Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 19th, 2020, 9:35 pm

scotia wrote:And yet another correction - the reference should be
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/loch-ordie.shtml and not lochie-ordie

:lol: :lol:

Whatever it's called (and lochie-ordie sounds a bit like a jolly send-up), they're gorgeous snaps. Any good swim-spots in the loch?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 19th, 2020, 10:17 pm

I think I've just fallen in love with a new place I've never seen before -

https://i.imgur.com/rVc2L6L.mp4

More drool-inducing drone footage here - https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnchantedCleanAsianelephant-mobile.mp4

The place is called Lauterbrunnen, and it's in Switzerland, and I want to go there.

Now...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 19th, 2020, 10:33 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scotia wrote:And yet another correction - the reference should be
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/loch-ordie.shtml and not lochie-ordie

:lol: :lol:

Whatever it's called (and lochie-ordie sounds a bit like a jolly send-up), they're gorgeous snaps. Any good swim-spots in the loch?

The Mill Dam (in the photo) is not deep - with the swans pulling up weed from the centre, so I suspect the weed would be a nuisance, particularly late in the season. I think Loch Ordie which is a bit further on, through beautiful country would be a better bet - although trout fishers out in the boats may take a different view. Our son's Labrador thought it was a good spot.
I have taken an involuntary swim in the nearby river Tay, while somewhat encumbered by a pair of waders. I didn't enjoy the experience. :oops:

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 20th, 2020, 11:41 am

Itsallaguess wrote:I think I've just fallen in love with a new place I've never seen before -

https://i.imgur.com/rVc2L6L.mp4

More drool-inducing drone footage here - https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnchantedCleanAsianelephant-mobile.mp4

The place is called Lauterbrunnen, and it's in Switzerland, and I want to go there.

Now...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Been there!

I visited some friends in Switzerland in the early 80s and we went skiing at Kleine Scheidegg. We took a short detour to Lauterbrunnen on the way back from Grindelwald.

Some wonderful scenery in that area. We had a great walk along the ridge across the valley from the Eiger:

--kiloran

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 20th, 2020, 12:38 pm

kiloran wrote:Been there!
I visited some friends in Switzerland in the early 80s and we went skiing at Kleine Scheidegg. We took a short detour to Lauterbrunnen on the way back from Grindelwald.
Some wonderful scenery in that area. We had a great walk along the ridge across the valley from the Eiger:
--kiloran

And clearly, from your previous write-up, its a lot less challenging country than the Campsies :D
https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=29&p=284802

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 20th, 2020, 12:49 pm

scotia wrote:And clearly, from your previous write-up, its a lot less challenging country than the Campsies :D
https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=29&p=284802

Challenging in a different way. This was part of the ridge walk across from the Eiger. Climbing is not really my thing, so I'm glad Harry got to the top and threw a rope down for me. It was a bit exposed.

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 20th, 2020, 2:07 pm

kiloran wrote:
Been there!

Brilliant - I'm very jealous.

It looks like one of the few places where I might have been able to survive the next six months!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 30th, 2020, 11:27 am

Snorvey wrote:What a difference a day makes.

Sunday morning dawn assault on Ben Rinnes (getting up for the dawn is a lot easier than a couple of months ago)......

Another couple of months and it'll be all too easy. Provided you can move quickly from warm bed to warm clothes.

Not bad. But then 24 hours later, a pal of the missus went up and took these pictures.....

Are you sure (s)he's not cheating there? ;)
(I don't quite know why, but that light really evokes *old* photos).

[edit] Actually I think the shape of those snaps is part of what's evocative. Postcards?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 30th, 2020, 11:35 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:[edit] Actually I think the shape of those snaps is part of what's evocative. Postcards?

Possibly because they are square format.

Incidentally this is the format used by Quintin Lake in his recently completed round-Britain coastal walk https://theperimeter.uk/

Scott.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 30th, 2020, 11:55 am

swill453 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:[edit] Actually I think the shape of those snaps is part of what's evocative. Postcards?

Possibly because they are square format.

Incidentally this is the format used by Quintin Lake in his recently completed round-Britain coastal walk https://theperimeter.uk/

Scott.

My first 35mm camera was 24x24mm format, an ELCA2. I later had a 60x60 folding Ilford camera before moving on to conventional 35mm. In many ways it was a good format to use, with no problems of orientation. It is not an option on my phone camera, which I have set on 4:3. I wonder whether it ought to be an option.

TJH

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 30th, 2020, 11:58 am

tjh290633 wrote:My first 35mm camera was 24x24mm format, an ELCA2. I later had a 60x60 folding Ilford camera before moving on to conventional 35mm. In many ways it was a good format to use, with no problems of orientation. It is not an option on my phone camera, which I have set on 4:3. I wonder whether it ought to be an option.

Just checked and mine, a Huawei P20 Lite, has 1:1 format as one of the options.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 30th, 2020, 12:52 pm

The first is very '2001 obelisk'.. any chimps around it getting an evolutionary upgrade ?
AC

(or 'Who's Next' album cover)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 30th, 2020, 2:22 pm

We definitely don't feel the need for an Everest challenge, however It was a lovely afternoon yesterday and we went for a ramble through the woods at the (David Marshall) Lodge above Aberfoyle.
We watched a red squirrel industriously burying (probably) acorns, and we looked out for an adder which we have seen before on our track - basking in an autumn sun. But not yesterday.
Its back to low cloud and rain today - but one of the advantages for septuagenarians that we can pick the good days for outings.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 30th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Snorvey wrote:We had a red squirrel run across the road in Aberlour on the way home. Other nature included a Roe deer grazing by the side of the road, before attempting to stare down our car, several mountain hares thundering over the hill (their coats turning ever lighter grey by the day), a buzzard sitting on a straw bale (although this was closer to home) and you could hear the ptarmigan somewhere in the distance.

It's been a miserable day in Glasgow, so the only wildlife I've seen looking out the window was a stupid fat pigeon, and a snail scurrying(?) along on the patio.
No doubt we'll have our usual five foxes round for their supper later

--kiloran

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 30th, 2020, 4:44 pm

I haven't been outside today. Highlight so far was a call about VAT with finance, so you can imagine what the rest of this grey day has been like.
Shame I don't drink in the week now.. :(

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » September 30th, 2020, 7:43 pm

We went for another walk at my beloved Arnside on Sunday. It was low tide, and the sands seemed to stretch into infinity.

Just standing there gazing out to sea the sand looked perfectly normal, but I took this from low level and it looks like a vast sea of churning mud! :shock:

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 30th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Mrs VRD and I were spending a couple of days around Loch Lomond when I saw this gravestone in the church at Luss.

Just made me sad to see such a waste of life and its consequential suffering on those left behind.

Then we decided to climb this (the one in the middle)
which was worth the effort - view back down over Loch Lommond and Luss (bottom right)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 5th, 2020, 11:46 am

Snorvey wrote:I've been accused in the past of only heading out a taking pictures in nice weather

Is there any more substance to such an accusation than a comment on your equipment, with perhaps the suggestion you should fork out an arm and a leg on a camera that can be used in the rain without risking its life?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 5th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Snorvey wrote:Is there any more substance to such an accusation than a comment on your equipment

Aren't we the paranoid one?

I didn't even read it as an accusation against anyone. And if I'd had to guess I'd've thought someone you know in person rather than online.

Actually, it wasn't you I was talking about but another LF poster who, some pages back on this thread, said something along the lines of 'it never rains where you are' (find it yourself).

Now that you mention it, I recollect that. I think I took it as a tongue-in-cheek joke on expectations about the weather in your part of the world!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 6th, 2020, 10:56 am

Snorvey wrote:And the Spey itself was looking angry....

And just to verify for any doubters that it rained - here is the Spey river level

According to my son - its a conspiracy. For the whole of September the Spey was in bare-bones territory with no fish (Salmon) running the river. Then the Salmon season ends (last day in September), it pours, the river rises and the fish run up river, safe in the knowledge that no one is allowed to catch them.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”