Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Wheelie bins

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Wheelie bins

Postby bungeejumper » November 29th, 2021, 9:36 am

Watis wrote:On the matter of recycling, how many of you are aware that soft plastics such as crisp packets and cellophane now be recycled at Coop stores?

Funny, I'd never thought of a crisp packet as a soft plastic. :) But fair enough, its great that somebody is prepared to accept that sort of stuff. Around these parts, you can get a warning letter from the council if you leave the cellophane tops on your tubs of coleslaw, or the foil on your yoghurt pots.

Until quite recently, our local garden centre was the only place where you could recycle black plastic flower pots, which can't go into the usual plastic recycling. (Apparently they confuse the optical sorting machines, so the council doesn't want them.) I believe there was a national campaign to get a recycling centre (any centre, anywhere) to spend just one day a month on recycling nothing but black pots (so no possibility of confusion), but AFAIK there were no takers. So the nation's landfill sites are filling up with hundreds of millions of black plastic pots that the councils just can't be @rsed to deal with.

Harrumph. :evil:

BJ

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 29th, 2021, 10:16 am

Bromley:

No wheelies provided except a Brown one you pay for, garden waste fortnightly/monthly. I compost and burn.

Green box for plastic/tins fortnightly. Leave out more in a bag and it will be taken

Black box for paper/cardboard fortnightly, leave out more and it will be taken

Waste fortnightly, taken from wheelie bins or mounds of black sacks. I use a galvanised dustbin from the 50's

Food waste in closeable bin weekly. I compost mine

In theory they will take small electricals, in practice they don't

All quite sensible to me, especially the ability to have surge amounts, though I don't abuse it.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 29th, 2021, 10:36 am

Black bin for landfill.
Blue bin for recyclable, including glass, paper, cardboard and hard plastics.
Green bin, if paid for, for garden waste.

Black and blue alternate weeks, green alternate weeks, but a different day.

Talk of having a caddy and a bin for food waste, but mine goes in the compost bin. Also talking of a bin for sanitary waste.

Soft plastics go to Tesco or the Co-op.

I have just bought a second compost bin, as I like to turn the contents into a second bin. My bins were home made, and one was replaced with a Garantia Eko-King 600 early this year. The new bin is to replace the other one, currently full but on its last legs. The compost goes to my neighbour for her allotment. I used to put it in my bean trench but gave up vegetable gardening when the slugs and wireworms got the upper hand. It is now a wildlife haven.

TJH

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 29th, 2021, 10:44 am

We have two grey bins for general waste, two green bins for recycling, a brown bin for garden waste, a black crate for glass and a lockable yellow bin for clinical waste...very useful for old masks.

John

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 29th, 2021, 11:09 am

bungeejumper wrote:Until quite recently, our local garden centre was the only place where you could recycle black plastic flower pots, which can't go into the usual plastic recycling.

Yes - not allowed in our plastic collection. About a month ago I took a collection of plant pots to a garden centre - their collection bins were overflowing.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 29th, 2021, 11:28 pm

scotia wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Until quite recently, our local garden centre was the only place where you could recycle black plastic flower pots, which can't go into the usual plastic recycling.

Yes - not allowed in our plastic collection. About a month ago I took a collection of plant pots to a garden centre - their collection bins were overflowing.

I got rid of about a thousand 3 inch pots on Freecycle the other week, to 2 different people. These were brown ones though. One of many presents the vendors left in an old shed.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 30th, 2021, 8:54 am

DrFfybes wrote:
scotia wrote:Yes - not allowed in our plastic collection. About a month ago I took a collection of plant pots to a garden centre - their collection bins were overflowing.

I got rid of about a thousand 3 inch pots on Freecycle the other week, to 2 different people. These were brown ones though. One of many presents the vendors left in an old shed.

Our local garden centre eventually stopped collecting black plant pots because it couldn't find a recycler willing to take them. I don't suppose it was the only one to abandon the noble cause? It's a really ridiculous situation.

I collect all our half-litre yog pots, and all the larger trays from supermarket meat etc, for propagating seedlings and suchlike. We keep the neighbourhood supplied with plants in spring, whether they want them or not. :lol: Even so, we have to clear out the surplus piles of plastic every couple of years. It's either that, or extend the shed.

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”