Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Games

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Re: The Games

Postby Gaggsy » February 20th, 2018, 5:51 pm

UncleIan wrote:As for facilities...there's a start track in Bath they can use to practice their starts

And surely that's all you need to practice.
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, after that it's downhill all the way.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 20th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Gaggsy wrote:At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, after that it's downhill all the way.

The sledging events all seem to have some kind of steering, whether by levers or by leaning the body or something. Some find themselves crashing, there must be some skill involved.

Scott.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » February 26th, 2018, 10:46 am

Snorvey wrote:Well there we go. Only £5,600,000 per shiny thing.

What a bargain.

As most of it comes from the muppets that play the lottery, I'm struggling to give a toss. Seeing as that wouldn't get you half a decent footballer, seems like a decent return to me.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 26th, 2018, 12:05 pm

UncleIan wrote:As most of it comes from the muppets that play the lottery, I'm struggling to give a toss. Seeing as that wouldn't get you half a decent footballer, seems like a decent return to me.

Yeah, but a footballer turns out once/twice a week for a crowd of thousands, for nine months of the year. Doesn't go swanning off-piste for months at a time because nobody's looking. ;)

BJ

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » February 26th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Billy Morgan is our local lad.

He can probably play quite good football.

I'd like to see any footballer attempt a "big air" jump at one twentieth the height of Billy's. Or skiing and jumping backwards like Isabel Atkin.

Come on chaps, we didn't do too badly at the Winter Olympics competing against world-class players and many of our athletes who won medals were not from the "upper set".

Genuine question as I'm not a football follower and I don't know the answer. Do any of our football teams win international competitions these days?

In the "old days" I seem to remember Manchester United or Liverpool winning European competitions but it seems to me, even with our imported players, that our football teams are not in the top league of international football these days. I can remember enjoying watching George Best and his team mates playing at Trafford Park in the sixties and one had the idea that we were watching world class players. And some of the players even came from the Manchester area.

Silly question, what is the pleasure in watching second rate teams play these days?

As a long-term watcher and supporter of Lewis Hamilton, at least he wins!

Perhaps I better get my coat .........

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 4th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Naaah, that's a green screen picture taken in Croydon, with just enough of the London fog included so as to obscure exactly half the beach. (Check the footprints.)

Jeez, I know we've had discussions on this board about too much photoshopping, but that tastefully fade-to-grey pic is somewhere between a Lands End catalogue and a brochure for a Saga cruise. I do like the artfully photoshopped seagulls, though - just gathering in the background and waiting for something edible to fall off a surfboard.

Games? What games? Another two weeks of organised cheating, drug busts and tear-stained plucky brit stories. Can't wait. :(

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”