Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Gas prices

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
tea42
Lemon Slice

Re: Gas prices

Postby tea42 » May 20th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Dod101 wrote:
tea42 wrote:Our gas Aga costs £7.50 a day to run. Its going off at the end of the month making way for a tabletop electric oven and a two burner induction hob with water heating from our existing immersion heater - total cost £200. Good investment IMO!

Looked at getting energy from elsewhere but they are all much more expensive than our supplier Utility Warehouse.

T42

Not sure what you mean by a tabletop electric oven. And if you are going for an induction hob, get one with four plates not two (and they do not burn!) Cost £200? What is your secret?

Dod

Oven.... Cuisine King 1500W Electric Mini Oven with Dual Hot Food Warming Plates Compact Travel Camping Hob https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09R29BZX ... RGEWXE0778

Hob... AMZCHEF Double Induction Hob,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09L7ZD9R6? ... b_ap_share

Problem with these items is somewhere to put them. Fortunately we have lots of worktop space.

We rarely need 4 hobs, if we do we can use the ones on top of the oven if we arent using the oven at the same time. We could do everything with the little oven and its hobs but its a faff because hobs and oven cant be used simultaneously.
The induction hob and the oven both plug into 13a sockets. A 4 burner induction hob requires an upgraded electrical supply.

I will monitor costs carefully to see whether this approach does actually save money.

T42

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 20th, 2022, 1:13 pm

tea42 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
tea42 wrote:Our gas Aga costs £7.50 a day to run. Its going off at the end of the month making way for a tabletop electric oven and a two burner induction hob with water heating from our existing immersion heater - total cost £200. Good investment IMO!

Looked at getting energy from elsewhere but they are all much more expensive than our supplier Utility Warehouse.

T42

Not sure what you mean by a tabletop electric oven. And if you are going for an induction hob, get one with four plates not two (and they do not burn!) Cost £200? What is your secret?

Dod

Oven.... Cuisine King 1500W Electric Mini Oven with Dual Hot Food Warming Plates Compact Travel Camping Hob https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09R29BZX ... RGEWXE0778

Hob... AMZCHEF Double Induction Hob,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09L7ZD9R6? ... b_ap_share

Problem with these items is somewhere to put them. Fortunately we have lots of worktop space.

We rarely need 4 hobs, if we do we can use the ones on top of the oven if we arent using the oven at the same time. We could do everything with the little oven and its hobs but its a faff because hobs and oven cant be used simultaneously.
The induction hob and the oven both plug into 13a sockets. A 4 burner induction hob requires an upgraded electrical supply.

I will monitor costs carefully to see whether this approach does actually save money.

T42

It is almost bound to save money over £7.50 per day for the Aga. I would personally be concerned about the amount of scope your rather modest sounding equipment will give you, especially when used to an Aga.

Dod

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » May 20th, 2022, 1:57 pm

Of course Agas only have two hobs although you can cook hob stuff in the oven. You can jam more than one pot on the hobs but it doesnt work evenly. I never had an Aga before moving into this place a year ago but have found it pretty easy to use.

I am sure when its switched off there will be many complaints from the passenger seat. :lol:

T42

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 20th, 2022, 6:52 pm

Dod101 wrote:
XFool wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
* Recently dumped EoN after, without warning, they forced their monthly billing account - EoN Next - onto me.

Oh who did you change to please? Did you find someone doing quarterly accounting and no smart meter?!

British Gas, as I had an existing 'ordinary' quarterly account with them for gas. Of course they are now nagging me about the need to "replace" my old electricity meter and "we can replace your gas meter at the same time".

And why not?

Dod

I love smart meter fitters. I get about one call a week due to their gross incompetence. Often all I have to do is re-light the pilot light, which the meter monkeys don't seem willing to do. More often they will have capped off the gas supply and labelled the boiler as dangerous, just because it is an open flue format boiler. This causes the gas-user to shell out on a call-out charge from me or someone like me to visit and turn it back on again and safety-check the installation.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 20th, 2022, 7:20 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
XFool wrote: After all breathing is free (so far).

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

But air fit to breathe is a luxury that's far from universally available. And if you live somewhere heavily polluted, chances are there's a reason - like it's what you can afford.

Ahh, that explains why Central London is so much more expensive than rural Shropshire. Those particulates don't come cheap you know :)

Anyway, the 38 year old Glow-worm has just been replaced with a Vaillant, and the fixed tarrif ends in a couple of months, so we will see what the price hikes mean to us in terms of payback (I suspect it is now nearer 50 years than 'never' )

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » May 20th, 2022, 8:49 pm

Mike4 wrote:Often all I have to do is re-light the pilot light, which the meter monkeys don't seem willing to do.

Hells bells. How old does a boiler have to be to have a permanent pilot? Can't be cheap to run. The monkeys may never have seen a boiler that doesn't light itself.

dubre
2 Lemon pips

Postby dubre » May 21st, 2022, 3:42 pm

The comments of Mike4 about meter "persons" tempt me to recount my own experience of having smart meters fitted, something I would not willingly repeat. The following was roughly the sequence of events.
1 Requested to isolate solar panels. OK what if the the householder knows not how to do it? Ans. I would have to ring the office because I would be responsible if anything went wrong. So I isolate.
2 Said "person" wants to see gas appliance working ( gas fire. boiler, cooker). Presumably to witness clean flames, he measures nothing.
3 I am asked to turn everything off and informed that if the boiler does not work after he has finished he will have to condemn it and cap the gas supply
4 smart meters are fitted
5 meter person has to see me operate the boiler and light gas fire and cooker burners. working same as before
6 I switch the solar panels back on and leave him to fill his forms in.
7 I read his paperwork and find that my gas fire is deemed be faulty because he cannot find the data plate and the boiler is faulty because he cannot "see" how it is properly ventilated.Told not to worry because it makes no difference to me, " I am doing it to cover my back". Both appliances had been fully serviced by just about the best qualified gas fitter in the county.

Be warned.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 21st, 2022, 3:45 pm

genou wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Often all I have to do is re-light the pilot light, which the meter monkeys don't seem willing to do.

Hells bells. How old does a boiler have to be to have a permanent pilot? Can't be cheap to run. The monkeys may never have seen a boiler that doesn't light itself.

The one we had replaced last week dated from circa 1986.

Paul

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 21st, 2022, 4:59 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
XFool wrote: After all breathing is free (so far).

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

But air fit to breathe is a luxury that's far from universally available. And if you live somewhere heavily polluted, chances are there's a reason - like it's what you can afford.

Ahh, that explains why Central London is so much more expensive than rural Shropshire. Those particulates don't come cheap you know :)

Central London has a wide variety of housing. Much of it is away from main roads, some of it even has gardens, some of it is well-elevated. And I've never encountered a thick pall of smoke from woodburners - hundreds of times worse than traffic[1] - in central London.

[1] Can't recollect the reference, but I saw a study from I think the University of Durham that found smoke from woodburners having about 350 times higher concentrations of carcinogens compared to tobacco smoke, and the coughing for me was far, far worse than covid. If a neighbour to your west and/or south has one, you could be screwed for maybe six months a year.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”