Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Nearly there...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nigelpm
Lemon Pip

Re: Nearly there...

Postby nigelpm » November 7th, 2016, 8:26 pm

If Trump wins tomorrow the outrage/meltdown on Facebook/Twitter will be multiples of Brexit - hard hat time for sure.

Market has got it almost a Hillary given (83%) but after Brexit I have much less confidence in markets! Worth a few quid for sure. Reckon it goes very close. She probably just edges it.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 7th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Snorvey wrote:Trump v Clinton.

Filmmaker Michael Moore (Fahrenheit 9/11 & Bowling for Columbine) was on the telly the other night.

He's definitely not a Clinton fan, & even less a.Trump fan, but his main message was that maybe it's time to give a female a go at running the most powerful country in the world?

I watched Moore last week on the CNBC "Fast Money" show. I was really surprised that he would show up for such a rabidly capitalistic show and station. So kudos for him for doing that, as I always thought he was a fat dufus.

Anyway, he was interesting when explaining the Trump phenomenon. He spends most of his time in the rust belt (OH, MI, WI, IN, PA etc) and those are the kinds of traditional blue-collar union places that vote Dem. But they're as angry as all hell (cue Brexit analogy) and see Clinton as establishment (which she is) and Trump as an outsider (which he is, and for fairly good reasons).

Looks like Trump has Florida and Ohio locked down - two key swing States. But he needs more - PA, ME, CO and at least one other. I think he will fall short. My portfolio certainly hopes so.

JustLetOneOff

Postby JustLetOneOff » November 7th, 2016, 8:51 pm

When will results start coming in? I'm assuming there will be an exit poll. I'm not normally interested in politics but this has me gripped.

JustLetOneOff

Postby JustLetOneOff » November 7th, 2016, 9:33 pm

£113 million bet on the next president at Betfair. Odds on a Trump win are 4.5 /1 They have lengthened in the last day or too. Just like the odds on Brexit. Do they have an exit poll?

nigelpm
Lemon Pip

Postby nigelpm » November 7th, 2016, 9:40 pm

JustLetOneOff wrote:£113 million bet on the next president at Betfair. Odds on a Trump win are 4.5 /1 They have lengthened in the last day or too. Just like the odds on Brexit. Do they have an exit poll?

Yeah it's a huge amount of money. EU-ref did £120m'ish so it will easily surpass that come tomorrow.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » November 8th, 2016, 11:18 am

Particularly if Trump refuses to accept the result

The Remain crowd will grab him like a shot.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 8th, 2016, 12:55 pm

JustLetOneOff wrote:When will results start coming in? I'm assuming there will be an exit poll. I'm not normally interested in politics but this has me gripped.

I don't know about gripped, more terrified, for me.

Most heavily armed country in the world at risk of going into meltdown, whoever wins. Wonderful!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 8th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 8th, 2016, 1:56 pm

Snorvey wrote:Not sure. I think because the polls are across several zones, there's no one definitive exit poll.

No official results will be announced until after the polls close on the West Coast, which is 4 am GMT. (The US clocks went back just this week-end so the 8 hour difference is maintained).

Apparently the officials think that West Coast voters might otherwise be influenced if they see the results coming out on the East Coast.

Obviously the Eastern states will announce first, and that is where most of the important swing States are, like Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin. So we might know quite quickly after 4 am. If not, it will come down to the western swing States like Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Washington.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » November 8th, 2016, 3:38 pm

According to the Telegraph, although no official results are announced until all polling is finished, TV predictions are made on the basis of exit polls unless a state is too close to call. So we should get expected results from east coast states at 11pm our time, and the winner is usually known by 3-4am UK time.
Of course, in previous USA elections exit polls have been very good predictors, but this election may be more like Brexit where exit polls initially misled Farage into conceding defeat at 11pm.

We'll be watching it all through our fingers from behind the sofa. If Trump wins, the immediate effect is that we'll all be poorer as the world economy stutters - and that's the best outcome! If Hillary wins, I wouldn't be surprised if there's pretty serious violence post-election if Trump talks about "rigging" and "election being stolen" rather than accepting a woman defeated him.

It's like the old Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times".

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 8th, 2016, 4:14 pm

zico wrote:Of course, in previous USA elections exit polls have been very good predictors, but this election may be more like Brexit where exit polls initially misled Farage into conceding defeat at 11pm.

Not according to the NY Times article I linked to

nigelpm
Lemon Pip

Postby nigelpm » November 8th, 2016, 7:12 pm

zico wrote:Of course, in previous USA elections exit polls have been very good predictors, but this election may be more like Brexit where exit polls initially misled Farage into conceding defeat at 11pm.

There were no exit polls for the EU Referendum FWIW.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » November 8th, 2016, 8:16 pm

This is the Telegraph link about timings of results.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/what- ... the-night/

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”