Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

A Nation Mourns

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: A Nation Mourns

Postby melonfool » April 9th, 2021, 10:18 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
melonfool wrote:Ooh, update us - what's the news?

Mel

Wolves narrowly beat Fulham , but there was a terrible VAR decision against us. Should have been at least 2-0

Bad day for Richard Osman all told.

Mel

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 9th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Oooh, is he Donny's brother? Never liked Donny much, but Marie had a nice voice.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 9th, 2021, 10:31 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Wolves narrowly beat Fulham , but there was a terrible VAR decision against us. Should have been at least 2-0

Yeah but Stevo scored a ton. happy days!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 9th, 2021, 11:13 pm

Clariman wrote:That said, I know the Royal family mean a lot to a lot of people, so I'm not going to write letters of complaint.

That doesn't follow at all. Frustration at media excess doesn't mean any disrespect for the Royals.

It's not the first time the media have done this ultra-excessive coverage of a death - David Bowie springs to mind as another. It's stupid and annoying every time.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » April 9th, 2021, 11:40 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote: Frustration at media excess doesn't mean any disrespect for the Royals.

It's not the first time the media have done this ultra-excessive coverage of a death - David Bowie springs to mind as another. It's stupid and annoying every time.

Hear hear. I have felt all day that the world has come to an end, bereft of any world news. Even CNN for crying out loud. It's like a neuton bomb has hit us.

I had to watch Dr Terror's House of Horrors on Talking Pictures TV, with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Alan "fluff" Freeman, Roy Castle and Donald Sutherland. Now THERE'S a line up fit for a quiz night. It was rather good.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2021, 11:43 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Clariman wrote:That said, I know the Royal family mean a lot to a lot of people, so I'm not going to write letters of complaint.

That doesn't follow at all. Frustration at media excess doesn't mean any disrespect for the Royals.

Because it is easy. Deaths of prominent 99 year olds are predictable and can be planned for. When it happens you just turn on the spigot of canned, emotional pap, and take some well deserved time off.

Nothing beats maudlin self-pity and the beeb loves to pander to it.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 9th, 2021, 11:44 pm

simsqu wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote: Frustration at media excess doesn't mean any disrespect for the Royals.

Hear hear. I have felt all day that the world has come to an end, bereft of any world news. Even CNN for crying out loud. It's like a neuton bomb has hit us.

I had to watch Dr Terror's House of Horrors on Talking Pictures TV, with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Alan "fluff" Freeman, Roy Castle and Donald Sutherland. Now THERE'S a line up fit for a quiz night. It was rather good.

And I've resorted to listening to "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull on Spotify.

Still good, fifty years on!!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 9th, 2021, 11:51 pm

I can vote for that - not sure about the sperm in the gutter/love in the sink though. Sound vaguely rude?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 10th, 2021, 12:22 am

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Because it is easy. Deaths of prominent 99 year olds are predictable and can be planned for. When it happens you just turn on the spigot of canned, emotional pap, and take some well deserved time off.

I doubt that contacting and interviewing loads of bereft celebs, getting vox pop from the man in the street, sending reporters to every castle in the UK, and abroad, counting bunches of flowers and reading their tedious tributes, reading live every utterance of every world dignitary, cutting to various live words of condolence, having to change your outfit and stay on air for twenty four hours is easier than just running the VT of programmes already recorded and scheduled.

Mel

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 10th, 2021, 12:31 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I can vote for that - not sure about the sperm in the gutter/love in the sink though. Sound vaguely rude?

Yes a particularly charming lyric of Ian's; one I always notice too!

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » April 10th, 2021, 8:02 am

melonfool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:That doesn't follow at all. Frustration at media excess doesn't mean any disrespect for the Royals.

I doubt that contacting and interviewing loads of bereft celebs, getting vox pop from the man in the street, sending reporters to every castle in the UK, and abroad, counting bunches of flowers and reading their tedious tributes, reading live every utterance of every world dignitary, cutting to various live words of condolence, having to change your outfit and stay on air for twenty four hours is easier than just running the VT of programmes already recorded and scheduled.

Mel

These obituaries have been in the vault for years. And vacuous interviews with the great and good are not exactly challenging... it is what they do, day in, day out.

I'd rather they did a bit more serious investigative journalism. It's not as if there's nothing going on the world. Now that would involve a bit of work.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » April 10th, 2021, 8:08 am

melonfool wrote:... having to change your outfit and stay on air for twenty four hours
Mel

Even the fecking weather men/women were in black. It's just quite ridiculous and I am getting more and more worked up about the hypocrisy of the whole affair.

I happen to know someone who actually was personally involved with certain dealings with the late prince, and by all accounts he was not a particularly pleasant person, and we all know his distasteful views on various subjects.

What's wrong with people?

And when am I going to see the MasterChef Final, more's to the point.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » April 10th, 2021, 8:24 am

Biden was right - PP was 'a heck of a guy'

I met him once over 20 years ago when I took my daughter to St James Palace to get her DofE Award. He came round seeing everyone, being interested in everything and charming to everyone, in his late 70s. It is easy to mock his occasional unfortunate remark but we are all a product of our times and upbringing. Being the husband of the monarch must be a difficult role to fill, always 2nd fiddle, but he did it very well for so long and it was a life devoted to public service.

He also made a deep impression on my uncle. PP was standing next to him at an outdoor function, back in the 60s, and lent heavily down on his umbrella, which at that point was resting on my uncle's shoe - ouch! :D

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 10th, 2021, 9:05 am

I think the BBC are in a no win situation. If they didn't give wall to wall coverage, the UK Government, the Daily Mail, Telegraph and Express would criticise the BBC for being left-wing republicans who weren't showing sufficient respect for Royalty.

I would rather there was far less coverage, but it will pass.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 10th, 2021, 9:31 am

Clariman wrote:I think the BBC are in a no win situation. If they didn't give wall to wall coverage, the UK Government, the Daily Mail, Telegraph and Express would criticise the BBC for being left-wing republicans who weren't showing sufficient respect for Royalty.

Yes but the burning question is when?

Day two and R4, R5 and R6 and Times Radio still giving it blanket coverage. Are we in for the full eight days of this?

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 10th, 2021, 9:37 am

If Prince Phil had survived a few more months and reached 100 would he have received a portrait card from the Queen and her congratulations.

Now we will never know.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 10th, 2021, 9:38 am

Mike4 wrote:
Clariman wrote:I think the BBC are in a no win situation. If they didn't give wall to wall coverage, the UK Government, the Daily Mail, Telegraph and Express would criticise the BBC for being left-wing republicans who weren't showing sufficient respect for Royalty.

Day two and R4, R5 and R6 and Times Radio still giving it blanket coverage. Are we in for the full eight days of this?

I think like the virus waning it will start gradually. My favourite radio station (Planet Rock) is back to normal fare after a part day of playing all their most mournful songs.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 10th, 2021, 9:42 am

Gersemi wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

I think like the virus waning it will start gradually. My favourite radio station (Planet Rock) is back to normal fare after a part day of playing all their most mournful songs.

Oh excellent, that must be the first straw in the wind...

And now I've just encountered another. Sean Daniel (very entertaining American guitar tutor) just uploaded a video reviewing some new bit of looping kit, and NOT ONE MENTION of the DoE passing.... Yay!!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 10th, 2021, 9:59 am

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

No problem with them broadcasting a lot about him. Some of it is actually not bad. And it will have to continue for something like the full eight days to match Bowie.

They crossed the line when they interrupted a programme I was listening to (anyone would think something serious had happened - like Boris had hit the big red button). And then the sheer blanket coverage to the exclusion of all else.

Glad now I was in Italy when Diana happened. And I dread what they might inflict on us for the truly ghastly Dylan: at least Bowie was inoffensive.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 10th, 2021, 10:07 am

sg31 wrote:If Prince Phil had survived a few more months and reached 100 would he have received a portrait card from the Queen and her congratulations.

Now we will never know.

Apparently the Queen Mum got one from Lizzie so presumably he would have. But it's not automatic, you have to apply, or someone applies for you.

Mel

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”