Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

SPOTY

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Re: SPOTY

Postby LadyGagarin » November 29th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Fatrav wrote:Not Joey Barton then?

Well seriously,if Tyson Fury can be nominated, not to mention numerous non-personalities (anyone remember Nigel Mansell?) why not Barton? It's called S Personality OTY and Joseph certainly has a personality - the fact not everyone likes it - and that he isn't necessarily top of his game - doesn't prevent him fulfilling the criteria.

We need a clearer definition of the rules - on present ones, just because someone fails to abide by accepted social standards doesn't prevent their nomination.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 29th, 2016, 7:20 pm

According to Wikipedia "The panel produces a shortlist that reflects UK sporting achievements on the national and/or international stage, represents the breadth and depth of UK sports and takes into account ‘impact’ within and beyond the sport or sporting achievement in question." So not really to do with the individual nominee's "personality" at all. And never has been, as far as I know.

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 30th, 2016, 9:22 am

yep... "personality" was a title decided upon by the BBC at the very beginning and has clearly never actually meant anything but "person". (Did Reed Rum win it one year? "creature" then!)

didds

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 30th, 2016, 11:13 am

Not a great Murray fan I'm afraid (comes from his early antipathy towards the English - although I would be the same in his position I would imagine - whilst I was working for a Scottish company - guess it shows how first impressions are incredibly powerful), and had another of my rants last year when as a winner he "wasn't even the best in the world at his sport (some might say best in his family in that respect)" when others on the shortlist clearly were. Well he has knocked that (lame?) excuse into touch this time round so I can't be disappointed should he follow up this time round.

It would be a shame though, especially in an Olympics year when the chances of more minority sports to get noticed and rewarded. The Kenny/Cycling vote split will harm their chances, Vardy and Bale unlikely to get votes from across the spectrum of football supporters, and swimming, hockey, female boxing, are too poorly followed to generate the necessary votes. Golf's candidate this year can hardly be described as household name, and not as deserving as previous "losers" from his sport.

Controversial statement, but I see it very unlikely that any paralympian will garner enough support, regardless of how their individual achievements have arisen, and the challenges they may have overcome on the way.

Given what we have seen this year (and not just in the UK) with outcomes decided by the "voting public" it would be nice to see a surprise, but it would be unlikely. Personally I would love for awards and celebrations to go to those that have truly demonstrated excellence in their fields (being world champions say), and not just this year, but more than once, or over an extended career. The closest candidate to this for me (on a shortlist that would also include Trott/Kenny/Farah/Brownlee) would be Nick Skelton. Representing your country at seven Olympics and winning a gold medal, and having done so coming back from a broken neck, is some achievement and back story.

Unlikely to happen though, so let's just hope we get a smile from our "dour" Scot this year, and maybe the decency to attend in person rather than accept "in abstentia" from some training camp like in 2013 (last year he did to be fair).

The absences from the shortlist are more intriguing than the winner to me though. Three immediately spring to mind. (The unknighted - I bet that rankles when he looks at Bradley Wiggins) Chris Froome wins a 3rd Tour de France and an Olympic medal yet doesn't make the shortlist. Anthony Joshua who has won a Heavyweight World boxing belt, a shoe-in to the shortlist in the past, misses out. Alastair Cook becoming the first English cricketer to accumulate over 10,000 test runs is also notable for his absence (do cricketers only get considered in "Ashes years?).

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Postby Skotch » December 1st, 2016, 2:41 pm

What do you think the odds would be on a Leicester City Treble - SPOTY, Coach of the Year and Team of the Year?

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 18th, 2016, 10:33 pm

LadyGagarin wrote:
Fatrav wrote:Not Joey Barton then?

Well seriously,if Tyson Fury can be nominated, not to mention numerous non-personalities (anyone remember Nigel Mansell?) ...

Does "Sports Personality of the year" mean "Good Entertainment value of the year," or does it mean, "The sports person who most excelled at their sport this year?" Is SPOTY about personality above achievements?

Nigel Mansell became World F1 champion and then switched across to the CART Indy Car World Series and won that in his rookie season.
Think about that for a minute - F1 driver becomes world champion, changes to a different type of car racing and immediately becomes world champion in that as well?
That is a stunning, unique achievement that is worthy of celebrating and acknowledging, and to reject him from SPOTY because he's not TV friendly denigrates the value of his achievements. That's what they should all be judged on, their achievements, otherwise it's just a vacuous beauty contest dressed up as something else.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » December 19th, 2016, 12:04 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:That's what they should all be judged on, their achievements, otherwise it's just a vacuous beauty contest dressed up as something else.

It's a popularity contest. Nothing more. What else do you expect when you let the public vote? Success, or otherwise, has little to do with it.

Gryff

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » December 19th, 2016, 7:50 am

What else could it be, other than a popularity contest? How do you objectively determine whose achievement is the greatest, out of (say) an F1 supremo, a heavyweight boxing champion and an Olympic 10,000m gold medalist? You're really comparing apples and oranges, the only way to settle the contest is on subjective criteria.

Or perhaps they could keep re-running the vote until the public gets it right. ;)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 19th, 2016, 8:06 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Nigel Mansell became World F1 champion and then switched across to the CART Indy Car World Series and won that in his rookie season.
Think about that for a minute - F1 driver becomes world champion, changes to a different type of car racing and immediately becomes world champion in that as well?
That is a stunning, unique achievement that is worthy of celebrating and acknowledging, and to reject him from SPOTY because he's not TV friendly denigrates the value of his achievements.

More likely he was "rejected" because nobody in the UK has heard of thr CART Indy Car "World" Series.

Scott.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 19th, 2016, 12:51 pm

swill453 wrote:
NomoneyNohoney wrote:Nigel Mansell became World F1 champion and then switched across to the CART Indy Car World Series and won that in his rookie season.
That is a stunning, unique achievement that is worthy of celebrating and acknowledging, and to reject him from SPOTY because he's not TV friendly denigrates the value of his achievements.

More likely he was "rejected" because nobody in the UK has heard of thr CART Indy Car "World" Series.

Scott.

Nowadays perhaps, but:
"The Indy 500 is still, however, the largest single-day sporting event on the planet in terms of live attendence. Yes, even bigger than the Super Bowl. Permanent seating capacity at the Brickyard is just over a quarter of a million seats, but with extra infield capacity that's put into place for Raceday, attendance of the annual event routinely tops 400,000. "
In its day, CART was big.

coleyfish
Lemon Pip

Postby coleyfish » December 19th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Ashfordian wrote:The shortlist is out - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/38128821

Gareth Bale - Football
Alistair Brownlee - Triathlon
Mo Farah - Athletics
Laura Kenny - Cycling
Andy Murray - Tennis
Nick Skelton - Equestrian

The above six are who I think are going to be the main contenders, however I'm struggling to see past Andy Murray as the vote for Laura Kenny(nee Trott) will be diluted by there being 2 other cyclists on the list. Maybe Mo Farah being the only person from athletics will give him a boost although I'm not sure it is enough to overcome the tennis vote.

Not too surprised Andy Murray won it given he's Wimbledon Champion, Olympic Gold and number 1 but what I don't understand is this.

Just what does Mo Farah have to do to win it?

Double Olympic Gold two Olympics running, double World Champion, double European Champion and he has a personality.

What do the voting public want exactly?

Oh and Nick Skelton third - really?

Coleyfish

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 19th, 2016, 2:55 pm

coleyfish wrote:Not too surprised Andy Murray won it given he's Wimbledon Champion, Olympic Gold and number 1 but what I don't understand is this.

Just what does Mo Farah have to do to win it?

Double Olympic Gold two Olympics running, double World Champion, double European Champion and he has a personality.

Given the above, the logical answer would be for him to do that in a year when Andy Murray doesn't get "Wimbledon Champion, Olympic Gold and number 1".

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Misnomer

Postby bungeejumper » December 19th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Andy Murray? Personality? Shurely shome mishtake?

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Misnomer

Postby swill453 » December 19th, 2016, 3:01 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Andy Murray? Personality? Shurely shome mishtake?

It's never been about personalities, the BBC just incorrectly use the word to mean "person".

Scott.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Re: Misnomer

Postby StepOne » December 19th, 2016, 3:24 pm

swill453 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Andy Murray? Personality? Shurely shome mishtake?

It's never been about personalities, the BBC just incorrectly use the word to mean "person".

Scott.

It is about sporting achievement (not personality) but in fact I would say that Andy displays more personality than most recent recipients. He does seem to gives honest, off-the-cuff responses when interviewed, rather than always media-friendly soundbites. Okay, so he is gruff and downbeat, but at least what you see is what you get in my opinion.

StepOne

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » December 19th, 2016, 6:13 pm

CF

Nick Skelton came third because the racing fraternity rallied around and promoted him - as they did previously for Tony McCoy.

T7

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”