that it has expired because you haven't used it for 12 months, all your points have been lost and you have to apply for a new one.

I can't see it catching on.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 22nd, 2019, 9:47 pm

I feel uncomfortable with the waste I create. We consume a lot of fruit and it's always sold in clear plastic containers or polythene bags.

Will there be an outlet brave enough to dispense the stuff into customers own reusable containers? It'll require more staff but is that so bad?
People care about this, the retailers should be gutsy enough to be a bit radical.

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » April 22nd, 2019, 9:57 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Don't ever try to get rid of plasterboard in Hampshire. A sheet of plasterboard cost about 7 quid to buy. To dispose of a sheet or part of a sheet of plasterboard costs £10 !!!

John

It’s because it produces toxic hydrogen sulphide when it breaks down, most skip companies don’t allow you to put it in skips either.

Best thing to do is just shove the excess in studwall cavities as you go, add a bit of sound insulation.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 22nd, 2019, 10:01 pm

Leothebear wrote:I feel uncomfortable with the waste I create. We consume a lot of fruit and it's always sold in clear plastic containers or polythene bags.

Will there be an outlet brave enough to dispense the stuff into customers own reusable containers? It'll require more staff but is that so bad?
People care about this, the retailers should be gutsy enough to be a bit radical.

Erm?

Both supermarkets and greengrocers around here sell the majority of fruit loose, without packaging. Exceptions being the smallest fruits (mostly berries) where packaging is a practicality.

Where are you that's devoid of such shops as I consider normal?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 22nd, 2019, 10:23 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Leothebear wrote:I feel uncomfortable with the waste I create. We consume a lot of fruit and it's always sold in clear plastic containers or polythene bags.

Erm?

Both supermarkets and greengrocers around here sell the majority of fruit loose, without packaging. Exceptions being the smallest fruits (mostly berries) where packaging is a practicality.

Where are you that's devoid of such shops as I consider normal?

Yes it's berries mainly but everything else except bananas are in polythene bags. And I'm in the wilds of West Sussex.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » April 22nd, 2019, 11:12 pm

You can just rip the plastic bag open when you are at the till and leave it behind, that way it becomes the supermarkets problem - if more people did that Im sure they would start to revise the packaging they use.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 23rd, 2019, 7:35 am

Archtronics wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Don't ever try to get rid of plasterboard in Hampshire. A sheet of plasterboard cost about 7 quid to buy. To dispose of a sheet or part of a sheet of plasterboard costs £10 !!!

John

It’s because it produces toxic hydrogen sulphide when it breaks down, most skip companies don’t allow you to put it in skips either.

Best thing to do is just shove the excess in studwall cavities as you go, add a bit of sound insulation.

Nice idea!

Fortunately I found a local bag grab company that charges the same for plasterboard as other waste and managed to play 3D Tetris with the waste board to produce a metre square solid plasterboard cube that filled a one ton grab bag!

John

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 23rd, 2019, 6:19 pm

Lanark wrote:You can just rip the plastic bag open when you are at the till and leave it behind, that way it becomes the supermarkets problem - if more people did that Im sure they would start to revise the packaging they use.

That's actually a really brilliant idea! I'm already refusing to buy fruit and vegetables if sold in plastic boxes and there's one supermarket that sells bananas in plastic boxes that are so sturdy I once thought of using them as containers at home.

With all bags now biodegradable and recyclable cardboard, there's no need for any of this junk.

Steve

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 23rd, 2019, 9:48 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Lanark wrote:You can just rip the plastic bag open when you are at the till and leave it behind, that way it becomes the supermarkets problem - if more people did that Im sure they would start to revise the packaging they use.

That's actually a really brilliant idea! I'm already refusing to buy fruit and vegetables if sold in plastic boxes and there's one supermarket that sells bananas in plastic boxes that are so sturdy I once thought of using them as containers at home.

With all bags now biodegradable and recyclable cardboard, there's no need for any of this junk.

Steve

Dependant upon your point of view I have been fortunate to live within walking distance of a very large supermarket for 25 years. My visits are more akin to a commando raid. Arrive, acquire strategic purchase, pay and leave. Recently I think I got stuck behind those two old dears who stop in the entranceway and survey the shop. As I waited [so patiently] behind them I noticed I could take my own container in for fresh fish.

https://www.packagingnews.co.uk/top-sto ... 27-04-2018

I didn't acquire fish. But I did notice that the triple pack of Penguins I purchased would have lasted well in a game of pass the parcel.

AiY

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”