Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Haoma,Gilgongo,Raasu,Wasron,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby scotia » July 29th, 2019, 10:23 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:The water looks oddly yellow (middle pic)
Is that some mineral in the water (or Irn Bru)??

Peat stained. After a good rainfall most highland rivers look like this.
(PS I went to submit this, but Snorvey beat me to it)

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 29th, 2019, 10:30 am

scotia wrote:Peat stained. After a good rainfall most highland rivers look like this.

One of the things that makes diving the Scottish lochs a world class experience.

The peat blocks out sunlight, so it's like diving in the middle of the night (bring a torch!)

The conditions become similar (light-wise) to much deeper water, so species usually found in deeper, darker water can be found in the comparitive diver-accessible shallows.

(Salt water lochs of course. The fresh water ones are just dark and cold.)

VRD

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 29th, 2019, 10:54 am

Aha! Looks like a splendid place to chill out on a hot day

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 29th, 2019, 11:20 am

The peat makes it very acidic. Common to most of Blighty's moorland areas. Tastes good: when I lived in Sheffield I used to walk out into the Peaks with a couple of big but empty waterbottles and fill them from the streams - learned the distinct tastes of many different streams that way (though perhaps excluding the really brown ones). And that despite Sheffield having the nicest tap water I've encountered anywhere.

Where Snorvey's pics look wrong to me is the lack of that Jock headline feature, the clouds of midges.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » July 29th, 2019, 11:47 am

So now I have a few moments to say what happened on Ben Wyvis, causing me to retreat gracefully from the hillside.

The car park at the start of the climb was baking hot with hardly a breath of wind - and that was at 9.00am. We got kitted up and headed off the fairly long path to the foot of the climb. It was still hot, calm and sunny, so I was looking forward to the cooler temperatures as we ascended. The climb itself started as fairly easy and as it got higher it got steeper. As is quite common, folk had taken the effort to lay large stones to from a staircase of sorts on the very steepest of sections.

In the early parts, the path follows the north side which, at the time, was quite sheltered from the 'breeze' but as we got higher it followed a path to the west side (the right side the 1st picture). Here the wind was quite ferocious and coming across you. It was probably being accelerated by the glen's slopes and several times I had to stop and brace myself and wait for it to subside. What compounded the effect for me was that the narrow stone staircase had some fairly steep drops on either side - not straight down, but almost. Steep enough so that you wouldn't stop tumbling through the rocks until you hit the bottom.

So, at about 500 feet from the top, I sat down for a bit.....*

.....and took the phone out to check the wind forecast for 1-2 hours hence. It was only going to get worse.

I really didn't fancy getting injured and helicoptered off the hill (English accent at the ready for the rescue authorities), so I waived the wifey on and she and another guy climbed to the first summit of An Cabar. The summit of Wyvis is slightly higher than An Cabar only a few hundred feet onwards through a dip. It was in the dip where the gale was really howling and the pair of the decided not to go on and came back down to meet me.

So we all lived to tell another tale. Wyvis 1 Snorvey 0. But the hill will always be up for a rematch.

*In this picture, follow the stream back to the first very small clump of pine trees to the right of the stream in picture 1. That's roughly from where this pic was taken.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 29th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Snorvey wrote:So we all lived to tell another tale. Wyvis 1 Snorvey 0. But the hill will always be up for a rematch.

Or, to put it another way, Snorvey 1 Death 0.

But as you say, the bu**er's always up for a rematch :evil:

VRD

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » July 29th, 2019, 1:09 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Where Snorvey's pics look wrong to me is the lack of that Jock headline feature, the clouds of midges.

I anticipated this by buying a midge head net type protective thing...but I'll swear to God the midge was few and far between. Sitting outside at the hotel later on at night there was a few and we went in around 10 ish, but not the swarms I have experienced in the past. It was the same at Lochnagar. In my last visit a few years ago, I got there (on the motorbike), took off my helmet.....before putting it straight back on again and heading the hell out of there, such was the intensity of the swarm. I had the same experience just down the road in Glen Affric a year or two after that.

Maybe 2019 is just not the year of the midge. Or....gulp...it's a sign of climate change.

I did stop on the flatter bit to adjust my sack <ahem> and observed a rather large horsefly that had landed on my knee. As I had both hands occupied, I ignored it until I felt a sharp pain like someone had stuck a needle in my knee.

'Ooyah BASTARD' I exclaimed. I swear I saw it baring it's teeth at me as it chomped down for a second time on my white skin.

And that was the sum of all the insects feeding on me. Of course, if I hadn't taken the midge net it would have been completely different.

servodude
Lemon Slice

Postby servodude » July 29th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:
I did stop on the flatter bit to adjust my sack <ahem> and observed a rather large horsefly that had landed on my knee. As I had both hands occupied, I ignored it until I felt a sharp pain like someone had stuck a needle in my knee.

'Ooyah BASTARD' I exclaimed. I swear I saw it baring it's teeth at me as it chomped down for a second time on my white skin.

And that was the sum of all the insects feeding on me. Of course, if I hadn't taken the midge net it would have been completely different.

Two wheeled travel can be a bit of a challenge when the beasties get involved.
I live in Melbourne, Aus, had a really interesting commute one day when a huntsman spider wandered from under my saddle on to my thigh. Thankfully he was about the size of my hand so there wasn't much danger of him getting up the bike shorts; bit I did wobble a bit as I tried to convince him to let go.

-sd

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 29th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Can't match the huntsman spider from this summer in blighty. But I had a "whoops" moment just last week when gardening, when I felt something I expected to be plant debris in my hair, and only after several attempts to brush it off found a bee in my hand.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » August 1st, 2019, 9:32 pm

Shenzhen: City of the Future

Aerial Tour of Shenzhen, China -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X0Q1d6Jwk

Information about the light show - https://www.asiaundiscovered.com/shenzhen-light-show/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 1st, 2019, 10:21 pm

5 thousand population just over 50 years ago to near 13 million now.

To quote Hans Gruber:

'And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer'

Pendrainllwyn
2 Lemon pips

Postby Pendrainllwyn » August 1st, 2019, 11:58 pm

Quite impressive. Not bad for an "Emerging Market". But only fourth largest city in China. London's population 8M.

Pendrainllwyn

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 5th, 2019, 6:28 pm

It was a beautiful afternoon, so I set off on my bicycle, heading down the old railway line to Kirkintilloch. I then switched to the Forth & Clyde Canal towpath, and headed eastwards through Twechar, Auchinstarry and finally to Craigmarloch. (remember to pronounce the "ch" correctly in the Scottish place names :) ). On my journey I saw many canal boats, but it was the name of this one that took my attention
OK - the connection is a bit geeky, but may be of interest. In 1834 John Scott Russell, on the Union Canal (which joins the Forth & Clyde Canal), noticed a wave which parted from the prow of a boat which had halted - and this wave travelled along the canal at about 8mph without apparently changing its shape, although diminishing its amplitude after several miles. This became known as a Soliton - and nowadays there is some interest in using Soliton shaped pulses for long distance high speed data transmission over Optical Fibres.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm

The 'Silver Spitfire' landed at Lossiemouth yesterday en route to the rest of the world.

In this pic, a Typhoon manages to barge into the picture and mess things up

We also had the Red Arrows in yesterday before they headed off to the USA.

https://twitter.com/RoyalAirForce/statu ... erica-tour

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 9th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Lossie Typhoon shadows the Russian Bear last week

https://www.forres-gazette.co.uk/news/g ... ar-181485/

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 10th, 2019, 7:29 pm

I travelled far to exotic foreign parts last week, and took this picture of an Onager in the desert

Well - actually it was in Chester Zoo, but that counts as a foreign land, and there were some pretty exotic displays of endangered animals.
For anyone who doesn't watch TV, this is the Zoo that appears on the Secret Life of the Zoo.
We (myself and spouse) were most impressed - and we managed to fit the visit in on a dry sunny day (Thursday) sandwiched between two pouring wet days which we spent travelling up and down the motorway.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 13th, 2019, 11:08 pm

I was off in Fife today, and visited St Monans on the Fife coast where I went on holiday with my parents about 65 years ago. The ship builders have gone, and now yachts outnumber the fishing boats at the harbour. But the Tower remains - only it now has become a pretend windmill.

In my youth, the Tower was an empty shell with no cap, and no windmill arms. Nobody seemed to know what it had been used for. Then along came some industrial archeologists, and excavated the remains of neighbouring coal-fired salt pans. Apparently the Tower was a windmill used to pump water from the sea into the salt pans.

These saltpans were constructed in the late 18th century, but only operated for around 40 years until changes in taxation combined with competition from English rock salt and cheap foreign imports rendered them uneconomic.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 15th, 2019, 9:44 am

Apologies for the poor picture quality - mobile phone, through double glazing etc etc
So I lifted the kitchen blind this morning and......oh hello there....

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter

Postby PinkDalek » August 15th, 2019, 10:16 am

Snorvey wrote:So I lifted the kitchen blind this morning and......oh hello there....

Forget the soon to be ex Hawk, you said elsewhere you had no glasses so wouldn't have spotted it was about to be eaten by a Sim lookalike.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 16th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Elgin train station has a busy spell as the British Army loads a large quantity of Foxhounds and Landrovers for transport to their exercise area.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... -exercise/

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”