Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Driving to obesity

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Driving to obesity

Postby brightncheerful » May 12th, 2021, 10:28 pm

The government is stepping up on its drive to reduce obesity by introducing calorie labelling on menus.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/calorie-labelling-on-menus-to-be-introduced-in-cafes-restaurants-and-takeaways?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=7b77b5df-7662-4cd7-8615-4ea599107807&utm_content=immediately

Personally I'd have thought discouraging driving to obesity would help and instead encouraging walking, jogging and running.

A good way to use up calories is to go to a restaurant or cafe that is renowned for slow service and instead of waiting impatiently in silence to be served, as soon as you are shown to your table shout at the top of your voice, jump up and down on the seats and table and generally make a nuisance of yourself. Ok, likely you'll get chucked out but that too is calorie expending.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Driving to obesity

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 12th, 2021, 11:00 pm

That's OK, you can be obese without driving. Look at Sir John.

If we'd had calorie labeling in my youth, I'm sure I could've avoided a few meals that left me hungry and ordered the more satisfying options ...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 12th, 2021, 11:13 pm

Ah I used to drink in a bar in Brussels called the Falstaff. He gets around a bit

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 13th, 2021, 8:39 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:That's OK, you can be obese without driving. Look at Sir John.

Blimey, John Prescott hasn't aged well, has he? Goodbye Two Jags, hello Two Jugs. :)

BJ

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 13th, 2021, 8:41 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:... a bar in Brussels called the Falstaff...

It was named after a drunk and unsteady Welshman.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 13th, 2021, 9:45 am

brightncheerful wrote:The government is stepping up on its drive to reduce obesity......

Easy. Ban power steering :)

V8 (never power steering, not fat).

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » May 13th, 2021, 11:13 am

It wont make a lot of difference, people will still eat and drink as they wish. Making dietary education compulsory might be a better way foreward. I bought "Eat Fat Grow Slim" back in 1960 and followed that diet my entire life. I went from 13.5 stone down to 10.5 stone and have maintained that weight ever since. I suppose it helps that I was a cook/executive chef and so had an interest in food values and also had the wish to keep healthy.

john

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 13th, 2021, 11:41 am

johnstevens77 wrote:It wont make a lot of difference, people will still eat and drink as they wish. Making dietary education compulsory might be a better way foreward. I bought "Eat Fat Grow Slim" back in 1960 and followed that diet my entire life. I went from 13.5 stone down to 10.5 stone and have maintained that weight ever since.

Some people can do that, and some can't. :? I lost 25 pounds a few years ago by a very approximate sort of calorie counting, and all but two pounds have stayed off. (I very roughly totted up my daily intake in my head toward the close of each day, and found that the sheer habit of thinking about calories was enough to keep me mostly on the straight and narrow.)

But, for me at least, eating out is a rare(ish) event. When I'm dining for pleasure, the last thing I want is to have some miserable so-and-so tugging at my conscience all the time. The diet can resume tomorrow.

And besides, doesn't the beleaguered hospitality trade have enough other worries to deal with at the moment?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 13th, 2021, 1:50 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:It wont make a lot of difference, people will still eat and drink as they wish. Making dietary education compulsory might be a better way foreward.

You need to educate them from birth. After all, breast milk vs substitutes is a very strong indicator for obesity later in life.

Though come to think of it, birth may well be rather too late.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » May 13th, 2021, 7:00 pm

[quote="bungeejumper"

And besides, doesn't the beleaguered hospitality trade have enough other worries to deal with at the moment?

A lot of revenue for dieticians working out the calories etc for each and every menu item! The extra expense will of course be passed on. I can't imagine the hassle daily changing menus will cause.

john

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 14th, 2021, 9:00 am

The reality will mean huge chain pubs and restaurants will do this easily.

meanwhile independently owned cafes, restaurants and pubs serving food etc can never provide a real set of nutrition figures.

Which in extreme circumstances mean such independents just close/stop serving food as the requirement becomes impossible with the penalties being too harsh for lack of correct information maybe.

And its just another indication that govt just doenst understand small business, especially in the hospitality sector.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 14th, 2021, 9:06 am

didds wrote:The reality will mean huge chain pubs and restaurants will do this easily.

meanwhile independently owned cafes, restaurants and pubs serving food etc can never provide a real set of nutrition figures.

Which in extreme circumstances mean such independents just close/stop serving food as the requirement becomes impossible with the penalties being too harsh for lack of correct information maybe.

And its just another indication that govt just doenst understand small business, especially in the hospitality sector.

The regulations just need a bit of flexibility to cope with what's practically possible; plenty of places around the globe already do this and haven't killed their local independents in the process

That's not too say this won't be a cack handed clustercuss - only that it doesn't need to be
-sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 14th, 2021, 9:12 am

servodude wrote:
The regulations just need a bit of flexibility to cope with what's practically possible; plenty of places around the globe already do this and haven't killed their local independents in the process

That's not too say this won't be a cack handed clustercuss - only that it doesn't need to be
-sd

and that of course is a p5agmatic and sensible approach. Exceot to say then whatever the figures shown are can be no more than a very very very generalised guesstimate. Over the course of a 3 course meal that could be hundreds of calories out (think cream, fried, sugar etc etc etc). So what we really end up is really not much more than

"Oi - chips are loads more calories and fat than a baked potato, which is hugely more calorific anyway than some steamed beans". Which if the eater isnt already aware of is somewhat putting the cart before the horse by presenting the info that is unlikely to be read, internalised and acted upon."

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 14th, 2021, 9:47 am

didds wrote:
servodude wrote:

-sd

and that of course is a p5agmatic and sensible approach. Exceot to say then whatever the figures shown are can be no more than a very very very generalised guesstimate. Over the course of a 3 course meal that could be hundreds of calories out (think cream, fried, sugar etc etc etc). So what we really end up is really not much more than

"Oi - chips are loads more calories and fat than a baked potato, which is hugely more calorific anyway than some steamed beans". Which if the eater isnt already aware of is somewhat putting the cart before the horse by presenting the info that is unlikely to be read, internalised and acted upon."

The biggest risk in this is that the less well-edumacated will treat the calorie content of a meal as a measure of portion size and value-for-money.

I can imagine the following convo...

"This McDonny's Fat-Burger is 2,000 calories and is the same price a Burgie-King Fat-Burger but it contains 2,300 calories so we get more fat-burger for our money. Let's go to Burgie-Kings instead of McDonny's..."

There is a pub on the canal system with a massive reputation amongst boaters because in the restaurant, they have not only low, low prices but serve HUGE portion sizes. The food quality is grim as you would imagine, but even otherwise intelligent boaters seem mesmerised by the fact they get so much food for so little money.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 14th, 2021, 10:00 am

Mike4 wrote:The biggest risk in this is that the less well-edumacated will treat the calorie content of a meal as a measure of portion size and value-for-money.

Or just the less well-fed.

When you're hungry and on a tight budget, these kinds of things matter! And if you've been trained from infancy to stock up now because you never know where the next meal is coming from ... - which is indeed very likely when away from home and therefore (in need of) eating out.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 14th, 2021, 10:05 am

Our village pub does a good Sunday lunch, which we've takeawayed a few times to help them out.
Now, our dinner plates are pretty big and I have a big appetite, but even with an overflowing plate we have enough for dinner the next day as well.
Not to say we've reached American portion sizes, but certainly too much.

I hope quality restaurants won't waste too much time on the calorie counting, after all no one is going to check.
Or will Cahncil Calorie Counter become a plum job .....

V8

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 14th, 2021, 11:57 am

I could see those that have to travel for work but otherwsie trying to "live normally" might find it useful.

But I really cant see somebody out for a celebration etc then checking the nutritional aspects of a dish to the Nth degree.

I did wonder about traffic light systems, but then for those that maybe ARE that interested the variation in diets may make such a simplistic approach meaningless

eg somebody on a keto diet will want minimal carbs but possibly doesnt give a hoot about fat content. A calorie counter may not in itself have a problem with overall carbs but prefers low fat etc

didds

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”