Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
robbelg
Lemon Slice

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Postby robbelg » March 9th, 2018, 5:56 pm

A new series of HHGTTG, Hexagonal Phase, is now available on BBC iPlayer

Rob

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Postby bungeejumper » March 9th, 2018, 6:36 pm

I'm in two minds about this. The eighties version was so spot-on with its clunky technology that it just seemed so right. And that guide - well, it wouldn't have been very impressive in the age of the smartphone, would it? I'm afraid of bursting Douglas Adams's glorious bubble. I hardly dare to look.

Tell me one thing, though. Does the Vogon still look like Theresa May?

BJ

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » March 9th, 2018, 7:08 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Tell me one thing, though. Does the Vogon still look like Theresa May?

BJ

Sorry its radio only

Rob

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 9th, 2018, 8:47 pm

robbelg wrote:Sorry its[sic] radio only

Like the 1978 original. Before the nonsense set in.

And with surviving members of the original cast!

I listened to the first episode. Some amusing gags, but it has yet to convince me that it adds anything (unless you count a topical reference).

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » March 10th, 2018, 9:49 am

robbelg wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Tell me one thing, though. Does the Vogon still look like Theresa May?
BJ

Sorry it's radio only
Rob

Pictures are always better on the radio, you know that. So, yes. Or no. YMMV.

I listened to the first episode and, tbh, the first 20 minutes were just a jumble. No plot, just forced means of introducing all the characters one by one and John Lloyd overdoing the narration. Douglas Adams managed to introduce everyone as and when needed, there was no need for the overlaborious contrived introductions.

Picked up a bit in the last 10 minutes or so but probably not enough for me to listen to the rest. I'd rather keep my 40 year old memories with the original voices intact.

Now, where did I put that boxed set...

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » March 10th, 2018, 2:59 pm

AndyPandy wrote:
robbelg wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Tell me one thing, though. Does the Vogon still look like Theresa May?
BJ

Sorry it's radio only
Rob

Pictures are always better on the radio, you know that. So, yes. Or no. YMMV.

I listened to the first episode and, tbh, the first 20 minutes were just a jumble. No plot, just forced means of introducing all the characters one by one and John Lloyd overdoing the narration. Douglas Adams managed to introduce everyone as and when needed, there was no need for the overlaborious contrived introductions.

Picked up a bit in the last 10 minutes or so but probably not enough for me to listen to the rest. I'd rather keep my 40 year old memories with the original voices intact.

Now, where did I put that boxed set...

Whilst I did find it clunky I think the criticism re character introduction is slightly unfair.

In the original series characters could be introduced on their first entry stage left, with the new show that cannot work, Ford, Trillian, Arthur, Random , Zaphod et al cannot do scenes to be introduced to one another as they all already know one another, so for the listener who does not know the characters such introductions are necessary. One either gets them all dealt with episode one or drags out extra added bits each time an existing character pops up, frankly getting them mainly out of the way hopefully will allow future episodes to flow much better.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 13th, 2018, 8:29 am

whilst of course R4 and "we" shouldn't reject any opportunity for new fans maybe this was an opportunity for a sort of trailer/prequel to the new series for new listeners to become au fait with the characters? Otherwise "old fans" will know all these characters anbd don;t "need" any introduction... in the same way the orig8ial series didn;t constantly remind everyone of who everybody is.

??

whatever... looking forward to hearing Ep 1 on listen again today (been busy!)

didds

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”