Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby scotia » October 6th, 2020, 11:52 am

Apologies for the last post - it looks like the river level data is constantly updated, so the link is only temporary. It worked when I first tested it - but it has now disappeared.
So I have captured it at source, and I'll try to re-display it
Yes - Snorvey got wet.
The river level data is published by SEPA (Scottish Environment Protection Agency)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 13th, 2020, 5:05 pm

The Brown Trout season has ended, so its out with the bike (electrically assisted :) ) to get some exercise. And on a trip along the Forth & Clyde canal this afternoon near Kirkintilloch I came across

An appropriate setting - since the puffers were originally built in Kirkintilloch.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 13th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Suddenly I remember where I've seen that boat before:

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 13th, 2020, 5:48 pm

scotia wrote:The Brown Trout season has ended, so its out with the bike (electrically assisted :) ) to get some exercise. And on a trip along the Forth & Clyde canal this afternoon near Kirkintilloch I came across

[image]

An appropriate setting - since the puffers were originally built in Kirkintilloch.

That puffer replica was used to deliver veg to market on the Union Canal locally last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0uyEbunbg

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 13th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Snorvey wrote:..

I don't think it just flew the 14 miles - although nothing would surprise me when it comes to the MOD's money wasting talents) ..

"Allegedly" - the USAF used to operate the occasional flight between Lakenheath and Mildenhall, a massive 4.5 miles between runway centres

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 13th, 2020, 9:58 pm

swill453 wrote:
scotia wrote:The Brown Trout season has ended, so its out with the bike (electrically assisted :) ) to get some exercise. And on a trip along the Forth & Clyde canal this afternoon near Kirkintilloch I came across

[image]

That puffer replica was used to deliver veg to market on the Union Canal locally last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0uyEbunbg

Scott.

At the turn of the century (19th to 20th) my grandfather worked as a carter in Glasgow, and one of his tasks was transporting the farming goods from barges and puffers at the canal basin down to the markets in central Glasgow. He told me that often the farmers' carts were put aboard the boats (without their horses) as they passed along the canal. So at the canal basin he had simply to attach his horse, take the full cart (downhill) to the market, then return with the empty cart, ready for the next.
So they had containerised traffic, roll-on, roll-off ferries, and with the large population of horses in the city, they also had multi-storey stables - all over a century ago. :)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 23rd, 2020, 11:01 pm

The clocks go back this weekend, and Summer Time has certainly passed. Our usual local rambles have been curtailed by the amount of rain, and the consequent mud and flood on some of our favourite paths. So this afternoon with the promise of only light rain, we thought about some tracks which would provide reasonable walking, and set off along the west end of the Campsies, heading past Cantywheery and looking over towards Dumfoyn and Dumgoyne hills (all names genuine :) )

There's a distillery at foot of Dumgoyne, and on its web site the Distillery manager quotes "I sleep easy at night knowing we are crafting world-class whisky by using the same methods as our predecessors". I wonder if that means that he nightly consumes his product. :roll:
Then back along the track, with dark clouds beginning to gather above the Strathblane Hills

And yes - we got somewhat wet.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 24th, 2020, 10:28 am

Clitheroekid wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Or is it the send key on Donald Trump's Twitter feed?

This was the closest - time for the answer ...

It's the `N' key on my keyboard, the `N' having worn off, presumably because I've typed the word `No' so many times! ;)

Are you sure it isn't laladonny's "U" key?

Julian F. G. W.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 28th, 2020, 9:41 pm

Flying between layers -

https://i.imgur.com/7E2SaeZ.mp4

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 3rd, 2020, 3:57 pm

Heard a thump on the French windows this morning and found that we have one less pigeon. 30 minutes later there was quite a mess to clear up.

RC

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 3rd, 2020, 4:04 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Heard a thump on the French windows this morning and found that we have one less pigeon. 30 minutes later there was quite a mess to clear up.

RC

Pigeons are a real pain, they're forever flying into our living room window and giving us a fright. Many years ago, there was a great thump, I looked up and there was blood dripping down the window and a very dead pigeon on the ground.

--kiloran

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 3rd, 2020, 4:22 pm

kiloran wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:Heard a thump on the French windows this morning and found that we have one less pigeon. 30 minutes later there was quite a mess to clear up.

RC

Pigeons are a real pain, they're forever flying into our living room window and giving us a fright. Many years ago, there was a great thump, I looked up and there was blood dripping down the window and a very dead pigeon on the ground.

--kiloran

I can live (and so can our small birds) with the pigeons, but I dislike the bossy-boot magpies, two pairs of which are currently disputing territory around our garden. But getting back to your pigeons - don't the foxes control their numbers?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 3rd, 2020, 4:24 pm

kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

Yes they are a pain, we have (or had) a pair living in a Spruce tree on the edge of the garden. They often hop about getting friendly on the overhead 'phone cables. I just looked out from a window upstairs and saw a lone pigeon sitting in the Spruce looking rather lonely :(

RC

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 3rd, 2020, 4:42 pm

scotia wrote:
kiloran wrote:

RC

--kiloran

I can live (and so can our small birds) with the pigeons, but I dislike the bossy-boot magpies, two pairs of which are currently disputing territory around our garden. But getting back to your pigeons - don't the foxes control their numbers?

I'm not sure if the foxes have any real effect (and we've got 5 of this year's cubs and their mum appearing every day.... there's one lying on the lawn looking at me as I write this). I do occasionally see a load of white feathers on the lawn, presumably from a pigeon, but I don't know if that was caused by a fox, a cat or the local sparrowhawk. I would think a pigeon would be a bit big for a sparrowhawk. A couple of years ago, one of our(!) foxes did catch a jackdaw and was toying with it.

Talking of pigeons and magpies, one day last week I threw some stale bread on the lawn. Within 1 femtosecond, as if out of a singularity, half a dozen pigeons appeared, followed by a couple of magpies. They were all munching away when a magpie took a dislike to a pigeon and started pecking at its tail, followed by the strange sight of a pigeon taking off with a magpie hanging from its tail feathers. It must have got 10 feet in the air and flown about 30 feet before the magpie let go.

Anyway, the more pictures of dead pigeons the better!

--kiloran

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 5th, 2020, 7:58 pm

I recently had a last minute trip to Cyprus (arriving back just before it was designated as a Plague Zone that would have put me under house arrest for 14 days). It had been fairy miserable here, so it was a delight to feel hot sunshine again and see wall to wall blue skies.

I was staying near Paphos, on the west coast, so there were some great sunsets ...

And here's another `what's that object?' type photo, though a very easy one ...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 5th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Like a megabollard

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 6th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Snorvey wrote:One of things you tie ships to?

AleisterCrowley wrote:Like a megabollard

Both correct in principle - except far from being a megabollard it's about 8 inches long! It's actually attached to the bow of a boat I was on, and the great structure on the left, towering up into the sky, is the bow rail, which is tubular steel with a diameter of about 1.5 inches.

The wonders of phone cameras! ;)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 6th, 2020, 5:19 pm

OK a microbollard..

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 6th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Is the question still open? It's a cleat.

Scott.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm

I spent the last few days of freedom with some friends in Pangbourne, and made the most of the lovely autumn weather ...

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”