Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Star Wars - What's Your Favourite Character & Film/Series

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Star Wars - What's Your Favourite Character & Film/Series

Postby servodude » January 13th, 2022, 12:24 am

SalvorHardin wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:I love the first one (IV), having seen it at the cinema when it was released in 1977
I hear that Lucas has gone back and fiddled with the original, adding CGI and changing dialogue. ... hopefully the proper version is still available

Yes. The version of Star Wars on Disney+ has several changes from the original, notably that nowdays Han Solo shoots Greedo in the Cantina only after Greedo shoots first (making Imperial Stormtroopers look like crack shots). From what I've been told there are other changes, but nothing as blatant as this.

The TV series "Justified" did an excellent mickey take of "Han Shot First" this in a promo piece for series 2, where US Marshal Raylan Givens (played by Timothy Olyphant) confronts a fugitive at a table in a bar. (link below, it's only 30 seconds long).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVT0B3pPsa8

Lucasfilm returned the favour in series 2 of The Mandalorian by casting Olyphant as "The Marshal", in an episode where he basically plays Raylan Givens in the Star Wars universe.

DId they add a much smaller Jabba to Ep IV? or did I dream that?

I did see the re-issue in the cinema - and the Hale-Bopp comet in the sky while queueing to get in - so it was a while ago

- sd

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 15th, 2022, 5:38 pm

I confess that I've never seen one, even though I was probably the right age in the 1970s.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 15th, 2022, 6:21 pm

Clariman wrote:I confess that I've never seen one, even though I was probably the right age in the 1970s.

Heresy :lol: My bad :oops:

I would certainly advise you start watching them, with your grandchildren of course. It's just a great way to escape life's doldrums. And I think most children at some time during their childhood will find them entertaining. And here's the good part - if they do like Star Wars you always have options for buying Lego for them. I know Lego's not the cheapest and if you have several grandchildren Christmas can be an expensive time. We have one daughter, who's 14. She did get these three for Xmas

R2-D2 - very expensive - but it took over four days to build and it's now on display in her room. It says it's for 18+ years, but I think most children will be able to cope with this from about 13 years of age.

Star Wars A Wing Star Fighter

The Guardians Ship This is a Marvel franchise.

And please don't get me started on Harry Potter. My good lady is a fan. We have a Harry Potter room which we're about 2/3rds of the way through. And yes she sits doing HP cross stitch or Lego whilst watching TV on a night time, especially in the winter months.

If you can afford the Disney+ channel you can get access to the Star Wars films. There's also National Geographic and recently they have produced some reasonable dramas of their own.

AiY(D)

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » January 17th, 2022, 5:17 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:If you can afford the Disney+ channel you can get access to the Star Wars films. There's also National Geographic and recently they have produced some reasonable dramas of their own.

AiY(D)

Disney+ also allows you to access 2 seasons of the Mandalorian, and part way so far of Boba Fett (Jabba's kids appear in this)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 19th, 2022, 6:43 pm

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person in the UK never to have watched any Star Wars, any Star Trek, any Dr Who or any Harry Potter!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”