Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to kiloran,Anonymous,Howard,Gostevie,JuanDB, for Donating to support the site

A diary of a well busted leg.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: A diary of a well busted leg.

Postby redsturgeon » April 17th, 2021, 11:45 am

This is more of a cliff hanger than LoD

John

servodude
Lemon Quarter

Postby servodude » April 17th, 2021, 11:52 am

redsturgeon wrote:This is more of a cliff hanger than LoD

John

Snorvey is H? (Sorry.. . "The fourth man")!?

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 17th, 2021, 12:39 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Come on...when's the next instalment?

John

Give him time. He might be out there enjoying fine bracing spring weather on some peak!

I look forward to the next episode, but when it's ready, not before!

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » April 17th, 2021, 1:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Come on...when's the next instalment?

John

Give him time. He might be out there enjoying fine bracing spring weather on some peak!

I look forward to the next episode, but when it's ready, not before!

If you go to bbc iplayer you can download all episodes for free.

Seriously though, it's coming soon. Patience! :D

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 18th, 2021, 9:22 am

redsturgeon wrote:This is more of a cliff hanger than LoD

John

I see a problem with the plot. How is he going to get from the forest track to hanging over a cliff while immobilised with a broken extremity?

An avalanche maybe? Kidnapped by sex starved nubile aliens?

All will be revealed in the next thrilling episode.

nimnarb
Lemon Slice

Postby nimnarb » April 18th, 2021, 2:29 pm

This is now becoming too much....,

Consoled myself by watching cricket and saw some marvellous leg-breaks to keep me going. :twisted:

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 18th, 2021, 3:09 pm

nimnarb wrote:This is now becoming too much....,

Consoled myself by watching cricket and saw some marvellous leg-breaks to keep me going. :twisted:

That's a bit of a silly short leg in the midst off his wicket tale.

nimnarb
Lemon Slice

Postby nimnarb » April 18th, 2021, 5:20 pm

You masochistic bastard, inclined to come over and break your other leg :lol:

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » April 19th, 2021, 10:34 am

…….I was getting a little chilly now, lying there on the ice. They leg was feeling ok as long as I held it to my chest. I could turn my phone on occasionally and it gave me just enough charge to be able to check the time – but no more. I had been there for more than two and a half hours and was starting to imagine hearing vehicles coming up the track and I got all excited........but it was just wind in the trees. I was having audio mirages.

Not long after that, two mountain bikers appeared in the distance and headed towards me. Other than the missus, they were the first humans I’d seen all day.

‘Surely not’ I said to myself. ‘I know the NHS is strapped for cash, but this can’t be the emergency response’.

I breathed a sigh of relief. It wasn’t. They were just out for a cycle – but they did confirm there was an ambulance at the bottom of the road and the crew were standing beside a padlocked access gate.

‘Hang in there’ was their cheery parting call.

I groaned.

Eventually, in a blaze of glory, my rescuers came over the hill to save me. Sadly, not a helicopter or a dog sled, but a Police 4x4 Land Rover containing 2 policemen and 2 paramedics.

I gingerly waved at them and they turned the vehicle around and pulled up beside me. Now the really painful bit was coming.

First off, the 2 paramedics were checking me over, asking me basic questions....but then came the gas and air....'it takes about 30 seconds to work and wears off in the same time, so keep inhaling as much as you want' as Paramedic 1 thrust the mouthpiece into my gob.

I breathed deeply and quickly....and boy did it work. I could still feel the pain, but you just didn't care. It was a remarkable feeling. With that, they proceeded to lift me into the Land Rover on a very slippery surface with my still clutching my knee to my chest. I managed to grab the interior handle with my left hand and haul myself into the back seat with their assistance.

Well, that wasn't so bad. It could have been worse.

The issue now was there was no room in the vehicle for one of the policemen. So Policeman 2 decided to walk back down, cutting across a big bend in the road by going through the trees and deeper foliage and snow. We were almost going at the same speed as him and I recall looking through the Land Rovers window at him about 20 yards away stomping through the undergrowth. I thought that if I had my phone in my hand at the moment, I could have recorded that and put it on the internet as some shaky footage of a uniformed Scottish Sasquatch. The Americans have Bigfoot. We have Flatfoot. I smiled at my own humour and blamed the Nitrious that I was frantically breathing in.

I looked ahead to see the end of the track and an ambulance waiting for me. Stage 2 coming up.....

I was now holding my leg at the knee with my right hand and supporting the ankle with my right, I gripping the Nitrious mouthpiece with my teeth like a terrier..

Getting out of the Land Rover and onto the stretcher was ok actually, but I'm now lying on my back with the same 2 handed grip of the leg

'Can you straighten your leg for me?' Paramedic 2 asked. Still breathing the gas in, I shook my head. 3 and a half hours my leg had been like that now. It felt as if rigor mortis had set in. I asked if I could sit rather than lie down, but that was a no-no. So they strapped me in as best they could and set about securing the ambulance for the fairly short journey to the local hospital.

It was then there was a knock on the ambulance door. Paramedic 1 opened it and it was the missus, quite clearly in more shock than me. I smiled and told her I was fine. Paramedic 1 apologised and said no-one was allowed the vehicle or the hospital for that matter. I told her I was fine again and that I would call her later and the door was closed once again.

Meanwhile, Paramedic 2 was preparing some drugs for me. Now your talking.

It was Paracetamol.

'Eh? 'I have a broken leg, not a headache' I said. He laughed and said that they would sort me out when I got to the hospital. I lay back and continued to draw on the Nitro like an Asthmatic 40 a day smoker. It'll do for now.

Now Scottish backroads are not exactly billiard table smooth and ambulances are not really close to Bentley Continentals for comfort, so the journey was....errr.....bumpy. And I felt it alright.

The biggest bump though was they were wheeling me out of the ambulance and into A&E – and they warned me in advance too. I thought why is there a bump there. Surely in the 21st century, we could engineer that 'bump' out of existence?

But I was there. I had survived the forest track, the police land rover, the ambulance and I was now safely in A&E with many faces looking down on me. But something was in the back of my mind.

Something terrible.

Please don't send me to Aberdeen. Please. I beg of you.

Next: The conclusion of day one. 'Here's what can go wrong!'

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 19th, 2021, 10:46 am

Well worth the wait :D

I have two questions though:

1. Why no ketamine? All the the 999/Ambulance?Paramedic/Emergency programmes the other half watches swear by the stuff.

2. When is the next instalment?

John

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » April 19th, 2021, 11:24 am

1. Why no ketamine? All the the 999/Ambulance?Paramedic/Emergency programmes the other half watches swear by the stuff.

I dunno. What I was given was all I got. It did the job up to a point.

2. When is the next instalment?

Soon.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » April 19th, 2021, 11:31 am

I don't know how old i was at the time, too young to remember, when I tripped over a piece of metal sticking out of a bed frame in my parents' house. The cut on the front of my ankle required me to be taken to hospital to have stitches in my foot, I have the scar. Although very painful at the time the experience taught me the difference between my left leg and right leg.

Years later when i was old enough to remember - I can still recall the incident - i was running around in the local park when i tripped over a clump of bamboo stalks/shoots. One of the bamboo stalks penetrated my right leg, requiring me to be taken to hospital to have stitches put in, i have another scar. Not only was the experience very painful at the time but also it messed up my being able to differentiate between my left leg and right leg.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 20th, 2021, 9:48 am

What's wrong with Aberdeen?

I've never been there but it sounds very pleasant, in a somewhere I'd quite like to go but it's too much bother, sort of way.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » April 20th, 2021, 11:31 am

Aberdeen's alright. Helluva cold though - or it has been the times I've been there.

I should have been more specific - I meant Aberdeen Royal Infirmary - which is also nice, as hospitals go. It's just a long way away and the road isn't the best, particularly in winter. My fear was being shipped through there for the surgery, then having to go back on a regular basis for follow up consultations. Sitting in a car was is of the most uncomfortable things you can do with a broken leg - particulary going around corners, what with the weight of the cast and all that.

PS Aberdeen is ok, A bit dull looking, what with all the granite. Aberdeenshire on the other hand is spectacular.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 20th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Snorvey wrote:PS Aberdeen is ok, A bit dull looking, what with all the granite. Aberdeenshire on the other hand is spectacular.

Talking of granite, do Aberdonians get the same kind of literature we do about risks of radioactivity including radon in their homes?

Many areas around here have routine background levels a whole lot higher than is permitted to the (civil) nuclear industry.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 20th, 2021, 3:38 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Snorvey wrote:PS Aberdeen is ok, A bit dull looking, what with all the granite. Aberdeenshire on the other hand is spectacular.

Talking of granite, do Aberdonians get the same kind of literature we do about risks of radioactivity including radon in their homes?

Many areas around here have routine background levels a whole lot higher than is permitted to the (civil) nuclear industry.

Now Now - don't you know that what's natural is not nasty - and everything remotely associated with the nuclear industry is appallingly dangerous.
Getting slightly more serious, the Aberdeen granite problem is well known in old granite buildings - but Aberdeen itself is not in the highest radon emitting areas, although the rate rises significantly inland towards the Cairngorms. Snorvey is quite safe in Lossie!
See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/340104/HPA-RPD-051_for_website_with_security.pdf for Radon in Dwellings in Scotland. If I'm interpreting table C2 correctly, it states that out of 104000 dwellings in Aberdeen City, 240 were measured and 1 was at or above the Action Level. It doesn't look as if we are too concerned :roll:
In discussions on coping with radon in homes - by under-floor extraction - its normally your neck of the woods that gets attention. I don't know if it has significantly higher levels than in Scotland. But I agree with you - we seem to tolerate levels that would get a nuclear physics lab shut down!

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 21st, 2021, 11:40 am

scotia wrote: It doesn't look as if we are too concerned :roll:
In discussions on coping with radon in homes - by under-floor extraction - its normally your neck of the woods that gets attention. I don't know if it has significantly higher levels than in Scotland. But I agree with you - we seem to tolerate levels that would get a nuclear physics lab shut down!

Hmmm, there's a fine correlation. I wonder if it's the background radiation levels and radon exposure that have offered us better protection from Covid than the rest of the country?

Any similar areas around the world, where stats might be available?

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » April 21st, 2021, 10:17 pm

Reading your day 1 account, what I don't understand is why you fell over?

After all, you knew it was slippery and were being careful.

Did your mind wander?

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » April 22nd, 2021, 11:45 am

brightncheerful wrote:Reading your day 1 account, what I don't understand is why you fell over?

After all, you knew it was slippery and were being careful.

Did your mind wander?

It's an enigma right enough. I guess there is always a risk in everything we do, not matter what steps are taken to reduce it.

I guess in my case, I was just unlucky when a peice of ground that I thought to be grippy (going soley by the visual evidence I had) turned out not to be - quite the opposite in fact.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 22nd, 2021, 12:44 pm

Snorvey wrote:I guess in my case, I was just unlucky when a peice of ground that I thought to be grippy (going soley by the visual evidence I had) turned out not to be - quite the opposite in fact.

That's very trusting of you. Personally, I incline toward the view that the ground deliberately gave way in order to have a laugh at your expense. Honestly, there was nothing you could have done to avert it.

I had a similar experience while returning from the pub last year. Some distant volcanic tremor, and I tripped over a kerbstone that had been flat on the ground when I first went to step over it. The distant sound of echoing laughter confirmed all my suspicions. :| The bastards.

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”